December 9th 2015 Weekly Session

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the 2nd last chat session of 2015! I'll be with you for most of the day today

Here are the issues I am currently tracking:

• Shipping Discounts not shown to buyers outside of Canada (merritt-motorcycle-salvage)
  • Missing Tracked Packet International destinations on Calculated Shipping: Austria, Brazil, Italy and South Korea (mjwl2006)
  • UPC codes suddenly not recognized on live listings (mjwl2006)
  • Shipping FVF discrepancies on combined orders with discounted shipping (dutchman48)

And the issues for which I have had news:

• Gallery pictures missing from live listings (jt-libra) - View Item page team is looking into this
  • SYI form stripping weight value when switching currency - The team is working to figure out a solution to this.
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: December 9th 2015 Weekly Session

There is still an ongoing issue with...

"Save on shipping. This seller offers shipping discounts when you purchase two or more eligible items using the cart." is not visible to all countries outside of canada on all items that have lettermail selected for domestic shipping. This is big problem as smaller items are more likely to be combined by buyers, yet they are lead to believe these items are not available for shipping discounts.

example: eBay item number: 111794199365

or choose Sort by:Price + Shipping: lowest first in store to view numerous items with this issue.

Combined shipping discount rules are removed when using sell similar and must be selected due to listing currency being defaulted to CAD adding even more frustration and time consuming process when listing items.

I have brought both these issues up on multiple occasions and they keep getting swept under the rug. I would appreciate a straight answer as to whether or not these issues will be fixed or not to. 

Thank you

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

There is still an ongoing issue with...

"Save on shipping. This seller offers shipping discounts when you purchase two or more eligible items using the cart." is not visible to all countries outside of canada on all items that have lettermail selected for domestic shipping. This is big problem as smaller items are more likely to be combined by buyers, yet they are lead to believe these items are not available for shipping discounts.

example: eBay item number: 111794199365

or choose Sort by:Price + Shipping: lowest first in store to view numerous items with this issue.

Combined shipping discount rules are removed when using sell similar and must be selected due to listing currency being defaulted to CAD adding even more frustration and time consuming process when listing items.

I have brought both these issues up on multiple occasions and they keep getting swept under the rug. I would appreciate a straight answer as to whether or not these issues will be fixed or not to. 

Thank you

Hello merritt-motorcycle-salvage,

Sorry it seems I let this one fall through the cracks. I have re-added it to my list of tracked issues and will give news as I get them.

The combined shipping rules are currency-specific; you only have USD rules created. When you use Sell Similar and end up with a new listing defaulting in CAD, your combined shipping rules won't show up as an option until you switch the listing back to USD. This is not a bug, it is working as designed so please don't expect a fix. If you use Relist instead of Sell Similar, your listing will remain in USD and your combined shipping rules should still be there. You can also edit a listing when you use Relist.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Is eBay doing anything when a seller uses keyword spamming to get more views for his items? I know a seller who adds "no prop" on ALL of his listings titles to get more views. It is VERY annoying to search for props and have results of anything but props... I reported this seller many times, and yet, he's still doing this. Which is why I'm asking if eBay does something to prevent it? Thank you!

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

Is eBay doing anything when a seller uses keyword spamming to get more views for his items? I know a seller who adds "no prop" on ALL of his listings titles to get more views. It is VERY annoying to search for props and have results of anything but props... I reported this seller many times, and yet, he's still doing this. Which is why I'm asking if eBay does something to prevent it? Thank you!

Hello lady.stark,

Although there are systems in place to catch sellers who use keyword spamming, such policies are mostly enforced based on reports from members like you. Keep in mind that as a reporter, you won't necessarily see the outcome of eBay's investigation or the action taken as a result of your report. These things are kept confidential between the affected seller and eBay. Occasionally, some sellers continue to breach policy even after repeated warnings, this usually results in harsher consequences. This is why it's important to continue reporting when you see issues that bother you. 

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Hi Raphael, 

I'd like to ask again about something I brought up last week, and perhaps you could add this to your "glitch list". 

I've noticed that when using "Sell Similar", the SYI item not only defaults to $Cdn currency (which is one thing), but what is worse -- it seems to not strip out the numeric value of the item price (in the price box further on), nor the shipping values.   

The big problem with this, as I've experienced myself, is that if a seller isn't watching carefully, an item could slip into a live listing with not only the wrong currency, but with a price that has not been converted to that currency.  An item originally listed at $50 US will be shown as $50 Cdn, obviously a ca. 25% loss to the sellers these days, in addition to the unintended 25% reduction in shipping costs displayed in the wrong currency.  

Can you please let us know whether eBay is working to correct this problem?

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi Raphael, 

I'd like to ask again about something I brought up last week, and perhaps you could add this to your "glitch list". 

I've noticed that when using "Sell Similar", the SYI item not only defaults to $Cdn currency (which is one thing), but what is worse -- it seems to not strip out the numeric value of the item price (in the price box further on), nor the shipping values.   

The big problem with this, as I've experienced myself, is that if a seller isn't watching carefully, an item could slip into a live listing with not only the wrong currency, but with a price that has not been converted to that currency.  An item originally listed at $50 US will be shown as $50 Cdn, obviously a ca. 25% loss to the sellers these days, in addition to the unintended 25% reduction in shipping costs displayed in the wrong currency.  

Can you please let us know whether eBay is working to correct this problem?

Hi rose-dee,

Yes we are working on this. We have a work ticket already open to address this and I should have an ETA for deployment shortly.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:
Hi rose-dee,

Yes we are working on this. We have a work ticket already open to address this and I should have an ETA for deployment shortly.

Thank you Raphael.  Of course now that I got my hand caught in the wringer once, I'll be watching out for this problem, but other sellers may not yet be aware and will lose money they never intended to lose.  The quicker this gets addressed, the better. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Hi Raphael,

It seems that more and more international buyers are having their goods shipped to the U.S. and then have them forwarded overseas. I recently had a sale to someone overseas that is on my exclusion list but because their shipping address was in the U.S the sale automatically went through.  As a seller I am responsible to see that the goods get to the address listed in a timely manner as well as in good shape. My fear is that goods may arrive to the ship address just fine but end up being either lost or damaged on the second leg of it's journey .  Is a seller on the hook even after it's sent on to it's final destination? Because what is to stop someone from claiming that it was the seller's fault even if the loss/damage happened after leaving the initial ship address?  Lastly if after finding out that an order is to be forwarded to the original buyer who lives in a country that you don't normally ship to is it advisable or even possible to cancel the order without repercussions? Thanks!

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@gemaddict wrote:

Hi Raphael,

It seems that more and more international buyers are having their goods shipped to the U.S. and then have them forwarded overseas. I recently had a sale to someone overseas that is on my exclusion list but because their shipping address was in the U.S the sale automatically went through.  As a seller I am responsible to see that the goods get to the address listed in a timely manner as well as in good shape. My fear is that goods may arrive to the ship address just fine but end up being either lost or damaged on the second leg of it's journey .  Is a seller on the hook even after it's sent on to it's final destination? Because what is to stop someone from claiming that it was the seller's fault even if the loss/damage happened after leaving the initial ship address?

Hi gemaddict,

Normally you would only be on the hook to get the item shipped safely to the address provided by the buyer at checkout. Beyond that, it would be considered as in the buyer's custody. With that said, it may get a bit complicated if there is a claim of damage, especially if you didn't originally ship with tracking. You'd then have the burden to prove that the item safely arrived to its first destination.

@gemaddict wrote:

Lastly if after finding out that an order is to be forwarded to the original buyer who lives in a country that you don't normally ship to is it advisable or even possible to cancel the order without repercussions? Thanks!

Under these circumstances, you should be able to cancel the transaction on grounds that the buyer didn't meet your requirements, with no risk of a defect against you.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@gemaddict wrote:

Hi Raphael,

It seems that more and more international buyers are having their goods shipped to the U.S. and then have them forwarded overseas. I recently had a sale to someone overseas that is on my exclusion list but because their shipping address was in the U.S the sale automatically went through.  As a seller I am responsible to see that the goods get to the address listed in a timely manner as well as in good shape. My fear is that goods may arrive to the ship address just fine but end up being either lost or damaged on the second leg of it's journey .  Is a seller on the hook even after it's sent on to it's final destination? Because what is to stop someone from claiming that it was the seller's fault even if the loss/damage happened after leaving the initial ship address?

Hi gemaddict,

Normally you would only be on the hook to get the item shipped safely to the address provided by the buyer at checkout. Beyond that, it would be considered as in the buyer's custody. With that said, it may get a bit complicated if there is a claim of damage, especially if you didn't originally ship with tracking. You'd then have the burden to prove that the item safely arrived to its first destination.

@gemaddict wrote:

Lastly if after finding out that an order is to be forwarded to the original buyer who lives in a country that you don't normally ship to is it advisable or even possible to cancel the order without repercussions? Thanks!

Under these circumstances, you should be able to cancel the transaction on grounds that the buyer didn't meet your requirements, with no risk of a defect against you.

I've read about at least one seller who received a defect because they cancelled a transaction for an international ebayer who had an address in the U.S. I've always thought that it would be a defect because a seller's preferences are about where they ship to. If the buyer is asking them to ship to the U.S., their requirements are being met so I don't see how it would be a genuine cancellation.

I don't think that I've ever had a problem with a customer that forwarded their item (touch wood)  so although it can happen, I don't think it is a huge problem.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Good evening,

Did ebay announce something about handling times and delivery estimates? I'm confused. This is from an industry blog post: http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2015/12/1449632618.html

"On Monday, eBay announced changes to the way it calculates estimated delivery dates that are displayed to shoppers on seller listings. But it may not have realized when it announced it was eliminating "extensions" that sellers didn't know of their existence in the first place.

"eBay started off explaining, 'To improve buyer satisfaction, eBay adds an extension to estimated delivery dates for sellers who consistently miss their handling times. Currently, this extended delivery date is also used to determine a seller's on-time shipping rate (an important part of our more objective seller standards).'"

What is this about? 

Thanks,
Maureen 
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Further to 'mj's query, I'm very curious about this too, and in addition would like to know why extensions were being given to sellers (apparently who weren't meeting the necessary shipping timelines) in the first place.  

Clearly it seems to me you don't reward bad service by making it even easier for sellers to worry less about getting items to buyers on time. 

Oh and, ahem ... if it was possible to add "extensions" to timelines, why can't eBay:

1)  Add extensions across the board for, say, the first 6 months of the programme, to get sellers accustomed to the new rules; and 

2)  Add extensions to our domestic shipping times, as it seems eBay doesn't recognize that it takes longer to ship from NS to BC for example, than from Ontario to Quebec; 

3)  Add extensions on eBay.ca during the Canadian winter, when delays are virtually inevitable due to weather?

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Raphael, could you comment on this please?  Many are wondering if this is a bona fide survey or a scam directed at eBay sellers: 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/quot-Increase-Your-Sales-quot-Survey/m-p/321194#U321194

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

One last question... 

I posted the following message today on Seller Central, but I'd like to ask you directly -- is there any good reason this principle can't be incorporated into the "on-time delivery" question, especially since Canadian sellers are far more likely to encounter cross-border delays in shipping?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"This morning I noticed a big, bright ad on my landing page promising "Last Minute" Christmas gift delivery for items listed by participating sellers, i.e. promising these items would arrive before Christmas.  That in itself got me shaking my head in disbelief.  But wait -- read the fine print: 

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/ca/termsandconditions/LastMinuteGifts.pdf?_trkparms=clkid%3D17868...

Note the final sentence: 

"Participating seller is not responsible for delays in delivery caused by events beyond its control such as, but not limited to, delays caused by the shipping carrier, severe weather or force majeure."

So exclusions apply.  Hmm...Where else could we use that wording?

It seems to me that it's a blatant contradiction that eBay is willing to add such exclusions to a specific promo but not to the on-time delivery policy. 

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I've read about at least one seller who received a defect because they cancelled a transaction for an international ebayer who had an address in the U.S. I've always thought that it would be a defect because a seller's preferences are about where they ship to. If the buyer is asking them to ship to the U.S., their requirements are being met so I don't see how it would be a genuine cancellation.

I don't think that I've ever had a problem with a customer that forwarded their item (touch wood)  so although it can happen, I don't think it is a huge problem.

Hi pjcdn,

It's possible that a seller would get a defect as a result of such a cancellation, but they should be able to appeal it with CS if they know the buyer was using a proxy address to work around their countries blocked for shipping. 

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Good evening,

Did ebay announce something about handling times and delivery estimates? I'm confused. This is from an industry blog post: http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2015/12/1449632618.html

"On Monday, eBay announced changes to the way it calculates estimated delivery dates that are displayed to shoppers on seller listings. But it may not have realized when it announced it was eliminating "extensions" that sellers didn't know of their existence in the first place.

"eBay started off explaining, 'To improve buyer satisfaction, eBay adds an extension to estimated delivery dates for sellers who consistently miss their handling times. Currently, this extended delivery date is also used to determine a seller's on-time shipping rate (an important part of our more objective seller standards).'"

What is this about? 

Thanks,
Maureen 

Hi Maureen,

I'm reaching out to the US Shipping team to better understand this. I have to admit I was unaware that delivery estimates were being extended for sellers who were consistently missing their stated handling time, but in a world where shipping time was solely measured via the related DSR rating left by buyers, I could see this as a way to help mitigate the impact on a seller's rating. Further, stopping that practice now that eBay is moving to a model more based on tracking data than buyer opinion also kind of makes sense. In any case, I'll find out more.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

"eBay is moving to a model more based on tracking data than buyer opinion "

????

I must be missing something.

eBay is currently asking buyers opinion as to whether an item was mailed on time or not based on their recollection at time of posting feedback.  When items are shipped without tracking - and that is a very large percentage of transactions by Canadian sellers - the buyer's opinion or recollection determine is a "default" has taken place.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Hi rose-dee,

@rose-dee wrote:

Further to 'mj's query, I'm very curious about this too, and in addition would like to know why extensions were being given to sellers (apparently who weren't meeting the necessary shipping timelines) in the first place.  

Clearly it seems to me you don't reward bad service by making it even easier for sellers to worry less about getting items to buyers on time.  

I'm not going to say such a practice was the best way to achieve lower buyer dissatisfaction, but I'm pretty sure that was the goal.

@rose-dee wrote:

Oh and, ahem ... if it was possible to add "extensions" to timelines, why can't eBay:

1)  Add extensions across the board for, say, the first 6 months of the programme, to get sellers accustomed to the new rules; and 

2)  Add extensions to our domestic shipping times, as it seems eBay doesn't recognize that it takes longer to ship from NS to BC for example, than from Ontario to Quebec; 

3)  Add extensions on eBay.ca during the Canadian winter, when delays are virtually inevitable due to weather? 

As I mentioned many times already, all sellers whose dashboard previews I have looked at, including yours, show a 0% late shipment rate. This means that you are already exceeding the new program requirements. Also, the domestic delivery estimates already account for the differences in ship time between near and far destinations, based on Canada Post's own data, even in winter conditions.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Raphael, could you comment on this please?  Many are wondering if this is a bona fide survey or a scam directed at eBay sellers: 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/quot-Increase-Your-Sales-quot-Survey/m-p/321194#U321194

Those surveys are legit and run via an agency who makes the phone calls on our behalf.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply