Does anyone miss The Penny ?

Does anyone miss the Canadian Penny ?

I hadn't really thought about the penny recently.

But I just visited my local independent no name brand variety store and got two pennies in my change.

I haven't seen a penny in almost a month.

The 7-11 and Shoppers Drug Mart I usually go to stopped giving them out over a month ago.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

"The 7-11 and Shoppers Drug Mart I usually go to stopped giving them out over a month ago."

I also noticed that many stores who started rounding up or down to the nearest nickel over a month ago are now giving pennies again.

WalMart in Belleville is one of them.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

They're doing it so that they don't have to take them to the bank.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Not me. I like having less coin in my wallet.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Well, I don't know - from a purely practical point of view, as a woman, having those extra 5lbs of pennies weighing down an already 50lb purse, no, I don't miss them. 

But if you're sentimental, think of all those pennies and what you did with them when you were a kid -- found one, lost one, bought some 2-fer candy with one, played hop-scotch on the sidewalk with them, spun them, traded old ones for shiny new ones, rubbed off the maple leaf design with a pencil and paper, watched those copper-coloured maple leaves pile up in your piggy-bank, spun them, saved them and wrapped them -- what excitement to have a whole 50 cents worth! -- watched QEII go from young woman to old lady on the back.  Because they were the lowest denomination and mostly too much trouble for adults to bother with, they entered childrens' worlds as important things.

And what happens to the likes of: "A penny for your thoughts", "A penny saved is a penny earned", "Shiny as a new penny", "Penny-wise and pound-foolish", "Pennies from Heaven", and even Miss Moneypenny.  How many people a generation from now will understand these from personal experience? 

So I say - Requiem in pace, lowly but noble penny...

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

When I was a Kid you could put a half penny coin on the tram tracks.

After the tram went over them you could pass them off as a penny.

😄

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I use to use them for target practice, so I still have a jar full, but when their gone I guess I'll have to move to holy nickels.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

and what about the wishing well  when we were kids all we could afford to through in was a penny, and in Scotland they would have a pour out as bride got in the car they through money in the air mostly penny's and the kids would dash to get the penny's scattered on the ground. memories,  🙂

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

And now we'll all have to pay more for someone's thoughts.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Walmart seems to still have plenty on hand and until last week I had not come across a single business that did not still have those demon coins!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

When I was a Kid you could put a half penny coin on the tram tracks.

After the tram went over them you could pass them off as a penny.

😄

Ha'penny, Tram ???  You must be from Moose Jaw!

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 11 of 11
latest reply