Ebay fees on shipping cost

Does anyone know if Ebay.ca has started to charge fees on shipping yet?  I just sold something that I listed on ebay.com and was charged 11.5% fee for shipping cost.  That is higher than I pay for final value fees.  This is just crazy.  I can't offer free shipping, and include shipping in the selling price, since the products I sell vary so much for shipping fees depending on destination, and I don't like to overcharge on shipping.  I am actually thinking of quitting selling here and going else where to sell.

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Ebay fees on shipping cost

fernsevern
Community Member

"ur getting up doing all the leg work while ebay is making more profit on each item than sellers"

If that is the case for the items you sell then eBay is the wrong venue for you, it is time to look elswehere or to sell something else. Basically eBay is not suitable for selling expensive to ship low value items.

Also you need to sell a product that you can sell at a healthy markup of at least 100% or better 200%.

Message 21 of 42
latest reply

d.d_collectibles
Community Member

In the past 3 years I only sell once a year for extra Christmas money and as a hobby but am outraged at the nerve that Ebay has to tack on one more FVFon shipping  to the sellers just to fill their pockets.I agree that Ebay needs to raise their fees on a yearly basis  but  how can they justify 100% raise, they lowered some categories by 1-2 % and added another fvf on shipping category of 9-12%, if this is not OUTRAGEOUS!!!!! I d'ont know what is.I am actively looking to sell on another site for the little of selling I do but I feel bad for all those sellers that need to put up with this. The only way to get them to retract these fvf  and to stop them from filling their pockets at the sellers expense would be to boycott the site, If it ever happens I'm in.

Message 22 of 42
latest reply

I really don't know, I was an active seller in the mid 2000's but packed it in around 2008 when the recession hit as most of my customers were american.

over the years ebay has really ruined the experience for both buyers & sellers, now controlling almost every aspect of the transaction for both buyers & sellers alike right down to who you can contact and how you can contact them,

to what you can & cant say in a listing, witch images you can use, what payment options you can and cant accept.

now charging fees on shipping this is just ridiculous, no wonder so many good sellers have packed in selling on ebay

they do it under the guise of making it a better safer experience for all but the truth is like everything these days its all about the money

too much money lost to private deals outside of ebay to avoid auction charges put a stop to direct member to member communication,

too many claims of payment not received & final value refund when a seller was accepting payment by money order or email money transfer when buyers claimed to have paid made it mandatory to accept paypal as the only payment option (so ebay / paypal could control all the funds and profit from all sides of the transaction)

too many sellers back end loading the shipping (ebay figures to avoid higher auction final value fees, when infact most international sellers do it to help the buyer avoid duty tax by keeping the selling price low) have now resulted in ebay charging seller fees on shipping.

its not about closing loop holes and stopping abuse, its about doing it in a way that creates the most profit for ebay/paypal

I really do miss the old ebay that was so cool, but it has changes so much for the worse

I tried to purchase a low value item a part for a gas valve for $15.00 from a seller on ebay.com (usa) and it refused to accept the transaction because the seller does not ship to canada, and it would not allow me to contact the seller to arrange to have it shipped to family I have in the USA

its crap like DSR ratings and penelizing inrernational sellers when buyers leave poor feedback due to slow shipping time costing sellers their discount rate that has caused most us sellers to stop selling international.

so the bottom line is simple ebay has made it a more frustrating less profitable experience for all, if they ever want to turn thing around they have to start addressing ebay controll isues witch currently are a detourent to both buyers and sellers and stop crafting policies and solutions witch profit ebay first and formost.

a good place to start would be getting back to their roots, ebay .ca is now about 60% business 20% personal sellers and in my opinion this has runed it for both to get maximum value for their items, IE: a business seller sees private listings selling the same item for 60 to 75% less and thus has to drop his price to compeate, like wise a private collector who has paid retail price for an item or has a rare collactable can no get its worth because he now has to compeat with a resale business seller who buys low or takes items on consignment to sell.

I beleave the best of both worlds is to create "ebay business" a seperate site for business sellers much like they have done with ebay motors., with tools and policies that are geard to help bussiness sellers alowing them more freedome over their listings than ebay regular witch would be geared for personal garage sale type sellers.

Message 23 of 42
latest reply

I really don't know, I was an active seller in the mid 2000's but packed it in around 2008 when the recession hit as most of my customers were american.

over the years ebay has really ruined the experience for both buyers & sellers, now controlling almost every aspect of the transaction for both buyers & sellers alike right down to who you can contact and how you can contact them,

to what you can & cant say in a listing, witch images you can use, what payment options you can and cant accept.

now charging fees on shipping this is just ridiculous, no wonder so many good sellers have packed in selling on ebay

they do it under the guise of making it a better safer experience for all but the truth is like everything these days its all about the money

too much money lost to private deals outside of ebay to avoid auction charges put a stop to direct member to member communication,

too many claims of payment not received & final value refund when a seller was accepting payment by money order or email money transfer when buyers claimed to have paid made it mandatory to accept paypal as the only payment option (so ebay / paypal could control all the funds and profit from all sides of the transaction)

too many sellers back end loading the shipping (ebay figures to avoid higher auction final value fees, when infact most international sellers do it to help the buyer avoid duty tax by keeping the selling price low) have now resulted in ebay charging seller fees on shipping.

its not about closing loop holes and stopping abuse, its about doing it in a way that creates the most profit for ebay/paypal

I really do miss the old ebay that was so cool, but it has changes so much for the worse

I tried to purchase a low value item a part for a gas valve for $15.00 from a seller on ebay.com (usa) and it refused to accept the transaction because the seller does not ship to canada, and it would not allow me to contact the seller to arrange to have it shipped to family I have in the USA

its crap like DSR ratings and penalizing international sellers when buyers leave poor feedback due to slow shipping time costing sellers their discount rate that has caused most us sellers to stop selling international.

so the bottom line is simple ebay has made it a more frustrating less profitable experience for all, if they ever want to turn thing around they have to start addressing ebay control isues witch currently are a deterrent to both buyers and sellers and stop crafting policies and solutions witch profit ebay first and foremost.

a good place to start would be getting back to their roots, ebay .ca is now about 60% business 20% personal sellers and in my opinion this has ruined it for both to get maximum value for their items, IE: a business seller sees private listings selling the same item for 60 to 75% less and thus has to drop his price to compete, like wise a private collector who has paid retail price for an item or has a rare collectable can no get its worth because he now has to compete with a resale business seller who buys low or takes items on consignment to sell.

I believe the best of both worlds is to create "ebay business" a separate site for business sellers much like they have done with ebay motors., with tools and policies that are geared to help business sellers allowing them more freedom over their listings than ebay regular witch would be geared for personal garage sale type sellers.

Message 24 of 42
latest reply

"best of both worlds is to create "ebay business" a separate site for business sellers"

As a buyer, does it matter if the seller is a "business" or a "private'? 

If it does, how do you make the distinction between the two?  Based on the number of listings?  Number of transactions?  Value of transactions?

All other things being equal, would you prefer to buy from a professional (business) who may provide a better buying experience as it implies more experience, more product knowledge, and greater interest in providing superior service for long term relationship?

Message 25 of 42
latest reply

spanish-marine
Community Member

I was about to list 100+ but forget It I did the Math Canada Post with Tracking Number is very expensive. Yes Between the US And Canada U have Expedited. However if I'm selling to other countries it's from $35.00 +. If I get charged $50..00 by Canada post they Ebay is making allot of Money as Paypal which are same Big Wigs. Now if I BUY and use My CC I'm charge from Paypal .03 + 2.5 from my C.C which is a total of 5,5 on each Dollar. I had logged all my transactions In Buying Only for 2 years, I sent Legal letters to my CC, Bank as Paypal. Paypal was charging my CC in Canadian when I bought in US would do the Exchange by their imposed rates which is 3cents less the my Bank rate for that Day. The CC sent Paypal a letter informing them that when I buy in US it's my CC that does the Exchange not Paypal. We are getting ripped of every time we use Ebay and that's' a fact. When I sold a few I had checks or Money orders sent to me to avoid getting nailed by Paypal. I won't sell or use my CC anymore since I changed last year my account. If I buy I'll only use E-Check since they can only get away in charging me 3 cents less then My Bank for the Day Exchange rate. Now if I sold Stamps this would not be an Issue since the shipping is hardly Nothing.

Message 26 of 42
latest reply

These fees on shipping have to be the biggest ripp-off since ebay started. I just started back selling after a few years and was shock by the fees. I don't know how they get away with it. I will certainly find an alternitive if I keep selling.

Message 27 of 42
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

taoboa (larger then ebay while being only in china, rumoured to interested in yahoo to grow abroad) does separate the coprorate sellers from the small business/individual sellers, and charges the corporate sellers MORE.   The opposite of ebay giving the big ones special deals.

Message 28 of 42
latest reply

spanish marine wrote:

However if I'm selling to other countries it's from $35.00 +. If I get charged $50..00 by Canada post they Ebay is making allot of Money as Paypal

If you also sell within Canada, you are not being charged the Shipping FVF on the International S&H.

The fee is based on the lower of the first Domestic fee and the actual fee charged to the customer.

So if you have $5.00 as your Canadian shipping (to your own address BTW) and $50 Air ExpressPost shipping to Venezuela, your FVF would be charged on the $5.  (45 cents instead of the $4.50 you imagine.)

I'm not thrilled with the new fee either, but I do find a lot of the fulminations are based on fundemental misunderstanding of the charges.

Message 29 of 42
latest reply

Now if I sold Stamps this would not be an Issue since the shipping is hardly Nothing.

I doubt Robert will be shipping this out in an envelope with a 59 cent stamp

Message 30 of 42
latest reply

"they Ebay is making allot of Money as Paypal"

Yes they do.  Lots and lots of it.

In the last quester (July 1 to September 30) eBay Inc (that includes PayPal) made a net profit after tax of US$ 490,000,000 (on revenue of three billions).  Any way you look at it, that's a lot of money.

During that period, sellers on eBay sold $14,700,000,000 (not including autos). That is also a lot of money. 🙂

I am an old man, now retired.  The one thing I have learned in my decades in business is to deal with profitable suppliers of goods and services, in the expectations they will be there tomorrow and next year.  It beats the alternative to see your suppliers go out of business because they did not make enough money.  Frankly, I do not think eBay sellers have to worry about eBay (and PayPal) going out of business in the near future. 😉

Message 31 of 42
latest reply

I'm not thrilled with the new fee either, but I do find a lot of the fulminations are based on fundamental misunderstanding of the charges.

Off Topic: My new word for the day. I had to do a Google Search on it. 🙂

Message 32 of 42
latest reply

The way eBay is going with the FVFs on shipping cost and on auction listings had gone crazy for me. It's too much and I've since scaled back myself. I find myself having completely stopped doing as a seller now.  I had cancelled my last 2 auctions last month and shifted in selling on KJJ to sell a few items.

There I find I did much better and I get to keep more money in my pocket. No FVF and I didn't even have to do shipping at all.  Of course, it do take a bit longer but it's better than nothing. I don't mind that since I'll be moving out of where I live.  To me, it's less attachments, less materials to take with me.

So, I'll just be a buyer to look the special item once in a while. What eBay is now, I prefer the old days when it was much simple. Life goes on as they say.

Message 33 of 42
latest reply

imahappydog2004
Community Member

Well OK maybe if you are selling collector stamps this doesn't affect you too much.

I just sold a laptop computer (vintage Toughbook).  First of all I should note that the winning bidder got a great deal, $52 for a fully functional unit worth at least twice that amount.  I charged $29 for shipping.  So I already had to pay about $8 from my $52 for fees.  Then I was charged $2.67 from Paypal for the privilege of receiving the payment from my buyer.  Once my funds clear (in 21 days probably) I will certainly be charged another $0.50 to withdraw them to my bank account.  So now I am down to about $40 from my sale of $52 after having paid 23% in fees!

This is not a good place to sell items like this.  I will have to either stop using Ebay/Paypal, or start selling stamps I guess.

Message 34 of 42
latest reply

Well OK maybe if you are selling collector stamps this doesn't affect you too much.

I just sold a laptop computer (vintage Toughbook).  First of all I should note that the winning bidder got a great deal, $52 for a fully functional unit worth at least twice that amount.  I charged $29 for shipping.  So I already had to pay about $8 from my $52 for fees.  Then I was charged $2.67 from Paypal for the privilege of receiving the payment from my buyer.  Once my funds clear (in 21 days probably) I will certainly be charged another $0.50 to withdraw them to my bank account.  So now I am down to about $40 from my sale of $52 after having paid 23% in fees!

This is not a good place to sell items like this.  I will have to either stop using Ebay/Paypal, or start selling stamps I guess.

What the buyer paid and your opinion of what you think it is worth does  not enter the equation. 

You obviosly have had no experience running a B&M store or you would think Ebay fees were very low.

Message 35 of 42
latest reply

I am having the same problem, with the fvf on shipping, my items are now costing me upward of 20% to sell on Ebay, I am bieng charged US sales tax even though I am Canadian, and all of this is before paypal steals there fee for doing absolutley no work whatsoever. Ebay clearly wants to shutdown and not have any sellers judging by thier actions. I am tired of being ripped off, charged ubsurd fees to try and force me to give away things (free shipping would put my items as a loss), and having Ebay support fraudulent members and aid them is de-frauding sellers. I have been selling under this name for 5 years now and adding my old account would be going on 9 years and never have i felt more unwanted by Ebay as a seller. When i call customer support all they tell me is my account is this and that which is completely incorrect to what my account shows me on my dashboard. not sure what else i can do but give up selling on Ebay.

Message 36 of 42
latest reply

20% is about what sellers pay in various eBay and Paypal fees.

That is the cost of doing business.

And speaking as one who lists on other sites- I got my second sale of the year on The Moon last month and my fourth on The Ranch two months ago.

EBay has eyeballs. And those eyeballs are attached to pockets.

Which is a pretty disgusting metaphor actually.

If I were only selling on those sites, not only would I have much less business, but I would have the cost of carrying about 1500 items as deadstock, instead of turning them over daily.

Keep in mind that your buyer is paying the shipping and handling fee. Are you including a handling fee?

I am bieng charged US sales tax even though I am Canadian, and all of this is before paypal steals there fee for doing absolutley no work whatsoever

Do you mean a US state is charging you sales tax when you buy? (There is no federal US sales tax). Do you mean a US state is charging your buyers?

Or are you being hyperbolic?

EBay is a US company. We pay the company fees (not taxes).

We might if we are registered with HST or PST or GST, be remitti

20% is about what sellers pay in various eBay and Paypal fees.

That is the cost of doing business.

And speaking as one who lists on other sites- I got my second sale of the year on The Moon last month and my fourth on The Ranch two months ago.

EBay has eyeballs. And those eyeballs are attached to pockets.

Which is a pretty disgusting metaphor actually.

If I were only selling on those sites, not only would I have much less business, but I would have the cost of carrying about 1500 items as deadstock, instead of turning them over daily.

Keep in mind that your buyer is paying the shipping and handling fee. Are you including a handling fee?

I am bieng charged US sales tax even though I am Canadian, and all of this is before paypal steals there fee for doing absolutley no work whatsoever

Do you mean a US state is charging you sales tax when you buy? (There is no federal US sales tax). Do you mean a US state is charging your buyers?

Or are you being hyperbolic?

EBay is a US company. We pay the company fees (not taxes).

We might if we are registered with HST or PST or GST, be remitting taxes to the Canadian/provincial government. These are,of course, less the small fee the provinces pay us for doing the paperwork and minus any tax rebates we get on items purchased in Canada and sold internationally.

for doing absolutley no work whatsoever

A lot of the work eBay and Paypal did was performed a decade or more ago. Setting up the site, publicizing it, finding ways to make it work fairly smoothly, and nowadays, operating the Resolution Centre when transactions go bad.  It may be history, but it is not nothing,.

I just wish eBay would pay out dividends to its shareholders. When dividends are paid, shareholders are in for the long haul, not for the wild swings of the quarterly report. This gives the company time to consider the long term growth of the company.

ng taxes to the Canadian/provincial government. These are,of course, less the small fee the provinces pay us for doing the paperwork and minus any tax rebates we get on items purchased in Canada and sold internationally.

for doing absolutley no work whatsoever

A lot of the work eBay and Paypal did was performed a decade or more ago. Setting up the site, publicizing it, finding ways to make it work fairly smoothly, and nowadays, operating the Resolution Centre when transactions go bad.  It may be history, but it is not nothing,.

I just wish eBay would pay out dividends to its shareholders. When dividends are paid, shareholders are in for the long haul, not for the wild swings of the quarterly report. This gives the company time to consider the long term growth of the company.

Message 37 of 42
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping cost is a cash grab these days, all the sellers that were charging high S/H fees have changed or gone. There's no more need for those fees.

Message 38 of 42
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping cost is a cash grab these days, all the sellers that were charging high S/H fees have changed or gone. There's no more need for those fees.

Don't be so naive!

As soon as those fees were removed the scammers who charged obscene shipping would be right back at it again.

Message 39 of 42
latest reply

Negative would take care of them. Now its strickly a cash grab.

Message 40 of 42
latest reply