Frustrated discouraged Canadian Seller here!

I'm unfortunately dealing with a seasoned scammer potentially and am starting to shake my head what protection I have as a Canadian seller shipping to the USA using tracking even? This Buyer claims 7 days after receiving item arrived that its broken but hasn't sent me photos yet. Buyer got combined discount shipping two items together and completely got a deal on items won. Buyer purchased no Insurance or Tracking and my auctions clearly state no returns. Buyer admits her delivery carriers are always rough with her parcels and she has many damage claims but she admits she has not reported them. Buyer now expects full item refund. shipping refund and to keep "broken" item or i pay for return shipping to me.

I have offered refund for item and I provided tracking free.Item is family heirloom and not replaceable. Can Ebay seriously award her a refund for item shipping and me pay return? If so I seriously don't see how a Seller is protected from scammers or buyers misusing canada to usa "insurance" policies knowing Canada seller has disadvantage. She resells this same china and currently even is reselling same bowl she claims is broken on a different site right now. I am both a Buyer and a Seller and very fair but this seems ridiculously one-sidedly unfair no?! In over 10 years being a Seller here this is first time I have dealt with a Buyer like this, have I been lucky?! lol

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

First off Canada US seller  doesn't matter..

ebay will force a complete refund but if they file item not as described paypal will make them pay return shipping and it must have tracking.. do not refund unless they ship back...

If you want to avoid neg feedback do what they want but if you want to do what right then make them pay to return..

did you have tracking and insurance if so contact canada post to get funds back for the damaged goods..

Yes you have been lucky i deal with this on a monthly basis ...

LAST BUT NOT LEAST... go buy your item back wink wink nudge nudge

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Also putting no returns is useless it will make buyers think twice about buying from you  and anyone who knows how things work knows that you don't have a choice but to accept returns .. it is non optional even if you state no returns ..

The system is built to sometimes protect seller but to always protect buyers..

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Yes your information is helpful, she definetley does this often (files multiple arrived damaged claims) I think she expected me to give her whatever she asked for without even seeing a picture of my broken bowl?!

She resells China on a different site, you made me giggle alittle with the Rebuy it suggestion the only kick in the teeth is I realised she triples her profit on that site selling this same Antique China. I'm not a China expert so wasn't aware yet of a better choice than Ebay for my grammas china. Thats the shame part is she is fully aware and knows she got a smokin deal here.

This one sided protection (buyer) if she files a not as described claim also explains why she didnt even ask for insurance or about returns. I am glad I don't deal with her type often, I don't know how you do and aren't discouraged. She bought my item for $19.95 and has the same one listed for $75 on other site. LoL Oh well...nothing I can do really but block her from bidding on any more of my auctions if I list more china?

Cheers

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Oh and the 90 day Canadapost claim process? "Awesome" dripping with sarcasm here! 😛

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had similar problems with one same US buyer that kept saying she never recieved the items over and over and I finally called the post office in her town and was told that she is "famous" for that!!  And they advised me that I should insure them and include tracking number.

She bought my items every week and I mailed them every week until the last 2 weeks which I insure and include tracking number and guess what she claimed that she didn't received the last 2 parcels.  I told her that the tracking information said that she has received her 2 parcels and even signed for them.

Then she gave me a story about the mail man leaving them in her garage which she don't go there often!  As if!!  How can they be in the garage if she had signed them??!!

I finally told her that I no longer want to deal with her anymore as it is not worth the hassle.  She was a great buyer but a pure hassle each time which is not worth it.

That seller who claimed it was broken, she must knew that your china is worth lots of $$$ which is why she bought from you.  Suggest you call her post office and see what they say.  If she claimed that she often received damaged parcels, I am sure that the post office would knew and why didn't she file for claims with the post office for damaged parcels.  She is just a scammer and a theft and a liar.  I would put her on the block list forever.

Yes I would buy her china that was mine to get back to her and tell her it came damaged and see how she say.  I bet she will not believe you.  I would do that to catch her in the act.  Only way to stop her and tell her it is a mail fraud and should we file the criminal charges against her??

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Contacting her Post office is a good idea! I have multiple emails from her blaming her carriers but she blames them all! Funny though...I think she under estimated my commitment to fairness and the truth.She has now said her carriers aren't that bad she was making a joke? Um no...she has done this multiple times for sure and knows on my end as the seller I'm against a wall. I have to atleast refund her the item price and I'm still out a beautiful china item not broken. She did send me a photos of FOUR bowls though two look exactly like mine. So I'm requesting a close-up of stamps to compare. I'm atleast going to make her work for her what seems like a common misuse of buyer protection policy to get a full refund and keep items. 😮

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

snow-owl77
Community Member

I know what you mean. Ebay is protecting thiefs. All buyers have to do is buy and item,... then wait a bit and claim they did not recieve the item,... and they get free stuff thanks to Ebay, at the sellers exspense.

As we all know in Canada,... to ship with tracking and insurance is 3 times the cost to the customer. But even if you ship with all the bells and whistles,... they still get a refund. It is a no win for the seller.

Ebay refunds items that have tracking and are still in route when the buyer claims it has not arrived,... even though the tracking shows it is in the delivery process.

And,... if you ship without tracking and insurance (just USA air post or Canada post standard) they get a full refund as well,.. even though you can prove that you shipped to the postal code (zip code). You can state clearly on the shipping information, that air USA does not have tracking and the buyer thats a risk with shipping for less. But it does no good,...Ebay does not care if your terms state that you do not cover loss.

I no longer ship to the UK,... as every time I shipped with insurance and tracking,.. Ebay refunded the buyers, when the tracking showed the item was in customs or in transit. So I eat the shipping the fees and lost the item, plus,..... that is not covered by Canada post as the tracking showed the item was evently delivered.

I think at this point I stop selling as Ebay. As I pay Ebay,.. not the seller. And for my money they offer nothing to protect me.

It is clear that Ebay does not care about there sellers. Prehaps,.....If all of the seller pulled off Ebay for 30 days,... maybe they would consider our complaints.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

What a bummer snow-owl...I luckily haven't had many not received complaints yet.... KNOCK on WOOD!! lol This Buyer has been enough drama for 5 though... It definetly has made me realise how easy it is for Buyer to pull this off. My funds were even instantly taken from my paypal account as soon as buyer filed a Claim and held by ebay? They froze the whole transaction amount when she received two items one not being damaged. That seems very unreasonable before a decision is even made if you have to refund? Ebay having that direct access to my paypal account also makes me feel uneasy and abit violated security/privacy wise. I wasn't aware they could do that.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

snow-owl77
Community Member

Yes up to 45 days from the purchase order.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Insurance on a parcel is for the sellers protection not the buyers.  The seller has the reciept and proof of insurance purchase.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Check the buyers feedback and contact other sellers of hr recent buys asking if they had issues with this buyer. If many say they have the same problem, contact Kalvin at eBay.com in eBay Canada with your "proof" the buyer is a scammer.

Kalvin may pass on the information to eBay trust and safety. Mention your ongoing case with PayPal.

This might help.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

I am happy to update with a fair decision, Once Buyer escalated Claim for Ebay to decide, I explained in detail the facts and my opinions on her repeated shipping received damaged claims.. and I WON! Ebay did not find me at fault and she isn't getting a penny from me. Buyers and Sellers need to be protected here equally, so hopefully she won't think its so easy next time to file and soak the seller who did everything on their end correctly. 🐵

Cheers!

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

fzbw9br
Community Member

exactly

contact the Police in her jurisdiction and file a complaint of Mail Fraud

if she is doing it to you, she is doing it to others and making a living off it.

giver HER some Grief!

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

fzbw9br
Community Member

queenpalmer wrote: Insurance on a parcel is for the sellers protection not the buyers.  The seller has the reciept and proof of insurance purchase.

exactly, I got screwed over royally as a buyer, when an item was damaged enroute in the mail, and the shipper was to damn lazy to file a claim.

so he took my money, poorly packaged the item, and I got nothing!

this wasn't an ebay purchase, but goes to show, insurance doesn't help the receiver, as the receiver CANNOT file a shippign claim

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

fzbw9br
Community Member

BTW: how does one go about posting a new thread?

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Click on Seller Central.

At the top, near the left side, are the words "New Topic"

Click

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

How to post

When you click on Discussion Forums on the left, you get a default overview off all post from all forums. You can click on a topic and reply from here but not create a new topic because you need to select a specific forum category first.

So look at the list of forums at the top and you will see categories. Select an appropriate category (buying, selling, etc) and click on that.  Now you will see the New Topic, New Topic with Poll and Mark all as read.

Choose New Topic. Some ebayers are confused because the New Topic is in a blue box and looks like a title and not a choice. So they do their first topic using New Topic with poll and are further confused

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

this wasn't an ebay purchase, but goes to show, insurance doesn't help the receiver, as the receiver CANNOT file a shippign claim

If you paid by Paypal, even on another site, you can make a Not As Described claim with them. The Resolution Centre is on the home page, top right.

The PP Buyer Protection service is nearly as strong as the one they run with eBay (PP's parent company).

Of course, the 45 day deadline remains.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

bb_specialties
Community Member

I am one too - had a 100% rating, until some scammers got involved.  One - paid - then 2 days later filed a non-recieved and put negative on my account (paid regular shipping from Canada to the states - that takes up to 3 weeks) - even though I had everything stated in the ad, clearly stating the amount of time and would ship the saturday after payments - ebay did nothing.  Was even on the phone with 3 different representatives, and said they couldn't remove the negative, without the other party agreeing to it!  Then funny enough, same thing happened within a month later - same thing - another ding on my account - so I quit selling for almost a year.  I had to quit offering regular shipping to my honest customers, because of two bad apples.

Fact is - there is no seller protection.  I long for the eBay days of old, where we had the same rights as the buyers, but that will never happen.  As sellers, we cannot even warn eachother about bad buyers/fraudsters in fear of having our accounts deleted and expelled from the eBay world.  Yet sadly this is the only place to reach enough customers.  If there was another site that had the same range - I would close my eBay account forever and not look back.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply