How do I answer this question???

Someone (who hasn't bought anything yet) just asked me the following: "Where did you get this from?" That was the exact and entire content of the message. I don't get it...What am I supposed to respond to that? Should I just ignore it? I don't want to start giving away my supplier sources but I also don't want to be rude...
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

@anahita_jewelry wrote:
Ohhh maybe they think the item is used or antique? And they want to know if I bought it at an estate sale or if it was a Christmas gift? Maybe I should say "This is a brand new item. The base materials are pressed in a metal factory, but I assemble all the parts myself". How about that?

That's an answer like I would give, maybe adding 'Is there a specific item you need clarification for?' or maybe 'How many would you like?' ha ha. Generally, I answer every query, no matter how questionable it seems. If it is particularly rude, I am sarcastically polite. If my answer is witty and/or hilarious (even if I do say so myself), I will sometimes add it to the listing just to amuse myself. (And to put-off the jackrabbit who asked it.) 

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

On an unrelated note, may I ask the reason you use underscore instead of a character space in your titles? 

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

If my answer is witty and/or hilarious (even if I do say so myself), I will sometimes add it to the listing just to amuse myself. (And to put-off the jackrabbit who asked it.) 

Revenge is sweet. Saccharine sweet.-- Anne Shirley
Message 23 of 25
latest reply

Anne Shirley is a kindred spirit. 

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

@anahita_jewelry wrote:
I won't ignore the question because I can't tell if the question is legit, rhetorical, a joke, by a serious buyer, by a random seller, or what...I'll stick to a mixture of "not sure exactly because all parts from various factory sources, but all hand-assembled by myself". I'll stick to a nicely worded version of that and see what happens...

That would be my view of it, too.  Your reply above is polite and appropriate, or use something along the lines of what 'ricarmic' suggested in Post #4 above to try to get the buyer to be more specific.  

The buyer's question may have been borderline rude, but it certainly wasn't rhetorical as one poster suggested.  The buyer was looking for more information, for whatever reason.  In any event, I would never not answer a buyer's question.  You just don't know -- they may be intending to buy a lot of your items, and simply want to be sure you are a legitimate maker. 

Message 25 of 25
latest reply