How do I get buyers shipping money if I paid for shipping myself

the buyer paid 11 for shipping, but I used my own money to pay. is there any way to collect the money on paypal

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I get buyers shipping money if I paid for ship...

When I sell something, my customer is billed for both price and shipping together.

And she pays for both together.

How much did your buyer send you through Paypal? It should have been the full amount price+shipping.

This is gonna get complicated.

Now. As a new seller, PP is Holding your buyer's cleared payment for 21 days. This is a Buyer Protection policy, nothing personal.

BUT

Cleared payment.

PP will notify you when the customer's payment clears the banking system. This can take up to 10 days if she paid from her bank account rather than from a credit card. An ''e-cheque' if you will.

Until the customer's payment clears you cannot print a PP shipping label. In fact, some sellers use this as notification that the payment has cleared and it is time to ship.

Did you get that notification?

You say you paid for shipping yourself. What do you mean?

You can print out PP shipping labels (after the payment clears) before the 21 days are up. In fact, you might get a discount of 5% to 18% off PO counter prices , so it is worthwhile using those. Also this helps you keep track of what is paid and shipped.

Or you can go to the PO and pay full price immediately. Whether or not the payment has cleared*.

Or you can buy discount postage on eBay and use that.

But basically, if you stated your shipping and handling fee in your listing, your customer has to pay it all and there is no problem.

If you didn't and your customer somehow paid only the asking price--- well, there is this thing called a 'learning curve.'

Hope this is useful and soothing.

*Don't panic if you sent before clearance. Most people are honest.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

When I sell something, my customer is billed for both price and shipping together.

And she pays for both together.

How much did your buyer send you through Paypal? It should have been the full amount price+shipping.

This is gonna get complicated.

Now. As a new seller, PP is Holding your buyer's cleared payment for 21 days. This is a Buyer Protection policy, nothing personal.

BUT

Cleared payment.

PP will notify you when the customer's payment clears the banking system. This can take up to 10 days if she paid from her bank account rather than from a credit card. An ''e-cheque' if you will.

Until the customer's payment clears you cannot print a PP shipping label. In fact, some sellers use this as notification that the payment has cleared and it is time to ship.

Did you get that notification?

You say you paid for shipping yourself. What do you mean?

You can print out PP shipping labels (after the payment clears) before the 21 days are up. In fact, you might get a discount of 5% to 18% off PO counter prices , so it is worthwhile using those. Also this helps you keep track of what is paid and shipped.

Or you can go to the PO and pay full price immediately. Whether or not the payment has cleared*.

Or you can buy discount postage on eBay and use that.

But basically, if you stated your shipping and handling fee in your listing, your customer has to pay it all and there is no problem.

If you didn't and your customer somehow paid only the asking price--- well, there is this thing called a 'learning curve.'

Hope this is useful and soothing.

*Don't panic if you sent before clearance. Most people are honest.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

buyer paid 12 dollars for shipping, but I didn't use the 12 dollars, I just used debit. How do I collect the money the buyer sent. Thanks for your answer
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

But you did "use" their $12. It doesn't matter if you didn't use that direct $12 from what was paid into PayPal. The buyer has already paid their money, you cannot ask for more money just because you used your debit. How do you not understand that you've got their money already?
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

buyer paid 12 dollars for shipping, but I didn't use the 12 dollars, I just used debit. How do I collect the money the buyer sent. Thanks for your answer  (comment)

It's in your Paypal account, but will not be available to you for 21 days after clearing because you are a new seller.
Paypal puts a 21 day HOLD on your customer's payment . This is a Buyer Protection policy and nothing personal.

From the seller's point of view, this is why eBay is not fast money. But when you have more completed transactions this restriction will be lifted.

The PP Hold still allows you to pay for PP shipping labels from the Held funds. You need a printer for this. If you don't have one, try the public library, where printouts are quite cheap.
Small bonus, on many parcel services PP gives you a discount of between 5% and 18% off PO counter prices on these labels.
You can print them on plain paper and tape them to your parcel. You need a tape measure and a scale to get the right dimensions.

Keep asking questions.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply