How do you deal with a buyer............

Assuming for a moment that I sent an item * Uninsured * and the buyer  *overseas* claims not to have received the item , after having waited a period of let's say 3 weeks.

Please let me know how you handle this:

1) Do you try and ask buyer to split the difference ?

2) Do you automatically refund the whole amount and take the loss ?

3) Do you tell them to put in a claim with Ebay/Paypal ?

4) Any other suggestions ?

Also: Has anyone ever asked Ebay if a certain buyer often claims for non-delivery ?

Always trying to learn !! ?:|

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: How do you deal with a buyer............

If your buyer is not willing to wait any longer, then your best bet is to refund his/her money and ask them to repay you when the item arrives. It's surprising how many times a buyer will appreciate you for this and actually pay when the item does show up. Far better this way, than to wait for them to start a case, which will affect your stats. You can block the buyer ( or the country ) also.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

EACH TIME when I send the parcel or letter, I send a short email advising about expected time of delivery and I also mention potential delays in view of weather, security and other things which are not within our control. Such letter may prevent too fast declaration of item's non-arrival.

When I get a letter of non-arrival (but not too often), I immediately write to buyer saying that I understand his concern and I share it. But at the same time I ask him to be patient for another 1-2 weeks (depends on his country) and assure him that he will be comforted with the date of the postal stamp which will confirm my prompt delivery.

And I ask him to inform me promptly about arrival because I am very concerned as well.

I think such a letter with confidence will bring some comfort and will give some time for parcel's (letter's) arrival.

However, if the same claim is made again after, we have to return money to the buyer.

When I do it, I tell them that I expect his repeat payment when the item is finally received.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

How did you send it

Surface or Air.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I sent it by Airmail to Israel

Thank you to those who answered so far. Great suggestions.

Oh , and I did block the buyer just in case and the Country as well.

Also: Has anyone ever asked Ebay if a certain buyer often claims for non-delivery ?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I send an email when mailing telling customers that their stamps are in the mail. I mention in this email that Canada Post does not work on weekends, and I also mention customs examination and Homeland Insecurity (US)  possible delays. If a customer emails about non delivery I tell them I will send them a full refund, but that I want to wait until 30 days after shipping before refunding. Most items show up before the 30 days. If the item has not shown up after 30 days I give the customer a full refund, and ask that if the stamps do arrive payment would be appreciated. I also place the customer on my BBL. The customer may be honest, but if there are  dishonest postal or customs employees between me and the customer its not worth the hassle.

Over the years my losses from Ebay and other onpline venues have been minimal. I had greater losses sending out stamps on approval, and in stamps walking off from Stamp Shows.

In any business there are going to be some losses. I am not saying that a seller has to be happy about them, but a seller has to accept the fact that there will be losses.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Don't encourage the customer to get eBay or Paypal involved. If you "win" the case, either by proving delivery or by promptly refunding, there is no need for their involvement. If you lose, the loss will impact your seller account.

The previous posters' advice above is spot on. Communicate your concern to the customer, ask for some more leeway for delivery, tell him the date of shipping and expected arrival time, give him any shipping label numbers (even if they are not connected to insurance or DC), and refund if it looks as if his concerns are valid. Maybe even if they don't appear valid,

I understand that shipinsurance has a list of countries they will not insure parcels to. This may be a useful reference for eBay sellers, even if we are not using the company's service. (Italy and Israel are two countries I don't like shipping too. For different reasons.)

Message 7 of 7
latest reply