How do you sell a valuable item if you have no selling history?

rombley02
Community Member
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'd start locally with dealers in the type of item you want to sell. The first person to approach would be the person who sold it to you (or to the person who gave/left it to you).

Since you are not familiar with the market for your item, it would be useful to have a written appraisal of the item's worth done. Phone around to dealers in that type of thing and ask if they do estate appraisals.

That is, a value for an item that has been inherited and the value of which will be split among several heirs. This value is usually the value at public auction.

Insurance appraisals are much higher and are the replacement value of the item. Full retail in other words. EBay is well below the retail market.

Dealers often give verbal cash offers. While these are a type of appraisal, they allow wiggle room for the dealer to cover his overhead and still make a profit. This will be below the eBay value, probably.

Make an appointment. Keep the appointment. Be ready to wait in the shop while the dealer makes the appraisal. (This is for his protection not yours). You will pay for a written appraisal, but if the value is very low (you could be wrong about the value) he may not charge anything and refuse to write an appraisal as a waste of your money.

Free appraisals are worth every penny you pay for them.

Do not attempt to sell anything valuable until you have both bought and sold several items on eBay. There are too many pitfalls.

Also, you do know that when your customer sends his payment, eBay will hold that payment for 21 days against your good performance?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

BUY A FEW THINGS FIRST ,TO BUILD UP YOUR FB AND REPUTATION

,I BOUGHT FOR 4 MONTHS OR SO B4 I SOLD ANYTHING.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I'd start locally with dealers in the type of item you want to sell. The first person to approach would be the person who sold it to you (or to the person who gave/left it to you).

Since you are not familiar with the market for your item, it would be useful to have a written appraisal of the item's worth done. Phone around to dealers in that type of thing and ask if they do estate appraisals.

That is, a value for an item that has been inherited and the value of which will be split among several heirs. This value is usually the value at public auction.

Insurance appraisals are much higher and are the replacement value of the item. Full retail in other words. EBay is well below the retail market.

Dealers often give verbal cash offers. While these are a type of appraisal, they allow wiggle room for the dealer to cover his overhead and still make a profit. This will be below the eBay value, probably.

Make an appointment. Keep the appointment. Be ready to wait in the shop while the dealer makes the appraisal. (This is for his protection not yours). You will pay for a written appraisal, but if the value is very low (you could be wrong about the value) he may not charge anything and refuse to write an appraisal as a waste of your money.

Free appraisals are worth every penny you pay for them.

Do not attempt to sell anything valuable until you have both bought and sold several items on eBay. There are too many pitfalls.

Also, you do know that when your customer sends his payment, eBay will hold that payment for 21 days against your good performance?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

The smart thing to do is not sell a value item when you have no selling experience on ebay. Such sellers are targets for scammers. They rely on your lack of ebay knowledge to scam you out of the item. What until you know how ebay works before selling an expensive item.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks very much for your comments. The item is a rare vintage watch and I have been able to review eBay auctions and get an idea on pricing. I got a couple of library books providing good advice on self protection. However, as a newbie,I had no idea that ebay would withhold payment for 21 days. Personally I don't mind as I feel that this rule gives confidence to a buyer when dealing with a newbie. I just don't want to be scammed. If you know about any eBay books for dummies I'd appreciate knowing, and THANKS again for your advice!
Saaay, isn't that a picture of Ena Sharples 🙂
Allen
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

No problem. Put it on buy it now for the price you want and ebay will take care of you>

Message 6 of 6
latest reply