How is everyone finding sales

Wondering how others are finding their sales. Since I closed my store due to the postal strike threat (closed from about Jun 20-Aug 1) sales have really been slow. I am curious if it is just me or if others are finding that sales are rather slow. The last two months I really have not sold enough (most of my items are small ticket items) to cover my store fees so I am really hoping it picks up. I had thought that while August was slow that once school was back and fall was here that I would see an increase in sales but not really.

In reading some of the other posts I know some of you are finding sales good (eg Mr. Elmwood) so not sure if it is just maybe what I sell. I list on both .ca & .com to take advantage of all the free listing the store offers. Interested in hearing from others.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

@rose-dee wrote:

sylviebee wrote: 
Collectors do not organize the search by Best Match and buyers who are picking through used items won't be using that either unless they are new to eBay. 
Also, anyone looking for a deal won't be using Best Match either once they catch onto the system.

I always use newly listed to organize the search and most collectors do the same.

That's why listing via GTCed is the kiss of death for those of us who sell used items.

I agree with you about Best Match.  With all due respect to 'mj's' theories quoted in Post #2, it is far too simplistic to assume that Best Match alone drives most sales in this way, or that selling more will mean more sales.  Any conclusions about eBay's search system are conjecture at worst or an educated guess at best, and are always only part of the picture.  What little we've been told by eBay is clearly that the algorithms they use are far more sophisticated and complex than can be explained by one parameter.  

Not only are numerous factors involved in what gets presented to buyers and in what order, but there are also many, many ways in which buyers can initiate and organize their searches.  Sophisticated buyers (particularly, as you say, collectors) may use more than one method to search for the same type of item, or have a favourite system of searching that bypasses Best Match entirely. 

Sellers have been trying for years to parse out eBay's methods of search placement and preference, all to spectacularly no avail.  It can even be self-destructive to think that we have one aspect of the system figured out and act on that particular assumption, partly because eBay's programmers are no doubt forever busy in the background retooling the search/placement algorithms. 

There are also many, many other factors completely outside of eBay's system that can influence dips and valleys of sales on eBay and elsewhere.  I think many of us are aware of this.  There is also just simple coincidence -- yes, that happens now and then.  There may also be specific things that eBay does to "highlight" or promote certain types of items or target certain buyer markets at particular times (including its own advertising). There may also be enormous sellers coming online onto eBay all at once during a particular period that attract buyers away.  There may be other online venues grabbing more attention at a given time.  

Any of these factors, or all of them together, could account for bizarre clumps of sales to unusual places or sudden slumps in sales, for instance.  The point is that no one really knows but eBay. 

I think this statement (quoted in Post #2), is one example of trying too hard to ascribe a single factor on eBay to an observed phenomenon: "The fall-out form this is that when a seller hits a slump, they hit it hard. Best Match will continue to pass them over until their sales improve. But how can they improve if they are tracking low in Best Match? It becomes a vicious cycle or tailspin until the seller takes matters into their own hands and reaches out, for example, to past customers or drives new customers to their store. eBay Best Match won't help them until they do."  

It's just not that simple, and to be honest I think it's a disservice to newer sellers to make conclusive statements about eBay's search/placement system.  If it were this clear, a lot of sellers would have figured out long ago how to manipulate the system and make millions by now.  

The bottom line is that not only Best Match, but all other aspects of eBay's search/placement system are deliberately kept obscure, complicated and multi-faceted for the very reason that eBay doesn't want them to be easy for sellers to puzzle out or deconstruct.  

However -- and here 'Mr. Elmwood'  hit the nail on the head -- we have been given some guidance by eBay.   They've told us over and over again to optimize best practices.  That means everything on the list, not just cherry-picking what seems to work one week or one month.  And I'll bet, as 'Mr. E'  says, that few sellers do that consistently.  

Now, I do have to add that 'Mr. E'  sells stuff that people need.  Most of us sell what people merely want, or sell wholly discretionary, luxury items.  With those items it's harder to maintain a constant, reliable sales volume.   In times of economic or political stress people withhold spending on non-essentials.  

I think too that if you sell on more than one online site, you see these trends or slumps as well.  They aren't unique to eBay, nor even to online selling.  Ask anybody who has worked in a B&M store -- you'll be playing solitaire on the counter, waiting for buyers, then there's a rush at no especially significant time of the day or week, and suddenly you have a line-up of 10 people at the cash, and maybe they're all wearing blue coats.  

The herd coming to the counter is just that, herding instinct. It took me all of bout 30 seconds to figure that out when I was a 16-year-old cashier at a grocery store. People are social, pack animals, they follow the pack without thought. Like a crowd of people around a Sale display will continue to draw attention, because everyone wants to know what everyone else is looking at. It must be good! 

Getting back to Best Match then, we are all now in agreement that the Old Store versus New Store format is not a factor in Best Match and therefore not responsible for your lower-than-expected placement in the Buy Canadian promo? I would hate to see new sellers think they have somehow gained the advantage over an older, established seller simply buy buying a New Store subscription. 

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Who shops by Best Match? Excellent question. I think new buyers do, buyers in a hurry do, and anyone who hasn't discovered they can select their own filter preference.

Yes, that's exactly right.

Collectors do not organize the search by Best Match and buyers who are picking through used items won't be using that either unless they are new to eBay.

Also, anyone looking for a deal won't be using Best Match either once they catch onto the system.

I always use newly listed to organize the search and most collectors do the same.

That's why listing via GTCed is the kiss of death for those of us who sell used items.

We've often been told that GTC will get us to the top of search because of the accumulated views.  I've been using it the last few months just for convenience.  But I don't think I'll continue.  I find that when I list a bunch of new items, even if they're just re-listed as "sell similar", my sales increase.

Personally, I always search for Price + Shipping: lowest first, or highest first, like mj, if there are too many low-priced items.  If everyone did that, I'm sure I'd be at the top of the search list (if lowest first selected) since I check competitor's prices closely and am always one of the most reasonably priced.

My media account is not doing too badly (new items don't take that long to list); however this one has come to a standstill.  I have a lot of new items to list but each one takes so long, that sometimes I just lack the energy.  Often it can take 5 hours to list, if I'm lucky, 10 items.

Well, good luck to everyone.  Hopefully the pre-Christmas season will be good to you.

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

The flip side of the GTC is that I had hoped those listings would rank higher in Best Match since they wouldn't punt their sales history and Watchers every 30-days.  

Sellers were given a surprising little gem on this subject at the eBay conference this summer, one of the rare times eBay has actually revealed a specific piece of seller information.  At one of the seminars for store owners, the eBay rep definitively recommended that GTC should be used.  Now, since no one asked him whether that advice held true for non-store owners, it would have to be taken in the context that this was intended for store owners.  

There was an audible gasp (say, WHAT???) in the room when he said this, and a couple of sellers challenged him on it.  His response was simple and unequivocal -- "You should be using GTC".  

OK, if it comes from the source, and isn't merely a suggestion, this is something to take note of and act upon.  Which I did. 

I posted before I read this comment of yours, rose.  My decision to move to GTC was based, in part, on this eBay rep's recommendation.  I don't have a store, so I'm not sure if that recommendation holds true for sellers like myself.  But, I thought, I'll give it a try.  Given all that I know, and all that I don't know, I can't help but think that where you place in search is simply a "c--pshoot.  

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

I was in a unique situation on June 15...

All of my listings had been ended and relisted when currency was changed from US to Canadian dollars

Although I was on-line for about a week in June....  I was able to observe what Best Match did to  my listings in Non-fiction books, History> Canada.

With about 3,000 listings in this one category  I can see how viewers accumulated,  and as my sales happened... My listings moved up in Best Match....

and in specific instances  I could see which listings were being viewed  and which just might be sold.

I was able to view  what Best Match was doing to my listings... first individually  and then as a mass of 3,000 listings.

Things were happening to quite a degree in relation to my placement in Best Match... and then because of sales  and an increase in  views  as well as watchers my sales improved as September progressed..

It was also important for me  to continue to add new listings to this one category..

The importance  in Best Match  was views...  sales.... and working my mass of books in this one category... continually adding new listings.....

Best Match appeared to influence my position in a search  and then , in relation to views, my sales continued as September.moved day-by-day

---------------------------------------------------------------

The number of listings one has in a category  appears to have an influence on search placement... and ultimately sales...

Sales improved once there were 30 and more listings in a category......  and I keep adding to the low number categories...

--------------------------------------------------------------

There are sellers who come here with new inventory  and do well for a period of time... Then sales fall off.....because  they have "filled" a niche with sales.

One must continue to work the inventory... add new listings... and in some instances   add new complementary categories...

----------------------------------------------------------------

The greater the number of listings in a category....  the greater the probability that someone will look  at a listing, and find something in inventory  they might want to buy.... and not necessarily the one that was found initially.

---------------------------------------------------------------

People with a store have an advantage.... because someone can maintain a link with a store... and continue to come back to see  what is new.

With GTC  one can get an accumulation of views.... and even without a store  a seller can be linked  by  potential buyers... with listings.... specifically new listings ..... get  viewed on a regular basis...

People are always looking for ways to link to preferred sellers

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

There are ways to change how Best Match sees your listings.

(1) Pretend to do a revision...  revise  the postal code in all listings... just a "pretend" to do so... Bulk Edit 500 listings at once.

(2) End listings and relist......This was done every 12 months...... always stimulating Best Match..  This end-relist process will start in February-March of 2017

(3) Always adding new listings.....

The importance is to constantly work the listings  and do not let them go "stale"...................  Always Wake up Best Match

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
The herd coming to the counter is just that, herding instinct.  

Getting back to Best Match then, we are all now in agreement that the Old Store versus New Store format is not a factor in Best Match and therefore not responsible for your lower-than-expected placement in the Buy Canadian promo? I would hate to see new sellers think they have somehow gained the advantage over an older, established seller simply buy buying a New Store subscription. 

Actually, the "herd" phenomenon might explain eBay rushes and slumps from time to time as well.  As we all know, eBay promotes specific types of items at various times in its targeted advertising (and interestingly, I've noticed the advertising varies widely by site).  EBay advertises in one category, prospective buyers see countdowns to listings ending, or others ending with sales and hurry to buy.  

I think you're misunderstanding what I was saying about the old v. new store format.  I filtered my by degrees, starting at the main page, not using Best Match.  It's quite possible that new/old store type could be a factor in Best Match as well, but I didn't particularly check for that.  I was searching the way my buyers would be likely to search.  So no, I don't think there can be agreement on that question, since no one can really know for certain what criteria, in what weight, go into Best Match (except eBay of course).  

My point in mentioning the results of my search was not that my particular placement in the Promotion was lower, but that the overwhelming majority of listings in the top 20 were "new format" store owners.  In fact, all except 3 were new store owners, with 9 listings by one "new format" seller.  That seemed peculiar -- and interesting.  How precisely that result was generated by eBay and on what basis, who knows?  But the result was significant enough that it meant something, somewhere was giving preference to "new format" store owners. 

Actually, new sellers (at least on .ca) can still, as far as I'm aware, choose to use the classic store format, although someone who moves into a store currently may be first presented with the "new format".  In which case, yes, all I can say is that based on the type of search I did, where all other main factors were equal, older sellers using the old store format, appear to be given lower preference in results.  That may or may not apply to Best Match as well.  

As I've said previously, this probably makes sense from eBay's viewpoint.  They have been phasing out or simplifying some of the more useful "old store" features for some time now.  I think it's only a matter of a few more months before the "new store" format becomes mandatory for everybody.  

As slick as the "new store" format looks, buyers will no longer be able to get any sense of the real person(s) behind the storefront, which I will regret.  Larger sellers of mass-produced goods likely won't care (and those who were unaware of the customizing available with the old format may not even know).  EBay will be happy.  It will have succeeded in creating a plain vanilla site where all storefronts look the same and the people behind them are more or less anonymous.  Online Wal-Mart.  Yet I know there will come a point where it no longer makes sense to hang on to the old style.  I'll be sad to see those personalizing pages go. 

My apologies, I'm straying off topic again, although I'm thinking that my "old format" store may be partly responsible for lack of sales from the Buy Canadian promotion.  My sales generally since July?  Overall much more erratic than usual, bigger bursts of activity with bigger slumps, the postal dispute notwithstanding.  Who really knows why.  Or we can just blame Donald Trump, he's got a whole lot of people in the world both mesmerized and worried. Woman LOL

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

I've got to say, I'm with Mr. Elmwood on this.  My sales have been fantastic and only getting better.  I've been doing this ebay thing for so long so I feel like I've really got a rhythm going in the way I sell (while of course adapting to the constant changes!). 

Some things I do:

1. I price very competitively - I look at sold listings and try to price near to the lower end

2. I am able to price competitively because I buy LOW and sell HIGH

3. I always have a large number of items available.  I have about 680 listings on right now.

4. I keep rolling my inventory, I relist unsolds but always add a bunch of new stuff to the mix (keeps my repeat customers happy!)

5. I have a large mix of items - I sell "needs" as well as "wants"

6. I ALWAYS use Best Offer.  People love it.

7. I always make use of Free Listing offers and I never add any extraneous expensive frills to my listings.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:
I posted before I read this comment of yours, rose.  My decision to move to GTC was based, in part, on this eBay rep's recommendation.  I don't have a store, so I'm not sure if that recommendation holds true for sellers like myself.  But, I thought, I'll give it a try.  Given all that I know, and all that I don't know, I can't help but think that where you place in search is simply a "c--pshoot.  

Yes, the recommendation to use GTC was directed at store owners, and the speaker didn't address non-store situations, so I really don't know.  At any rate, I decided to take his strongly worded advice. 

You're right about placement seeming to be a "c-shoot" at times, but I also think that part of the reason is that there are so many variables involved that one seller can't control them all at all times for every item.  

Consistently concentrating on "best practices" can get results, although those results can seem uneven if a seller only looks at a short time period.  We sellers tend to focus on our own actions and forget how many millions of other sellers on eBay may be doing the same thing.  Of course, the amount of competition you have and the type of item you sell are also part of the mix.  

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

The number of listings one has in a category  appears to have an influence on search placement... and ultimately sales...

Sales improved once there were 30 and more listings in a category......  and I keep adding to the low number categories... 

Yes, I've seen this phenomenon reported by sellers quite a number of times, so there is something to it.  

I've not been actively working my listings and inventory since July, as I've been so busy elsewhere, so I can't really complain about my current sales levels here.  When I have focused on those strategies, and using best practice consistently, I've noticed a very quick improvement.  

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

The flip side of the GTC is that I had hoped those listings would rank higher in Best Match since they wouldn't punt their sales history and Watchers every 30-days.  

Sellers were given a surprising little gem on this subject at the eBay conference this summer, one of the rare times eBay has actually revealed a specific piece of seller information.  At one of the seminars for store owners, the eBay rep definitively recommended that GTC should be used.  Now, since no one asked him whether that advice held true for non-store owners, it would have to be taken in the context that this was intended for store owners.  

There was an audible gasp (say, WHAT???) in the room when he said this, and a couple of sellers challenged him on it.  His response was simple and unequivocal -- "You should be using GTC".  

OK, if it comes from the source, and isn't merely a suggestion, this is something to take note of and act upon.  Which I did. 

I do not believe GTC should be used for OOAK (One Of A Kind) items that take months if not years to sell. Best Match is driven more by sales, not views. The more views you have on a OOAK (One Of A Kind) item without a sale, the lower it drops in Best Match.

I do not understand why anyone would actually believed eBay on this point. eBay just do not tell the truth often nor understand their own system. Even their so called experts who design and run their system. Even when it is at eBay Seminars at the yearly conference.

The only reason to use GTC for OOAK (One Of A Kind) listings is to save time listings if you have a lot of active listings. Even then I would suggest running GTC for 3 to 6 months and then relisting using Sell Similar to clear the accumulated history so a listing can be fresh. Also as mentioned, they will now be seen by buyers who search by Newly Listed.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply

Although I am currently selling other items that's temporary and not important to me.  As such, I don't control it the way I do my purses and how that stuff comes up in a search may not be under my control (although I do have a few tricks that haven't been mentioned here and work very well.   Smiley Wink

My observations regarding GTCed listings are about the collectibles I sell and specifically purses.    

eBay does not control the way my purses come up in a search.  I do.  I'm in control and that's one of the reasons I chose purses.

If I have the right buzz words in my title and have the item categorized correctly virtually every knowledgeable collector searching on eBay will see my item.

I always get a surge of sales right after listing and just before the 30 day cycles end.  The surge at the beginning of the cycle is because experienced buyers search for new listings.  The serge at the end is because new buyers don't control the search and those items get a boost in Best Match just before the 30 day cycles are about to end.

Message 31 of 32
latest reply

September was very slow for me compared to last year so I'm a bit worried. By now, the sales should have picked up but they haven't, and to make matters worse, my monthly feedbacks are much lower than pre-summer (from 60ish to 15ish is crazy). I wonder if not getting feedback impacts the sales somehow...

I've been listing everything GTC because I've been getting 50k free listing promotions on GTC listings (on .com and .ca) for months on end (since the switch to CAN on .ca was announced). Maybe they've been giving so many promotions to everyone that there are too many items for sale, leading to poor visibility. I think this may be the case because my "Views" are insanely minimal compared to before, especially on .ca. Often when my items reach their 30 day mark, they've had less than 10 views. That is ridiculously low for views. No views = no sales. So the question is: why are the views down so much?

I'm going to start focusing on auction listings to help with visibility. I always notice an increase in overall sales when I have auctions running. I hope that helps...
Message 32 of 32
latest reply