How long should it take to get a refund when paying with paypal. The item was returned and signed for on July 25th.

canadiens01joe
Community Member

I have emailed the seller a few times to see the progress of my refund but the seller has not responded.  I may be jumping ahead of myself in regards to the refund coming back to me this fast.  Would like to know the the normal time frame would be.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

How long should it take to get a refund when paying with paypal. The item was returned and signed for on July 25th.

Are you saying that your Delivery Confirmation number shows that the seller received the item back on July 25?

It is the weekend, and the seller may be busy.  Not much of an excuse, but it is possible.  When did you buy the item?  You have 45 days in which to file a claim (but best to do it no later than day 43).  You have only 2 choices, 'not received' or 'not as described', so in this case I'll assume the latter.

If it were me and there was still lots of time, I would give the seller until Monday late afternoon (seller's time).  Knowing the seller has received the emails and had ample time to read them, with no response and no refund I would open my claim.  See Section 4 of the following link:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

When you get a refund, it is instant.  Within a minute or two at most you get a notice in your regular email - an auto-generated one - that your payment has been refunded.  Don't let your seller delay you or ignore you.  I'd say let the seller have the weekend, and if still no refund by late Monday, - well, you make your own decisions, but if it were me I would file the claim.

Best of luck. 🙂

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Oh, and if you do have to go the route of opening a claim, when you enter the Delivery Confirmation number showing the seller has the item back it will expedite the refund.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

leb17
Community Member

Hi canadiens01joe

This is how PP (PayPal) works:

If you funded the original payment with...

1. Funds that is in your PP account, it will be returned to your PP account.

2. Funds from your bank account, it will be put in your PP account.

3. Funds from a CC (Credit Card) will go back to the CC and can take up to 30 days to show (most cases less time)

As dimil stated you should receive a auto generated email indicating so.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Oh, right, of course, leb17, - I didn't mean to suggest that a refund might be back in his hands or on his card in a matter of seconds, goodness no, - I meant for those wondering if a seller has refunded, the paypal notice shows up in their regular email right away.  It definitely won't be on a card right away.  Good of you to clear that up.  ...  hahaha!:^O

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
Some sellers are experts at delaying buyers until the 45 day dispute deadline had expired. If the seller tries to give you any excuses for why the refund is delayed or asks you to be patient and wait a little longer,these would be excellent reasons to open the dispute as soon as possible.the seller may be perfectly honest,but you can't afford to take a chance if your 45 day deadline is fast approaching.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply