How to deal with this?

zetorg
Community Member

Hi,

I sold an item to a customer in France. Sent it via Xpresspost. According to tracking information it arrived today but the customer sent me a message demanding to know where his package is. He said he wasn't at home at the time of delivery and there was nothing in his mailbox. 

He said he'd check with his Post Office tomorrow. 

The address on the package was 100% correct.

Now, I'm not sure how to deal with this situation. What if I get a message tomorrow that the package did not reach the recipient. What do I do? Will CanadaPost help me? What can they do anyway? Probably check the tracking and say: it arrived. 

I'm fairly new as a seller. I'm a bit nervous. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

How to deal with this?

zetorg
Community Member

Sorry. Tracking shows it arrived on the 18th.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

I recommend in MOST FRIENDLY MANNER to suggest your buyer to visit his postal outlet where he gets regular pick-ups.

- May be the delivery man forgot to leave a note about the parcel?

- May be in France they will try for another delivery on other day?

Tell your client that you can not be very familiar with particulars of postal procedure in each country, but you expect the similarity with others.

The appearance of the item in Frence's tracking system is a good sign, and the buyer should address this number in his postal outlet.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

zetorg
Community Member

Thanks for reply. 

Yes, that's what he said he'd do tomorrow - go to his local Post Office.

I don't think there is anything I can do at this point.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

Hello - I completely agree with "Block 36" comments - contact the buyer very politely (see next paragraph for information that might help), but I'd give it another day or so and you may find the problem will sort itself out.  I use Xpresspost a lot, both to Europe and the U.S., and I've yet to have an item not arrive. 

Also, be aware with online tracking there is an important distinction between "parcel arrived" (in a foreign county, etc.), and "item has been delivered".  The former means it's been scanned upon arrival at the airport or postal sorting facility in that country, the latter that it (or a delivery notice card) has actually been delivered to the recipient's address.

If worse comes to worst, you can refund the buyer and with Xpresspost the item will be returned to you should it really be undeliverable.  But don't panic - I think the buyer just has to connect properly with his local P.O. 

In future, if you're using Xpresspost for a valuable item, you could consider paying the extra small charge to get a signature confirmation, as I sometimes do.  It's the ultimate proof that the parcel got into the recipient's hands. 

I hope this helps!

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

zetorg
Community Member

Thanks. Not buying a signature confirmation was a mistake. Tracking info says 'Delivered'. I have to wait until tomorrow to see if it's really missing.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

zetorg
Community Member

I got a message from the client today. He says that the package was not at the post office. Now, he obviously wants his money back. My mistake was that I didn't purchase a signature confirmation. It was a valuable item. How do I know he really didn't receive that item. Tracking info clearly says 'Delivered'. 

This really sucks.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

Tell the buyer to follow Ebay procedure for "item not received" so it is documented with the proper people.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

zetorg
Community Member

I did. And he did. 

The problem that I have with this is I don't have any proof that he did not receive it (I know I should purchase signature confirmation). I have a proof that I sent it and that the address on the package was correct, and a proof that it was Delivered. The fact that I have to issue a full refund doesn't feel right. 

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

Don't fret. You have not had to issue a refund so far.

Have the buyer file an Item Not Received as per eBay policy. Don't let them bully you into a refund.

You have proof through tracking that the item arrived though no Signature Confirmation could render this a sticky situation. I take it it was a pricey item.

Tough call should the buyer escalate the claim.

Others could probably be of more assistance as i have no experience with this type of situation. 

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

Hi again - This really is a a rock-and-a-hard-place situation, but I agree with the others that you should let the buyer go through the "item not received" procedure first, and see what the outcome is with eBay.

Personally, in these circumstances I would hold off giving a refund and take a few deep breaths.  There is still a possibility the item will show up during the eBay claim process.  My gut feeling is that, provided this buyer isn't scamming the system (and you) by falsely claiming he never received the item, the French postal service will eventually find him. 

Just a suggestion (it may be too late) - did you email to the buyer a screen shot of the Xpresspost tracking info and a scan of the slip that you did up for the parcel?  I once had a somewhat similar situation and it turned out the buyer just needed to actually show the tracking info to his P.O. for the item to be located - in other words, his name and address wasn't sufficient for them to find it.  Since it got as far as France, their postal authorities should do a little legwork too.

Theft on the part of the postal service is another possibility of course - but you do have insurance on the parcel with Xpresspost, and presumably could make a claim for loss to Canada Post once the eBay procedure is closed.  This would help to cover the cost of a refund to the buyer if it becomes necessary.   Still, I'd try to wait it out for the time being. 

I'll check back here in a week or so to see what transpires, as this is something I think we all face as sellers sooner or later.  Keep us posted, and best of luck! 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

zetorg
Community Member

Hi,

This is what happened so far:

The customer from France claimed Not Delivered Mail at his Post Office. I emailed him the CanadaPost slip with receipt.

I called CanadaPost and reported Not Delivered Mail. It is necessary for them to start talk to each other (CanadaPost and La Poste).

Customer also opened ebay "item not received" procedure. The money got locked by PayPal (which is fine). 

I don't think it's a scam on my customer's part. I checked his purchases. He pretty much buys similar stuff for similar amount of money and has 100% positive feedback. It's not a guarantee but I think the package is really missing. Could be stolen from his mailbox? 

He says he knows for sure that I sent it (I have proof I did) but he says he needs to 'protect' his money and I get it. 

Worst case scenario I will loose some money. I just don't want my rating to go down because of this so I'm trying to deal with it properly. 

Thanks for all the advice. I just got access to this Discussion Board couple days ago. Perfect timing.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

Calling Canada Post was the right step - will also help to show eBay you're serious about resolving the problem (ask Canada Post to follow up with emails to you so you have something to show for your efforts).  And you're right, the French postal authorities carry the bulk of responsibility at the moment, so they need to work with Canada Post on this one. 

I do agree that dealing with the situation fully and actively, and keeping your buyer informed, is the best way to avoid bad seller ratings.  You may not lose much money in the end.  As I say, I think you should be able to make an insurance claim with Canada Post once the buyer gets his eBay claim paid/money refunded.      

Let us know once it all gets sorted out. 

Cheers!

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

guessfourless
Community Member

Most likely he's got it -- If he doesn't

Tell your customer that you will call canadapost and open a trace for a missing item eventhough it's showing delievered online.

Take down his information name/address/telephone number/e-mail as canadapost will need this information for the claim (his phone number may be most important) Canadapost will look into it for you by contacting him regarding the matter.

The tracking once shown delivered online will not change and you will be safe if your customer opens a claim for non-reciept. However, if you are worried about negative feedback it's super important to sympathize with your buyer and look into it further for him.

I've had a similar situation happen (not internationally) where it was shown delivered but she never got it. Ends up someone picked her parcel up for her and took about 1 week to figure out.

Goodluck!

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

guessfourless
Community Member

Sorry - For some reason only your inital message popped up!  Didn't mean to repeat what had been said

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

I thought now that while there is some kind of investigation initiated in Canada, you can recommend your buyer to look further in his place as well - if somebody acted dishonestly (postal person or neighbours?) and stole the package, it is in his best interests to learn more because he may have the similar problem in future (the thief who was not caught, will do it again thinking how smart he is). Question: did you have printed or hand-written address? Printed address shoulf be OK, but hand-written address may cause problems - the parcel for me from Europe was delivered to neighbour: his street number contains 7 where my street number shows 1. And in Europe many people write 1 similar to 7. And this was a hand-written address and the postman thought about number 7. The elderly lady accepted the parcel from the postal person because they do not ask for the recipient's name on delivery. When her husband arrived later, he figured out the postal error and walked to my address to bring the parcel. Hope the parcel you sent will appear from somewhere!

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

All signatures "automatically" come with a signed for service as long as it is international like US or overseas.  When printing - if you CLICK ON the signature option - it will give you a mistake and will not be able to print.

Only time it is not automatic is within Canada.

I send most of my packages by xpresspost.  I hope this helps.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

I had a similar issue with a buyer from France once. She claimed that she never received the parcel and filed Item Not Received, got her money back from Paypal. Then I got a call in the middle of the night, it was her. She taller me that she has the same address as her neighbour, and she suspects that her neighbour stole the parcel. She said she would go into her neighbours place and would look around for the item ]:)]:)

Never heard from her again

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

zetorg
Community Member

Hi,

It all ended well. The delivery date from tracking info shows Monday. My buyer was away and not home until Thursday. On Thursday he checked tracking info and it showed 'Delivered' with Monday date. Post Office couldn't find it. It turns out his Mail Man noticed the value on the package ($300) and decided not to leave it in the mail box. He kept it until he could deliver to the recipient in person (which is not a bad thing). It was delivered yesterday.

Thanks for all your help guys. This is a great place.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

How to deal with this?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  And celebrations!!!

I predicted it will be found!

🙂

Message 20 of 21
latest reply