I assume EBAY is ABOVE the LAW then right?

-- There's NO such thing as a CONTRACT 
-- NO such thing as LAW 
-- NO JUSTICE!!! 
... bought an item off ebay - seller would not send the item - opened a case - seller sends my money back I argued that entering into an EBAY agreement is a LEGAL CONTRACT! Ebay said (quote) "we have our policies" oh I said, so you are above the law? regardless, the seller is OFF the HOOK SCOT FREE AND the SELLER RELISTED the SAME ITEM at DOUBLE the PRICE!!! Ebay rep also said, "When you buy online, you are taking a risk" I must have MISSED that NOTICE on their website!!!!l

well my company has "Policies" too but doesn't mean we can negate our LEGAL CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS!

EBAY  says "its a legal contract" but then they do NOTHING to enforce that! There should be penalties against the seller, if not banned from the site, but they would just open again under a different name......

I was once selling things online... a buyer bought a folding shovel from my website but the wrong one was shipped. The guy called from Texas, said he was a collector of WWII stuff and wanted the "Authentic German WWII folding shovel" for his son for Christmas.. (this was a few days before Christmas). I found the shovel he wanted, bought it for him shipped it to him overnight courier and because of the shipping costs, it was not worth it for me to pay to have the original one returned so I let him keep that too. Cost me $150.00 but I MADE IT RIGHT!

---EBAY/PAYPAL is multi BILLION dollar company will not honour a legal contract.. Won't even penalize the CHINESE SELLER even though they REPOST the item at more than DOUBLE the price I bought it for!!! ---- in real estate for example, a buyer and a seller enter into a contract. The Deposit is held in TRUST. If one party wants OUT of that contract, the broker cannot simply decide to give the buyer the deposit back! No! its held in TRUST for a REASON! Maybe the other party DOES NOT want the other party released from the contract! It has to be by MUTUAL CONSENT!!! I'm REALLY **bleep**!

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

pierrelebel

this has nothing to do with reserve. I bought a product as a "buy it now" not an auction. [I agree auctions need to be able to have reserves] but if you buy something, then the seller needs to fulfil that part of the "contract"

OR 

Ebay has to post that there IS NO CONTRACT - AND the SELLER has the right to back out of any agreement as they see fit - as the posted noted in Ebay "France"

If this was the case, to be FAIR, then BOTH SELLER AND BUYER would need to have that same right, to be able to pull out of any "agreement" they might have had.. then the whole system is based on "honour" -- which is BULL **bleep** today.

A "Legal Contract" on the other hand is a LEGAL CONTRACT, it must have certain elements; the parties, their position in the contract, dates, product or service, action, and an end date (there is no such thing as a perpetual contract in law) Contracts can even be verbal but verbal contracts are harder to enforce. Both parties are then tied to an action and are expected to fulfill their end of the obligation, be that payment or fulfilment. When one side does not fulfil their end of the agreement, this is known as breach of contract.

Ebay needs to make a CHOICE of SERVICE - they CANNOT say, "you are entering into a LEGAL BINDING CONTRACT" when in fact we found out you are NOT.

If they want to keep their current direction, then they need to change the language on their terms and conditions stating - as we said, "Ebay is an "HONOR BASED SYSTEM - this is NOT a LEGAL or BINDING CONTRACT and EITHER BUYER or SELLER may back out of the agreement as they feel fit"

If they want to keep things LEGAL -- then the way they need to do it is keep purchase money in escrow until both buyer and seller are happy with the results of said CONTRACT - THEN release funds to the seller.. If there is a PROBLEM, like the seller does not SEND the item or its the wrong item or not like described etc, that money cannot simply be released. it has to be CONCLUDED by both buyer and seller...

Sellers should also have to maintain insurance, based on a percentage of the value of the sale if they cannot (or will not) fulfill their end

of the agreement.

in my case, I simply bought a similar item from another seller, but Ebay sells high end stuff too, like real estate. With real estate, each property is unique in its own way.

what if it was a historic artifact that could not be replaced? 

what if the buyer was buying something that they knew they could -resell and make more money on and the original seller renegade? should that seller not be responsible for damages as well?

the problem here is the process.

Ebay has to make a choice of they type of service they want to promote. they cannot have it both ways.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

You can theorise all you want but since there is no practical way to enforce civil law at a retail level, especially internationally, it will remain forever theory.

The present system, whatever you may call it works pretty well in practice; occasionally it does not but shrugging and moving on is the only sensible course of action.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

I may have missed it but what reason did the seller give you for cancelling the transaction? Perhaps they do not ship to Canada?

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

what if it was a historic artifact that could not be replaced? 

Then it stays in the hands of the original owner who is the seller.  It's not like it disappears in a puff of smoke.

what if the buyer was buying something that they knew they could -resell and make more money on and the original seller renegade? should that seller not be responsible for damages as well?

Then the buyer doesn't make the profit he hoped for. Which might not have happened anyway. Counting chickens....

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

I have had the same thing happen. I think it's time a few of us got together and start a class action...maybe we can sue eBay into giving proper customer service.....ya right
Message 25 of 25
latest reply