I honestly think eBay believes they can run their site without us.

EBay seems to be driving away sellers allot lately,

1) Forcing Canadians to list items at Canadian $$ prices.

2) Expanding Buyer protections at the expense of Seller's protections. (basically to sell on here now, you have to be willing to accept that you could be giving your item away for free)

3) Overly tight guidelines such for new sellers, such as having to ship domestically. 

What is the advantage of using this site over others that actually care about their sellers?

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Hi Phoenix, "Cash in hand" is kind of a state of mind.

If you are new seller, PAYPAL holds the money (sort of in escrow) for up to 21 days to make sure you are a valid seller. The money is yours, assuming you do your part , it is just not released yet. 

When you are no longer a new seller, when a buyer pays and uses paypal (non-echeque) the money shows up immediately in your PAYPAL account, however in reality it isn't there yet.

PAYPAL shows it in your account immediately, but if there are clearance problems from the buyers end, oops it gets removed from your PAYPAL Acccount. This can happen up to a couple/few days later. I know because it has happened to me before and I've learned this from talking to the PAYPAL folks. I am not sure what conditions can cause this, ie what the buyer did for it to "bounce" since it wasn't an echeque.

If the buyer uses an echeque, they treat it like a real cheque and allow some clearance time, theoretically we're supposed to wait until the echeque clears before we ship.

If the buyer uses a credit card, they can dispute the charge, and again the money gets taken back out of your account.

If the buyer claims INR, the money can end up being taken out of your account depending on the situation.

As I mentioned in a different thread, it doesn't matter if one withdraws the money from their paypal account, if it gets reversed they'll take it back from the credit card or bank account that is attached to the PAYPAL account. If that doesn't work they turn if over to a collection agency (I know someone who got a call from a collection agency!)

So while the 21 day hold is a big frustration to a new seller, it is probably the least concern of the above "cash in hand" risks.... 

Message 21 of 60
latest reply

Actually no, cash in hand in not subjective, having money sit and be 'pending' is not the same as being paid.  And yes it is stressful, I don't see why I am immediately distrusted but a buyer can sign up and they are trusted right away.  So there money is considered more valuable then my items. 

Also setting up a merchant account is very difficult and not at all a simple process in Canada.

And as far as Paypal, they are risky to do business with as well,  I recently shipped out an item, I sent with tracking with the exact method of shipping I promised and even had the package examined at the post office to verify it's contents and paypal pulled the seller protection from the transaction and they wont even give me a valid reason.  

You guys seem to think a buyer should feel 100% secure in their transactions and given the extreme protection they get, I don't see why they wouldn't.  Meanwhile sellers get to stress and be worried that they could be cheated at any time.   And you can say Oh I account for a 1-2% loss, but it can be far more then that and when you can't trust that Ebay of Paypal will be there to protect your interests, you have no other choice but to do it yourself.

Message 22 of 60
latest reply

I understand your frustrations and concerns, that's also why if you recall some of the advice in a different thread was to start with small (priced) items, learn the ropes and work your way up to bigger priced items.

Personally I'd never suggest anyone start out selling items priced hundred(s) of dollar each on ebay (or anywhere).

Wayyyyy back in 1999land when I started on eBay, I started with items priced in the $10 to $20 range and it was much much easier in those days, but I had a lot to learn then too.

When I start on a new online site, even today, I never start with the big priced stuff because every site has it's challenges which one has to figure out. You've encountered some of ebay's. You'll probably encounter more, just as you would on any site.

There is lots you can learn via reading instead of experiencing on these boards. I know I have.
Message 23 of 60
latest reply

I don't think I'm the one with allot to learn, Im a perfectly honest seller.  The system is what needs correcting.   It places buyers security far and above a sellers.  I believe they should be equally addressed.  And for the tenth time, no it is not like this on every site.

Message 24 of 60
latest reply

"You guys seem to think a buyer should feel 100% secure in their transactions"

Yes I do.

Message 25 of 60
latest reply

@dark_phoenix9273 wrote:

I believe they should be equally addressed.  And for the tenth time, no it is not like this on every site.

You keep saying this, but never actually give a real example of what is different on the other sites... I don't sell anywhere else, so I do not know anything about other sites. I know about eBay, and yes, even after more than 10 years (counting my other account), I still learn every day. So will you.

Message 26 of 60
latest reply

Sites such as Amazon and Etsy and Star City Games and basically most other sites, where a seller is paid BEFORE items are sent out, meaning they have access to the money and they don't seem to be having problems.  

Message 27 of 60
latest reply

@dark_phoenix9273 wrote:

Sites such as Amazon and Etsy and Star City Games and basically most other sites, where a seller is paid BEFORE items are sent out, meaning they have access to the money and they don't seem to be having problems.  

The A-river site does NOT pay the seller before the item is sent out. A new seller can wait 3-4 weeks or longer before they get paid. And a 2-3 week average delay after that (unless they sign up to be pro seller with a monthly fee).

Message 28 of 60
latest reply

"Sites such as Amazon .... where a seller is paid BEFORE items are sent out"

That information is incorrect,

Message 29 of 60
latest reply

I've heard vastly different information.  But that doesn't change the fact that most sites ask you to pay them before they ship anything out, which is not unreasonable in my opinion.

You guys can nitpick all you want but that overall fact is that sellers are left far less protected then buyers are.

Message 30 of 60
latest reply

"I've heard vastly different information."

"heard" ?  I have sold on Amazon.  Have you?

"nitpick" ?  Providing factual information on these boards is important if you wish to acquire credibility.

"most sites ask you to pay them before they ship "  While that may be correct that most sites ask buyers to pay first, it does not mean that sellers get paid immediately.  There is a huge difference here.  There is nothing wrong with the concept of new sellers not getting access to the money paid by buyers until they are more experienced and have gained trust.

Message 31 of 60
latest reply

Yes EBay cheerleader,  I have and there are plenty of sites where they do get paid immediately.,

Message 32 of 60
latest reply

@dark_phoenix9273 wrote:

Yes EBay cheerleader,  I have and there are plenty of sites where they do get paid immediately.,

You need to go back and do some research reading the Amazon seller forums, as well as Etsy forums. Pierre is absolutely right on this point.

Message 33 of 60
latest reply

I don't think so, I know an Etsy seller and she gets paid in her account before shipping and has been from the start.

Message 34 of 60
latest reply

I have an etsy shop - the buyer pays and the payment will show in my payment account so I know I can mail the item but I don't actually have the money - it doesn't make it to my bank for about a week.  They post a note on your account saying when it will be sent to your bank.

Message 35 of 60
latest reply

On the river, the buyer is not charged until the seller has shipped the item, and that's why, if the seller cancels the transaction instead of shipping, there is no need to refund.

Message 36 of 60
latest reply

That is not true, either of those statments to be honest.  I have been a buyer on Amazon before and the money was taken out of my account before the seller shipped and as I said I have a friend who has an etsy shop and she is paid before she ships.

Message 37 of 60
latest reply

I am paid before I ship and in most cases, most sellers are. As I said in another thread, you need to read ebay policies so that you understand how things work.

I have been a buyer on Amazon before and the money was taken out of my account before the seller shipped

That means nothing. When a buyer pays with a echeque the money is taken out of their account right away but a Canadian seller does not receive that money for 5 -1 0 days. 

Message 38 of 60
latest reply

" the money was taken out of my account before the seller shipped"

That is correct.  However, that does NOT mean the seller gets immediate access to that money.  To make such assumption may lead to the wrong conclusion.

Message 39 of 60
latest reply

Cheerleader, Why shouldnt they though?  What is so wrong with that?  And I garuntee I can find a buyer to prove  they do.

Message 40 of 60
latest reply