I sold an item but as I was putting it in a box I noticed some unseen dammage. What can I do ?

I want to offer it free of charge to the buyer and pay the shipping myself if he still wants it. But how should I manage the whole transaction ?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I sold an item but as I was putting it in a box I noticed some unseen dammage. What can I do ?

Before you offer to pay for everything and ship it for free, why don't you contact the buyer, explain the situation, maybe send some new photo's, and ask them if they still want the item at at discounted price? You might still be able to salvage a few bucks profit or at least break even. If they get angry about the situation, then offer to send it free, or maybe they won't want it at all, which in case they may be willing to cancel the transaction. Good luck!

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Because I am a mean and cynical old lady, I would advise you to start by being less generous.

Contact the buyer with pictures. Explain that you need his opinion on where things should go.

Best option: He agrees to a Mutual Cancellation. The transaction ends. He gets refunded. You get your fees back. Both of you leave positive feedback. You toss the damaged item into the Recycling Box.

Or: he may suggest a partial discount. HE suggests it. Not you.

Or: he may decide you are trying to scam him.

If you are too generous, there is something in human nature that will push for more. With your suggestion, the bidder gets the item free, you are out the cost of packaging and shipping, the item is not what the bidder expected and he forgets the 'free' part and leaves negative feedback. And demands that you pay him for his disappointment.

I think I may have passed 'Cynical' three miles back.

And I think calling him that is an insult to the psychotic lowlife community.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply