If an ad says 'used' AND 'as is' (in seller's description) which does ebay regard as having precedence?

rruttan
Community Member

I was looking at an ad for a very nice old camera.  In what looks like the "Official ebay portion' of the ad it is referred to as "used".  In a portion obviously written by the seller it is referred to as 'as is', but that a pro has looked it over and pronounced it as working.  If I bid and win, and the item turns out not to function, what will ebay's stance be should I demand a refund?

I'm skeptical of this seller's store; expensive items -- Leica lenses, Hasselblads, etc., are listed at the same price -- $78.87 -- and all shipping is free.  There are also statements in the ads to the effect that all items are for sale elsewhere and will go if the asking price there is met.  Yet, the seller has 100% positive feedback.  Is there a game going on?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

If an ad says 'used' AND 'as is' (in seller's description) which does ebay regard as having precedence?

As the item is described as "used" and "as is", the seller has done his best to to be accurate and honest.  You could ask them about more details, return policy etc. If you're not comfortable with the answers you get, don't bid/buy.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

With paypal, you have 100% buyer protection for 45 days after end of sale regardless of the "as is" description.

If the item was listed as "for parts only" or was for local pick up, then the "as is" would appy. It doesn't apply if an item is supposed to be in working order even if used. 

Non paying buyers deserve unpaid item strikes.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply