Is anyone else bothered that feedback is voluntary?

With so much riding on feedback, why can't they find some way to make it mandatory?  Does anybody have any ideas?  Sellers reap all kinds of rewards from having good feedback ratings, but as a buyer it irks me when a power seller does not return the favour and leave feedback for his customer.  They want the feedback, but what can I do to get them to leave it for me?

The same is true for a seller who wants that feedback from a buyer.  What do I have to do without chasing them down?

Kathy

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I think more sellers (in particular) would be happy to have no feedback at all. And that is among those of us who keep out FB above 99%.

As philosopher Nicole Swerzinger puts it "Be careful what you ask for, 'cause you just might get it."

Forcing people to leave feedback when their feelings are somewhere between "Meh" and "Well it's okay but I blew my budget, why am I so stupid". would not be a Good Thing.  Better that they leave no feedback and just move on.

For buyers, feedback is basically irrelevant. It feeds the ego, but sellers can only leave positive feedback or no feedback. 

It is however, good manners to leave feedback for the buyer. The buyer does her job when she pays. Hooray! 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
It would not be a good idea to force buyers or sellers to leave feedback against their will. It's better for both parties to leave the system the way it is. The best thing the seller can do to maximize the chances of positive feedback is to provide a good product and excellent customer service.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I am also bothered by the lack of feedback, particularly after I have purchased something. The people that answered this question earlier seem to think that feedback isn't that important, to which I would ask them - if a seller with 0 feedback wanted to buy something from you, would you let them? They might, but they would certainly be queasy about doing so.

Feedback IS important! Buyers use a seller's feedback as a gauge to determine how easy a transaction could be completed. Sellers review a buyer's feedback to decide whether or not they will accept that person's bid. Striving for a higher feedback score isn't about ego - it's about reputation. The higher your score, the better your reputation. In fact, on several occasions I have purchased an item at a higher price simply because the seller had a better feedback score. So if you want my hard-earned dollars, the best way to get them is by ensuring that feedback remains an important cog in the system.

Now with that said, I do feel that the system is in need of an overhaul. First of all, it's not entirely fair that sellers can only provide positive feedback or none at all. As for buyers, it is my opinion that when a buyer pays for an item, the system should IMMEDIATELY increase their feedback -- as long as the payment is made within a certain time-line that a seller can specify in their listing options. This feedback is a no-brainer. Either the buyer pays for the item or doesn't. Once they pay, they have completed the only requirement necessary in order to receive that feedback. However, in addition to this "automatic" feedback, there should also be a system that sellers can use to rate buyers with such fields as "How quickly was payment made?", "How was the buyers communication?", "How quickly was feedback left?", and "Would you recommend this buyer?" as well as whatever else is deemed important. Sellers would be able to leave these ratings anonymously just like buyers do and the ratings are factored into the overall feedback score.

After the buyer receives the item, buyers have up to 14 days to provide feedback and sellers can have up to 30 days to leave their ratings. After the respective number of days elapses, the party that is late is penalized in some manner. Sellers may have increases to fees, buyers may be locked out of ebay for a number of days.

With something like this in place, there are multiple "wins". Buyers get feedback immediately as long as they pay for the item. Sellers have a better tool to use that enables them to "grade" buyers more accurately. With the star rating system being used by both parties, comments wouldn't be necessary anymore (although a field for comments could still be available just in case) and leaving feedback would just be a matter of filling in some stars. Ultimately this should make it easier and quicker to leave feedback and hopefully make it fair for everyone involved.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply