Item not received pass est delivery date, seller ask me to wait another 20 days?

ws_pj
Community Member

I bought an item (worth $100usd) on Mar 10.  The estimated delivery date is Apr 14 and item still not here.  Contacted the seller and was told to wait another 20 days.  It is a reputable seller.  Will I lose my right to dispute the charge, if I wait another 20 days and the item does not arrive?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Item not received pass est delivery date, seller ask me to wait another 20 days?

Hello 'ws_pj',

<<I bought an item (worth $100usd) on Mar 10.  The estimated delivery date is Apr 14 and item still not here. >>

Those estimated dates are exactly that, -- estimates.  They are not guarantees.  On ebay you have 30 days after 

the last estimated date to file a claim for Not Received, -- meaning 30 days from April 14 (if that was the last date 

and not the first):

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html#timeframes

On paypal you have 180 days (nearly 6 months) from when you paid to get a claim underway, - meaning 180 days 

from March 10.  See Section 13.5 of the following:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#13

<<Contacted the seller and was told to wait another 20 days.  It is a reputable seller.  >>

Yes.  It is very rare for a seller to not send an item.  There is no excuse to not wait as long as possible to seek 

restitution, particularly since now you know how long you have.  

<<Will I lose my right to dispute the charge, if I wait another 20 days and the item does not arrive?>>

No, definitely not.  In fact, if a buyer files too many claims for "not received" items that buyer may face having her 

accounts suspended.  If the last date of delivery was April 14, you have nearly a month yet to file a claim on ebay.

Nearly 5 months left with paypal.  

If the item came from Asia, you might find they take nearly 2 months to arrive.  Ebay is mail order, which means 

slow, which means have patience whilst reading up on how to file a claim if and when you need to.

Enjoy your new item. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Another 20 days sounds excessive to me.

I'd wait another week.

If the item has not arrived, request a full refund from the seller.

If not satisfied with the seller's response you have the option open a claim on eBay or PayPal now that the estimated delivery time has elapsed.

Save all correspondence between you and the seller until the matter is resolved.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

xeposter
Community Member

@ws_pj wrote:

I bought an item (worth $100usd) on Mar 10.  The estimated delivery date is Apr 14 and item still not here.  Contacted the seller and was told to wait another 20 days.  It is a reputable seller.  Will I lose my right to dispute the charge, if I wait another 20 days and the item does not arrive?

It sounds to me like the seller wants you to wait until the eBay Money Back Guarantee expires. Just because the seller has a HUGE feedback score does not mean they are reputable.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Hello Alex, 

<<It sounds to me like the seller wants you to wait until the eBay Money Back Guarantee expires. >>

Really?  That's not how it sounds to me.  It would if the seller urged the buyer to wait a further 40 days, not 20.

Twenty days still leaves time to file a claim.

It sounds to me like the seller is in China and items from there always take an unusual length of time to arrive.

On another thread the buyer stated the arrival time was the full 2 months.  That buyer was considering that ebay 

ought to extend its dates (not really necessary with paypal's 6 months to file).

This reminds me of the recent thread about fake tracking numbers and why they are used.  Sellers of cheap little 

items do indeed put them in the mail but they can take nearly 2 months to arrive.  So how does a seller stop all

these impatient buyers from filing claims to get freebies, aka, stealing from the seller?

<<Just because the seller has a HUGE feedback score does not mean they are reputable.>>

That is quite true, but applying that line of logic one could say that any seller may be disreputable.  Based on the

information we are provided here, the buyer is impatient and the seller asks for a reasonable waiting time.  After all, 

the seller did not choose that laughably optimistic delivery frame.  

People do not understand that the word "estimate" does not mean "guarantee".  The use of both the phrase and 

the dates are ebay's fault, of course, but it causes a lot of problems for buyers who think the item ought to be in their 

hands by the date specified, and sellers who do not choose these short dates but are forced to use the only extant 

postal system.  

There is not a scintilla of evidence that the seller is doing anything wrong or unreasonable at all here.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Plus Alex is in the US and they expect and usually receive their items within a few days using USPS. As we all know, Canada Post is nowhere near as speedy. To send to my daughter in AB always takes at least 10 days.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

Plus Alex is in the US and they expect and usually receive their items within a few days using USPS. As we all know, Canada Post is nowhere near as speedy. To send to my daughter in AB always takes at least 10 days.

What does shipping time have to do with this thread?

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

The whole thread relates to shipping time

Regardless, there is no rule that each thread has to only be about the original post. It's common for other conversations to start up or for things to go in a different direction. You seem to be quite worried about threads going off topic.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I agree that the eBay delivery time estimates are often optimistic.

I prefer 20 days from shipment for North American transactions and 30 from Asia.

What worries my is not that the seller asked for more time, but that he asked for another 20 days, nearly three weeks.

A week? no worries.

I think I would allow a week, and then without contacting the seller again which would be pointless, open the eBay Dispute.

The Resolution Centre is at the bottom of nearly every page.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The whole thread relates to shipping time

Regardless, there is no rule that each thread has to only be about the original post. It's common for other conversations to start up or for things to go in a different direction. You seem to be quite worried about threads going off topic.

I'm not worried about threads going off topic, but I was confused about what vintagenorth was talking about.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

She is talking about the differences between postal service in USA and Canada.  Americans seem to expect that everything will be mailed with tracking or delivery confirmation, and will arrive within 4 days max.  Canadians cannot buy inexpensive tracking/delivery confirmation, we have many remote communities, slower postal delivery.  Therefore to have something go by mail from Ontario to Alberta (and this is to an urban area) can take 10 days from entering the mail system to delivery.  Add more days if coming from and/or going to rural areas, add more days for remote destinations.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I live approx 20km (12.5 miles for the Americans) from the major mail distribution center in Moncton ,,New Brunswick,,if I mail a letter at the post office here,,yes we have actual post office 🙂 it takes on average 4 days just to get delivered in Moncton,,,Canada Post is not known for speed.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Gee New Brunswick must have changed since I was there Smiley Happy  Your listings show Woodstock NB as location, I think that's about 2-1/2 hours from Moncton - or has something moved?  Or maybe you've moved, and forgot to change your location on your eBay listings?

Message 13 of 13
latest reply