Item shipped was different than item in picture

after*8
Community Member

Here is the short and skinny:

1. Bought item from ebay: Mr Potato Head (rare limited exclusive!)

2. Pictures showed NO damage to any of the corners, looked perfect. (Note: there were two tiny white marks on a graphic on the front of the box)

3. Bought item, item arrived very well packaged to the point that damage would be nearly impossible!

4. Item is damaged (torn) on one of the corners.

5. Seller claims that this was the item pictured, and the damage must have happened in shipping, which I've stated would be nearly impossible with the well done packaging job --- Note: the box I received did NOT have the two tiny white marks on the graphic

6. What can I do? Shipping + GSP costs made the item VERY expensive!

It does look like GSP has opened the package, re-sealed it, and then put a new shipping label on it. Even if they did do this, the item was wrapped in a separate clear bag, so the people opening the box would not have even touched the item.

Original Item Description:

"Brand new, unopened!  I package nicely and will ship it as soon as payment is received.

Exclusive item for Deadpool fans!"

I didn't feel the need to ask if there were damages since the pictures were very thorough and I could see the tiny bit of damage I was expecting.

I have contacted the seller, he says that this is the same item as pictured. I have since pointed out that the item I received does not have the tiny white marks on the front like the picture does, I am awaiting a response.

I have included pictures.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It does look like GSP has opened the package, re-sealed it, and then put a new shipping label on it. Even if they did do this, the item was wrapped in a separate clear bag, so the people opening the box would not have even touched the item.

Let's start with, do you want the item you received or do you not?

If you do, then you have to work something out with the seller, because with eBay/Paypal your only way of getting satsfaction is to return the item (with Confirmation of Delivery) and get your original payment back. At best you might be able to come to an agreement on a partial refund, but many sellers have a "no refund without return ' policy.

If you do not, since the item was repackaged (probably to determine where the toy was manufactured, something the seller carelessly did not report), then start the Item Not As Described dispute.  You will be reimbursed by Pitney Bowes (who handle the GSP). They may or may not require you to return the item. That seems to vary, though mostly they don't seem to want it. 

Your seller's responsibility ends when DC shows delivery to PB in Kentucky. You can leave appropriate feedback and DSRs for him but please don't blame the seller for something he cannot control (like the handling your parcel got at the GSP plant).

PB/GSP puts a special message on their 'inspected' parcels. It has the eBay logo clearly on it. Did you get that message?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I don't see returning the item as feasible due to high shipping cost. I don't want to lose money just to return the item. I do have confirmation of delivery. It came from USA to Canada. When it came to Canada it switched over to Canada Post, and I have a confirmation of delivery email, plus when you put in the tracking number on Canada Post it will show as delivered. Would that suffice?

I'm not sure if the seller put where the item was manufactured or not. I will ask when they respond to the last message I sent them.

The box has this on it:
1: Seller's shipping invoice printed from eBay.
2: On top of that, ebay/Pitney Bowes packaging tape resealing the package.
3: On top of that, a new shipping label through Canada Post.

I don't see 'inspection' anywhere on the box.

I haven't posted feedback yet because I want to avoid leaving bad feedback at all costs. At this point, I am still concerned that the seller sent a different item than in the picture because the picture showed very minor damage to the graphic on the box that was not on the item I received.

As you can see from the image, the toy is in its original packaging. When the seller packaged the item, he placed the box in a clear plastic bag so no damage would come to the box. There were air packets packaged around the item so that it wouldn't shift.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Update: Seller still insists it is the same item as in the picture, despite differences I have pointed out.

Seller did not include the country of manufacturing origin, stating : "Oh. Sounds like you are outside the US and unfortunately customs could have opened the package and potentially ruin it." --- apparently even though my address says CANADA, and I would assume that the shipping label he printed from eBay says CANADA, he couldn't tell I lived in CANADA. Did I not make it clear my having a Canadian address, with Canada on it, that I live in Canada?

I've opened up a PayPal claim for the item. But it seems that it is only requesting $17.50 from Pitney Bowes and not the 'brokerage/import fees,' or the amount of the item. $17.50 doesn't even make a dent in buying a replacement item! Which is what I'm going to have to do because the damage is too unacceptable for my collection.

I'm starting to have less and less faith that this seller is innocent.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply