Life after Ebay..What are you doing now for extra money?

So what's everyone doing now that Ebay has fallen apart? (For most of us anyhow).

Me? I started doing Uber.

Uber is actually a lot like Ebay.  Instead of driving from garage sale to flea market to look for stuff to sell, I'm just driving, period.  I don't need to worry about finding a buyer for my items.

Uber takes about a 20% cut, similar to Ebay.

Uber users leave feedback and about 5% of people I'd say are Jerks.  Remarkably consistent with Ebay in my experience.  In it's heyday I found about 5% of people seemed a little off. I think with 6 billion people on the planet 300 million people are jerks.

Anyone else got some ideas?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Growing my own food... seriously. Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Keeping my Ebay store open until it's no longer worth it (likely soon) and expanding my inventory on Amazon to have them warehouse and ship some items for me.  I also have my own site which has picked up in sales a lot more since I started on Amazon  almost a year ago (more exposure I think from being on Amazon).  When my Ebay store subscription expired I did not renew it and instead I now pay a couple more dollars monthly for the right to close up on Ebay at any time without penalty.

Slower sales, customers who misuse both EBay's return policy and feedback system and being nickel and dimed to pieces for fees on Ebay are my main issues.  Not to mention this new system coming of seller defects if buyers don't answer truthfully that they received their item on time since I ship almost everything without tracking.  It seems like a nightmare waiting to happen!  It's amazing how some customers will even complain when they are charged only $2 for shipping but expect tracking and expedited service! 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Why do sellers say ebay is no longer worth it ? Am i the only one buying stuff on here. Look at just some of the iteams i bought over the course of 2 months on here

Yankee candle Black cherry candle

Home made Lilac candle

rose scented tealights

Air wick sparkling citrus candle

strawberry incense

axe Clix deodorant stick

glade wisp suddenly spring refills

glade wisp clean linen refills

glade wisp orchid refill

glade gel country garden and vanilla refill

glade ocean blue plug-in

glade ocean blue gel refill

Journey bootleg 8 track from a concert in 1981

enya orinoco flow 45 rpm record

david hasselhoff the current of love 45 rpm record

Gary Jules "Mad World" cd single

tears for fear "Mad World" 45 rpm record

A styx 8 track

multiple 8mm woody woodpecker cartoons

8mm and 16mm film about travel places i want to visit

some 16mm educational film

I use ebay to buy discountinued Glade scents that i like. Discountinued axe deodorant and bodyspray i liked. I buy  body care products that i can't find locally. I'm the kind of person that when i like a product it's hard to make me change. Ebay is a great place for candles. Some of the candles and incense come from chinesse sellers with free shipping.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@caye-seba wrote:

Why do sellers say ebay is no longer worth it ? 

For Canadian sellers (and others as well) a lot of items are not worth selling.  

For example, let's say you paid $9 for your Glade refill.

A Canadian seller would have to ship for free or buffer shipping cost to compete with US and/or Chinese sellers.

That's means that after item cost etc. that seller would only profit a few dollars and probably net quite a bit less than minimum wage.

There are many items falling into that category and that's why some sellers no longer find it worth the time and effort it takes to sell here.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I moved almost all of my vinyl records, CDs, and cassettes to another site which is dedicated to selling music. Gee whiz, I actually have sales over there. Steady sales. I still have a bit more vinyl to move over there and then all I'll have here is the music memorabilia. Unless of course someone can point me somewhere else for that too.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I was a US seller for many years. This is just my posting id. I have sold some items on a local site. I went to the flea market the past two weeks. I sold a few things there. I sell new clothing and shoes and I can't get the prices I want at a flea market. I have tried other sites but they are very slow. Only two sales since May on that site.

I continue to list on the local site daily. I prefer cash any day.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply