March 12th 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Hi everyone - please post your questions here... we'll see you at 1PM Eastern.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Hello,

I am posting this question now as I do not know if I will be able to attend at the scheduled time.

I hope this is an acceptable question?

I am wondering when ebay Canada shipping will be offering Free Delivery Confirmation on Regular Lettermail?

The reason I am asking is that I recently received an 8oz First Class Mail shipment from the US which was upgraded at the Border to Xpresspost with Tracking. The American Seller paid $3.45 to send it to me with Delivery Confirmation and I would like to know when ebay Canada is going to give its Canadian Sellers the same deal?

There is NO way to compete for sales when US Sellers are constantly getting bigger and bigger advantages such as this. I can't even ship Xpresspost to my neighbour in the same Metro Area for that little.

As far as I know the cheapest way for a Canadian based ebay Seller to ship to the US with Delivery Confirmation is Tracked Package (@ a staggering $15.01.) The only option which is anywhere near competitive is $3.79 for Light Packet which has the almost impossible size restriction of 20mm (and 0.150 KG.)

imageelf
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I don't usually voice my concerns to you guys but I want an explanation on this.

Why....why....WHYYYYY was the ability left in place for buyers to rate a seller on "shipping time" left in on the new spring update?

Where is the light for the people analyzing things over there??

You don't have to look hard to see that the majority of buyers don't comprehend or understand what they're actually rating a seller on.

This whole sense of rating "shipping time" is such a jumbled cluster-bomb of  buyers misconstrued expectations/opinions/assumptions/ignorance/naivety/lack of common sense/pettiness/confusion/mystification/perplexity/misinterpretation.......want more words?????

Heck! Just look at my feedback and what percentage of my positive comments thank me for my "VOLUNTEER/UNPAID" job that I didn't know I had with Canada Post.

The fact that Americans are more inclined to rate Canadian sellers poorly due to a complete lack of understanding of the system makes this rating being left in a slap in the face to us all...........

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

The ONLY reason Americans can rate us on this is our inability to upload a Tracking # within 24 hours of the sale.

All American Sellers have to do is PURCHASE Shipping with Delivery Confirmation through either ebay or PayPal within that 24 hours and they are automatically exempt from a Buyer rating.

Of course the significant point here is PURCHASE which does not actually have anything to do with putting the parcel in the mail.

imageelf
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@old.crows.nest wrote:

Hello,

I am posting this question now as I do not know if I will be able to attend at the scheduled time.

I am wondering when ebay Canada shipping will be offering Free Delivery Confirmation on Regular Lettermail?

The reason I am asking is that I recently received an 8oz First Class Mail shipment from the US which was upgraded at the Border to Xpresspost with Tracking. The American Seller paid $3.45 to send it to me with Delivery Confirmation and I would like to know when ebay Canada is going to give its Canadian Sellers the same deal?

There is NO way to compete for sales when US Sellers are constantly getting bigger and bigger advantages such as this. I can't even ship Xpresspost to my neighbour in the same Metro Area for that little.

As far as I know the cheapest way for a Canadian based ebay Seller to ship to the US with Delivery Confirmation is Tracked Package (@ a staggering $15.01.) The only option which is anywhere near competitive is $3.79 for Light Packet which has the almost impossible size restriction of 20mm (and 0.150 KG.)

Hi old.crows.nest,

I agree with you 100% about the advantage that US sellers have over Canadians in terms of shipping. However, while eBay does negotiate rates for our sellers both in the US and in Canada, the huge gap you are describing has a lot more to do with Canada Post pricing than anything eBay has control over. Before we start pointing fingers though, it should be noted that Canada doesn't have similar circumstances as the US does, our country is much larger and the population is a lot more sparse (the total population of Canada is about equal to that of the state of California alone). This presents obvious challenges for a national shipping company, obviously the costs associated with moving parcels across such a larger area and without the distribution network that USPS has.

With that being said, I encourage you to take your comments to Canada Post and make your voice heard.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

How many more sellers do you think Ebay will purge with this new ridiculous defective garbage. It appears more and more that
Ebay wants to be a commercial marketplace and get rid of all private sellers.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@007steveb16 wrote:

I don't usually voice my concerns to you guys but I want an explanation on this.

Why....why....WHYYYYY was the ability left in place for buyers to rate a seller on "shipping time" left in on the new spring update?

Where is the light for the people analyzing things over there??

You don't have to look hard to see that the majority of buyers don't comprehend or understand what they're actually rating a seller on.

This whole sense of rating "shipping time" is such a jumbled cluster-bomb of  buyers misconstrued expectations/opinions/assumptions/ignorance/naivety/lack of common sense/pettiness/confusion/mystification/perplexity/misinterpretation.......want more words?????

Heck! Just look at my feedback and what percentage of my positive comments thank me for my "VOLUNTEER/UNPAID" job that I didn't know I had with Canada Post.

The fact that Americans are more inclined to rate Canadian sellers poorly due to a complete lack of understanding of the system makes this rating being left in a slap in the face to us all...........

Hi 007steveb16,

Thanks for your feedback on this. Shipping time is a very important factor to buying online - eBay or not - so we want to make sure Buyers are still able to grade this accurately, based on their experience. We'd suggest conveying a realistic time frame on your listings (and anywhere else you feel valuable), this should help set those expectations correctly. Keep in mind that only 1s are calculate in the defect rate - anything above shouldn't affect your status.

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

We all know ebay doesn't control Canada Post, and we know ebay recognizes Canada Post is a disadvantage.

However, ebay could control how they "punish" the sellers.  Not only does  ebay not recognize the Canada Post disadvantage, you continue to treat us WORSE then americans being you protect them from international ratings while you continue to do nothing for us.  Completely in ebay's control,  ebay chooses to treat the Canadians worse 

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

How can they make these policies retroactive. Another way to punish and get rid of small sellers

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@tobyshitzu wrote:

We all know ebay doesn't control Canada Post, and we know ebay recognizes Canada Post is a disadvantage.

However, ebay could control how they "punish" the sellers.  Not only does  ebay not recognize the Canada Post disadvantage, you continue to treat us WORSE then americans being you protect them from international ratings while you continue to do nothing for us.  Completely in ebay's control,  ebay chooses to treat the Canadians worse 

Just to bring a broader outlook to this, currently eBay Canada does not have a domestic Seller Standards program as the US does. We are on the Global Standards program which doesn't have things like tracking, 1 day handling or 14 day returns requirements.

The US program however, which is designed to regulate US sellers, will present added challenges for international sellers wanting to build a business from across the border. This is a reality for any non US seller. Over the years, we at eBay Canada have been able to negotiate some clemency for Canadian sellers due to the unique rapport we have with the US business (we are the largest importers of US goods and second largest exporters to US buyers after China), for example:

• Allowing Canadian sellers into the US Top Rated program and get their 20% discount without having to meet the tracking requirement
  • Giving Canadian sellers their 20% discount on all items the list on eBay.ca and on eBay.com whether they are TRS in the US or Global programs, or both

Unfortunately, when it came to newer US programs like Top Rated Plus, we couldn't force the US Standards team to let Canadians get a TR Plus seal on their listings unless they met the same requirements as listings from US sellers do because it would break the promise that Top Rated Plus makes: Fast shipping & handling and long returns period. In the end, it's inevitable that decisions made to better the US domestic business and hold US sellers to higher standards will eventually play against sellers from outside the US, especially Canadians since shipping costs so much here.

I'm not saying the situation is anywhere near ideal but I hope this brings a bit of perspective.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@old.crows.nest wrote:

Hello,

Hi old.crows.nest,

I agree with you 100% about the advantage that US sellers have over Canadians in terms of shipping. However, while eBay does negotiate rates for our sellers both in the US and in Canada, the huge gap you are describing has a lot more to do with Canada Post pricing than anything eBay has control over. Before we start pointing fingers though, it should be noted that Canada doesn't have similar circumstances as the US does, our country is much larger and the population is a lot more sparse (the total population of Canada is about equal to that of the state of California alone). This presents obvious challenges for a national shipping company, obviously the costs associated with moving parcels across such a larger area and without the distribution network that USPS has.

With that being said, I encourage you to take your comments to Canada Post and make your voice heard.

Thank you for your response but I am more concerned with outgoing mail.

I have resigned myself to the fact that Domestic shipping is outrageously high.

As you stated here in Canada we cannot afford the same level of service that Americans enjoy. Our antiquated mail sorting machines are not automated to the point of being able to scan mail for Delivery confirmation Codes just addressing standards. I am also sure we don't pay our Contract Delivery people enough to give them a living wage if they were to scan all mail on delivery.

Which is my point, incoming mail from the US that we are most likely NOT compensated for, is receiving a preferred and higher standard than we are allowed one Canadian to another.

We are giving away a service that we are not entitled to Domestically and further burdening our Contracted Employees with responsibilities they did NOT sign up for.

I just want fair play. IF an American Seller, can through ebay /PayPal Shipping, get FREE D/C on International First Class Mail regardless of the size of the parcel MAKE the USPS give us the SAME courtesy in return.

It is ebay.com that offers the USA Sellers this service because they negotiated it with the USPS. Of course it costs the USPS close to not-a-thing because it is Canada Customs and Canada Post that is doing 3/4 of the work and re labelling cost.

Who is subsidizing that?

Your Canadian ebay Sellers with the $15.01 Tracked Package!

imageelf
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Hi Kevin, I am looking for help with a technical issue for the last three months, I reside in Ontario so I list on .ca, however in the last few months my US buyers cannot purchase more then one item without being asked to pay immediately for each individual item,  my settings in Canada and United States are set up correctly  to offer combine purchases  and  Ebay  has confirmed several times that my setting are correct,   I have called at least 7 times to find out a way to fix this  and from reading the boards & comments you may be the one that can help me.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@old.crows.nest wrote:

As you stated here in Canada we cannot afford the same level of service that Americans enjoy. Our antiquated mail sorting machines are not automated to the point of being able to scan mail for Delivery confirmation Codes just addressing standards. I am also sure we don't pay our Contract Delivery people enough to give them a living wage if they were to scan all mail on delivery.

Which is my point, incoming mail from the US that we are most likely NOT compensated for, is receiving a preferred and higher standard than we are allowed one Canadian to another.

We are giving away a service that we are not entitled to Domestically and further burdening our Contracted Employees with responsibilities they did NOT sign up for.

I just want fair play. IF an American Seller, can through ebay /PayPal Shipping, get FREE D/C on International First Class Mail regardless of the size of the parcel MAKE the USPS give us the SAME courtesy in return.

It is ebay.com that offers the USA Sellers this service because they negotiated it with the USPS. Of course it costs the USPS close to not-a-thing because it is Canada Customs and Canada Post that is doing 3/4 of the work and re labelling cost.

Who is subsidizing that?

This has to do with trading agreements in place between USPS and Canada Post. eBay is not participant in deciding what happens to a USPS package when it reaches the Canadian border, or vice versa.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

I'm not in a good frame of mind over this update. Maybe CEO should figure out why he is getting a 50% pay cut for the last year. Maybe he should remember sellers are also buyers and if the upset enough of them or get rid of them you are losing good buyers in hopes of replacing them with newbies who know nothing when they start. If I don't sell on Ebay for any reason, I won't buy either and a lot of sellers feel the same way.

Why does Ebay continue to antagomize and punish buyers and hence shooting themselves? They always self justify what they do without thinking!

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

punish buyers should be sellers, see, I am upset

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

@barbsplace66 wrote:

Hi Kevin, I am looking for help with a technical issue for the last three months, I reside in Ontario so I list on .ca, however in the last few months my US buyers cannot purchase more then one item without being asked to pay immediately for each individual item,  my settings in Canada and United States are set up correctly  to offer combine purchases  and  Ebay  has confirmed several times that my setting are correct,   I have called at least 7 times to find out a way to fix this  and from reading the boards & comments you may be the one that can help me.

Hi barbsplace66,

Sorry for the inconvenience on this - it is a known issue & we're hoping to have it fixed as soon as possible. Unfortunately, we're not able to confirm an exact fix time right now.

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@old.crows.nest wrote:

Who is subsidizing that?

This has to do with trading agreements in place between USPS and Canada Post. eBay is not participant in deciding what happens to a USPS package when it reaches the Canadian border, or vice versa.

So, what you are saying is Canada Post is allowing a Service advantage to incoming Mail?

Basically, Canada Post HAS to provide D/C on incoming Mail because it is available through the USPS to Domestic customers and alternately the USPS can refuse the service to Canadians because Canada Post does not offer it to its Domestic Customers?

Who is running Canada Post? An American?

imageelf
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

no replies

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

I just figured out what would be a total hoot!

If PB and the GSP is using First Class Mail to deliver their Parcels Smiley LOL

imageelf
Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@old.crows.nest wrote:
So, what you are saying is Canada Post is allowing a Service advantage to incoming Mail?

Basically, Canada Post HAS to provide D/C on incoming Mail because it is available through the USPS to Domestic customers and alternately the USPS can refuse the service to Canadians because Canada Post does not offer it to its Domestic Customers?

Who is running Canada Post? An American?

This being an eBay forum, I can't answer questions about Canada Post trade agreements with USPS. Once again, eBay isn't a participant in such agreements, and we don't control how mail is handled by the involved carriers when it crosses the border.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply