My items haven't sold so why am I being invoiced yet? I haven't rec'd payment for 2 items that sold!

annd747
Community Member

I don't understand why I am being invoiced when my items have not sold. I am only allowed 10 items listing in a month and only 2 items have sold for a total of $26 Canadian. I haven't even received my money yet as you/PayPal makes me wait 30 days at least to receive it. I thought the fees were deducted from the monies the items sell for when they are sold. I assumed that is what I was being charged. How would I know how much my buyer paid for an item when the monies are transferred to Canadian funds? There is nowhere that says he offered $30 but with dollar difference it would only be $26 for example. I got a best an offer or buy right away price of $26.44 from my buyer but how would I know what he actually offered and that fees were not included? I thought he was paying $30 and the difference was the fees. I have't even received my funds from PayPal yet and there isn't enough money in my bank account for them to withdraw the funds. I thought I read through the rules of EBay but so many suprises popped up when listing and now without selling. 

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

My items haven't sold so why am I being invoiced yet? I haven't rec'd payment for 2 items that sold!

2 items have sold for a total of $26 Canadian.

There are listing fees (30 cents and item or less , usually)

Selling fees of around 9% of selling price (depending on category)

Fees on your shipping charges (also around 9% of the fee)

Separately and immediately on receipt you are charged by Paypal for the use of their service. Minimum of 30 cents and/or 9% of the total payment.

Allow about 20% of the payment you receive (eventually) from your customer for your various fees.

I haven't even received my money yet as you/PayPal makes me wait 30 days at least to receive it.

Actually 21 days from the time the customer's payment is cleared. If he pays from his bank account rather than a credit card, this can add up to 10 days to the clearance.

This is a Buyer Protection policy meant to protect customers against 'take the money and run' scammers.

You can use the Held funds to buy PP shipping labels at a 5% to 18% discount off PO counter prices, which is a small benefit.

You cannot buy labels until the customer's payment clears, which is a little protection for you agains bad 'e-cheques'.

How would I know how much my buyer paid for an item when the monies are transferred to Canadian funds? 

If you list in CDN funds, and I understand that new sellers are being defaulted to the shorter Sell Your Item form that only allows CDN dollar listings, your customers will see your prices in both their own currency and in CDN.

Pick a US seller, and  check her listings on eBayCanada. See how both currencies appear?

Now look at one of your own listings on eBaydotCOM. See how both currencies appear? 

Here's the part that many find hard to understand.

When you buy currency it will cost you more than when you sell the same amount back to the bank.

And.

Foreign exchange rates vary widely from institution on to institution. And from hour to hour.

Treat the foreign currency as an approximation. Keep your books in one currency.

There is nowhere that says he offered $30 but with dollar difference it would only be $26 for example.

Oh for heaven's sakes!

It's been in every newspaper and newscast for months.

The bottom dropped out of oil and the Harper Government had been heavily invested in oil.

Keystone Pipeline ring any bells?

It is not the fault of eBay that you don't know what is going on in the Canadian or world economy.

That is something grownups do.

There is nowhere that says he offered $30 but with dollar difference it would only be $26 for example. I got a best an offer or buy right away price of $26.44 from my buyer but how would I know what he actually offered and that fees were not included? I thought he was paying $30 and the difference was the fees.

I can't even parse that sentence.

Is it hypothetical or based on an actual transaction?

The amount your buyer pays will be on your Sold list. Both the price and the shipping will appear there. The currency will be noted. In your case since you sell in CDN dollars, it will be recorded in CDN dollars. Your buyer may be paying in Euros or yen or remibi or US dollars, but you will still see it in CDN.

If you are not sure what currency the offer is made in, ask your customer. US customers in particular are shockingly unaware that some sellers are not in the States.

Oh, an offer can never include changes to the shipping fee. Never.

When you make a sale the various eBay and PP fees will be taken from the gross.

EBay fees are due once a month. This is from the date you sign up. If you signed up on July 20, your eBay bill comes due on August 20. However, you get a notice about two weeks earlier.

You can pay on receipt or wait and eBay will remove it automatically from your PP account.

PP fees are taken immediately from your customer's payment and you are credited with the remainder. This can be seen on your PP account.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply