New E-bay policy regarding insurance;

It does not look like that e-bay is well versed on Canada post insurance coverage; within Canada the maximum coverage a person can purchase is $5000.00, to ship to the US is $2000.00 with Expedited, Express and priority post only. Overseas is $100.00 only(Canada Post will only honor $60.00 of the $100.00).

Your idea would only work with Buy It Now price with price at maximum coverage or below.

It would not work with Auction Style listing since the seller wont know what kind of price he or she will get, therefore cannot work it in to the shipping price ahead of time.

It will only increase expectation on part of the buyer that the seller wont be able to fulfill due to matters out of there control. It will also create animosity between buyers and sellers.

There are also legal liability question. E-bay would become liable for losses incurred by sellers.

This is a policy that should be dropped right away. It is a lose lose policy.

Angus Coins
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Correction to my post; maximum shipping insurable coverage the US and overseas is $1000.00 (not $2000.00 and $100.00

Angus Coins
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

"It would not work with Auction Style listing since the seller wont know what kind of price he or she will get, therefore cannot work it in to the shipping price ahead of time."

One would expect a knowledgeable seller to have a fairly good idea of the approximate market value and eventual selling price of an item. If the item sells for much more than the expected price, so what? It will cost a few more dollars to earn hundreds more?

Why is eBay removing optional or required shipping insurance when I list or re-list my item?

By removing optional or required shipping insurance, we are adjusting to help meet buyer expectations for ecommerce and aligning with industry standard practices. In most circumstances, buyers do not expect to pay for the cost of shipping insurance. This change also reflects the industry—and eBay—standard practice that sellers are responsible for their items until they are safely in their customers' hands.

As a seller, can I still insure the items I sell on eBay?

Yes, you are still able to insure your items. Check with your shipping carrier for insurance options, or contact a third-party shipping insurance provider for insurance coverage. You can also purchase shipping insurance from your shipping company on eBay when you print your shipping labels directly from eBay or PayPal. To help cover the additional expense, consider folding the cost of insurance into your handling fee or item price.

I sell rare, antique, or one-of-a-kind items that I must insure. How can I insure these items?

There are several ways to insure items you sell. Check with your shipping carrier for insurance options, or contact a third-party shipping insurance provider for insurance coverage. You can also purchase shipping insurance from your shipping company on eBay when you print your shipping labels directly from eBay or PayPal. To help cover the additional expense, consider folding the cost of insurance into your handling fee or item price.

Paying for shipping insurance raises my costs. What can I do?

If appropriate, you can move the cost of shipping insurance into your handling charges or item price.

How do I add my insurance cost to my Auction-style listings?

If you list with Auction-style format, you can choose to add your insurance cost into your handling charges. You'll need to estimate the value of the item, and check with your shipping carrier or third-party insurance provider for approximate cost of coverage. You could also start your item at a slightly higher price to cover the cost of insurance.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

E-bay would become liable for losses incurred by sellers.

Interesting concept, but already covered in User Agreement ... eBay is only liable to the greater of (a) the total fees you paid to us in the 12 months prior to the action giving rise to the liability, and (b) C$150.

within Canada the maximum coverage a person can purchase is $5000.00

Hm, after reading this, I went to Fedex Canada and did a rates and transit times quote and did a fictional parcel from L2G3V6 to L7P1L5, 28x18x10cm, 1kg, value 50,000 CAD. Fedex offered rates with proper insurance for full value.

Does Fedex know they can only sell up to 2,000 CAD ?
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

For a $50,000 sale, I'd deliver it in person and collect cash. -------------------------------------------------------------------

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. Carl Sagan

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

If you list with Auction-style format, you can choose to add your insurance cost into your handling charges.

Does eBay not realize that if you add anything to the actual postage, like packaging or insurance or handling fee, buyers will ding you for DRS's because they think you are overcharging for shipping?
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

They don't in my case and I have a fairly hefty charge ( $4). I just explain what I have to do for that money and it seems reasonable. -------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
I've asked several times Canada Post customer service about the possibility to offer "Expedited Parcel International" (it doesn't exist), to take advantage of an insurance over $100 (Small Packets) for international shipments. Thing is, there is an absurd gap between Canada Post's services for international shipments : Xpresspost International is approximately $50 for a small bubble mailer, while Small Packets is only $8-$9 !!!

I don't give a damn if a small bubble mailer is delivered within 5 business days in Australia for $50 with Xpresspost, it could be Expedited Parcel in 12 business days for half the cost, but with a possibility to insure more than $100...

This lack at Canada Post is giving me headaches all the time, restraining me to sell higher value items (I've experienced frustrating PayPal chargebacks for package of expensive value shipped with the untrackable Small Packets)...

I start selling on eBay in 2006, still waiting for an in-between insurable and trackable shipping service...
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

This lack at Canada Post is giving me headaches all the time, restraining me to sell higher value items

Yep, me too. And Canada Post does not insure jewellery at all so I don't even have protection for small packet.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

acofa
Community Member
Make a picture of your jewellery, put it into a box and insure this picture for CAD100, it is a unique artwork.
Don't sell the picture instead of jewellery 🙂
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

acofa
Community Member
BTW, it is not cheating; all shipping companies (CanadaPost, UPS, Purolator, etc.) INCLUDE $100 insurance (it is around $1-1.50 premium) in their shipping rate, but they DON'T REFUND this premium if you ship uninsurable item.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Make a picture of your jewellery, put it into a box and insure this picture for CAD100

See CanadaPost Terms and Conditions for particular service, section "Making a Claim". Subsection c) (The Customer must provide ...):

proof of value such as a copy of invoice or other information acceptable to Canada Post showing proof
of the sender's cost, repair cost, depreciated value, replacement value or any of the Items being claimed,
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

So, explain it to the customer and add it to their invoice afterwards. -------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

purse,

i agree - Canada Post shipping is out of sight - until I changed carriers, it essentially eliminated my products from International sales.

If you're close to the border, it might be worth it to ship USPS - they DO have much more reasonable rates and you can get delivery confirmation on everything, including First Class Mail.

You can buy insurance through separate organizations down there ( like auctiva) -------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 14 of 14
latest reply