New compulsory "Import Fees" from USA to Canada

Member since 2010 (632 100% feedback). I have been experiencing the new compulsory "import fees" policy on items from USA. Surprising! I am disappointed with this policy. It is a negative one on many levels notwithstanding for USA and eBay revenues, as many like myself will now be sure to be motivated to resource items outside of USA, and outside of eBay.

Also disappointing is a story I was told that USPS recently (January 28, 2013) redefined Canada from being an 'intermediary' to an 'international' country, and therefore shipping fees from the USA to Canada have risen 80%!

Must be people in rooms in the USA racking their brains on how to support the USA economy versus just printing money.

Message 1 of 485
latest reply
484 REPLIES 484

Re: New compulsory "Import Fees" from USA to Canada

do you thimk ebay even cares NO!!

Message 381 of 485
latest reply

You think that just because a corporation is internationally "recognized", it couldn't be doing something untoward? Wow.

I have more than once had a Seller try to charge me taxes on their shipping cost. As in when calculating the applicable taxes, it has been done based upon the full total, not just the cost of the item.

I only said I have never been charged the $9.95 fee only the $5.00 one (even now) - which if you check Canada Customs website, you'll is still listed.

Message 382 of 485
latest reply

Your last purchase was Nov-02-11 08:05.  Do you really have any experience dealing with what everyone here is talking about?  Hard to give you comment credibility.

Message 383 of 485
latest reply

@karbonb wrote:

I have more than once had a Seller try to charge me taxes on their shipping cost. As in when calculating the applicable taxes, it has been done based upon the full total, not just the cost of the item.

I only said I have never been charged the $9.95 fee only the $5.00 one (even now) - which if you check Canada Customs website, you'll is still listed.

This is a link to a page where the $9.95 fee is referenced.  Perhaps you could show us the page where the $5.00 fee is referenced.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

As far as a seller charing you taxes on their shipping cost, what does an individual seller's actions have to do with the Global Shipping Program or Pitney Bowes' operations?

Message 384 of 485
latest reply

"I have more than once had a Seller try to charge me taxes on their shipping cost."

???

Canadian laws clearly state that the "shipping and handling charge" charged by seller is taxable, if the products are taxable.

"which if you check Canada Customs website"

The official government website clearly states $9.95 (it has not been $5.00 for many many years)

You check it out: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

"To process goods imported as mail that are subject to duty and/or tax, Canada Post charges the recipient CAN$9.95. "

Message 385 of 485
latest reply

1) No... I'm sorry, but it is you who are incorrect. They are indeed still charging import fees for many auctions that are worth $20 and less. Just because you yourself aren't seeing them doesn't mean it isn't happening. I am seeing them quite regularly.

Please provide an item number or numbers for listingd that are charging import fees for a product less than $20. If those exist then they should be brought to the attention of an ebay rep.

The exception would be an auction that also has a buy it now price. In that case, the fees showing are based on the BIN price but the actual fees charged will be based on the price paid at the end of the auction.

By the way, do you work for Pitney Bowes, or eBay or such? It seems you spend a lot of time defending this program.

LOL No, I don't and I'm not defending the program at all. I don't agree with the way the program was implemented and the lack of accountability and like anyone else, I hate to pay more in taxes. But...when people make posts that are not based on facts or that have incorrect information, I try to explain the facts so that the incorrect information isn't passed on to others.

Message 386 of 485
latest reply

"I'm not defending the program at all. I don't agree with the way the program was implemented and the lack of accountability and like anyone else, I hate to pay more in taxes. But...when people make posts that are not based on facts or that have incorrect information, I try to explain the facts so that the incorrect information isn't passed on to others."

Can I copy that paragraph, please.  I could use it daily. Smiley Happy

Message 387 of 485
latest reply

Can I copy that paragraph, please.  I could use it daily

Of course  🙂

There have been a few things that you've written on the boards that I 'borrow' regularly. The payment reminder letter that you send to buyers comes to mind.

Message 388 of 485
latest reply

@karbonb wrote:

You think that just because a corporation is internationally "recognized", it couldn't be doing something untoward? Wow.

Right, the LIBOR fiasco and various international companies, big banks and others,  that have paid the fines for wrongdoing come to mind. 

Message 389 of 485
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

1) No... I'm sorry, but it is you who are incorrect. They are indeed still charging import fees for many auctions that are worth $20 and less. Just because you yourself aren't seeing them doesn't mean it isn't happening. I am seeing them quite regularly.

Please provide an item number or numbers for listingd that are charging import fees for a product less than $20. If those exist then they should be brought to the attention of an ebay rep. 

The import charges on non taxable items look to be included in the shipping charges till the item reaches taxable status. Then at taxable status the shipping cost is lowered and the import charge is moved back and included as "import charges", since at least July. Maybe the examples below will help.

IMPORT CHARGES and shipping costs changing at C20.JPG

IMPORT CHARGES and shipping costs change at C20.JPG com.JPGIMPORT CHARGES and shipping costs change at C20. ca.JPG

Message 390 of 485
latest reply

marnotom!

It's hard to give your comments credibility.  Looking at your hundreds of comments on this forum, you are very defensive of and complimentary towards ebay policy.  A feedback of 1???  Hard to not think you work for ebay.

Whatever is said, it doesn't matter to me.  I've had hundreds of transaction from USA and never been charged duty on items under $200 and so refuse to be a buyer in this global shipping program.  I have stopped buying from USA and I am happy again.

Message 391 of 485
latest reply

The import charges on non taxable items look to be included in the shipping charges till the item reaches taxable status. Then at taxable status the shipping cost is lowered and the import charge is moved back and included as "import charges", since at least July.

I'm aware of that but my impression was that the poster meant there are still import fees being shown separately on items under $20. But regardless of where that charge is shown, I think that it is more of a handling fee than an import charge as it is applicable whether or not  the item is taxable. They are still handling and forwarding the item even if it isn't taxed. of course ideally, the packages would not be going to PB at all so there would be no extra fees. At least there would be no extra fees unless customs did decide to tax that particular package.

Message 392 of 485
latest reply

eom

Message 393 of 485
latest reply

@alphabet.soup.1971 wrote:

Your last purchase was Nov-02-11 08:05.  Do you really have any experience dealing with what everyone here is talking about?  Hard to give you comment credibility.

I haven't bought anything on this ID since 2011 as I normally use my buying ID for ebay purchases. I buy from many different U.S. sites as well but it is totally up to you whether or not you find my comments credible. If you have a problem with something I've said, feel free to comment about that specific post.  I have no reason to lie. Like anyone else I make mistakes, but I have never purposely given out the wrong informatoin.

Message 394 of 485
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The exception would be an auction that also has a buy it now price. In that case, the fees showing are based on the BIN price but the actual fees charged will be based on the price paid at the end of the auction.

It's impossible for me to figure how Pitney Bowes calculates their hidden import charges on BIN items, but then like you say that can all change at checkout.

Without itemized charges we can't be sure if some of the charges are even correct. Kind of a carp shoot. Smiley Happy

Blue Shirt .ca GSP.PNGAPPLE com GSP Sept 1.JPG 

Message 395 of 485
latest reply

@alphabet.soup.1971 wrote:

marnotom!

It's hard to give your comments credibility.  Looking at your hundreds of comments on this forum, you are very defensive of and complimentary towards ebay policy.  A feedback of 1???  Hard to not think you work for ebay.

Whatever is said, it doesn't matter to me.  I've had hundreds of transaction from USA and never been charged duty on items under $200 and so refuse to be a buyer in this global shipping program.  I have stopped buying from USA and I am happy again.

It's hard to give your comments credibility as well because while I know you're responding to me, I have no idea what comments of mine you have issues with and why.

Unfortunately, people who trot out the feedback and "you must work for eBay" cards also tend to discredit what arguments they may have.

Message 396 of 485
latest reply

@chimera148 wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It's impossible for me to figure how Pitney Bowes calculates their hidden import charges on BIN items, but then like you say that can all change at checkout.

Without itemized charges we can't be sure if some of the charges are even correct. Kind of a carp shoot.Smiley Happy

And we get even another set of different import charges on the same previously mentioned 70.00 and 399.00 BIN items.

Blue Shirt .com GSP.JPG

APPLE ca GSP Sept 1.JPG

Message 397 of 485
latest reply

Without itemized charges we can't be sure if some of the charges are even correct. Kind of a carp shoot.:smileyhappy:

I agree, those charges should be iteminizes.

It seems that for most items over $20, gst/hst is charged plus another $3-$4 service charge. Bu just when it seems that is always the case...I find a few listings that do not fit that theory. I don't think that the gsp is ever going to be "liked' by most Canadians, but if there was more transparency with the charges, it might seem a little more legit ....Maybe...Maybe not. 🙂

And we get even another set of different import charges on the same previously mentioned 70.00 and 399.00 BIN items.

You've listed a few of those examples on the .ca and .com boards. I found some of them and gave the links and info to one of the ebay reps who said they will look into it. But then they still haven't fixed the difference in the shipping amount on the search page compared to the price on the actual listing. (for gsp listings under $20)

Actually, I think I found a couple of other glitches but It's too late and I'm too tired to figure out if I'm right.

Message 398 of 485
latest reply

but It's too late and I'm too tired to figure out if I'm right.

So we can safely assume you were wrong before you went to bed. Smiley Happy

Gotcha for the previous thread. Smiley Happy

Message 399 of 485
latest reply

Ok ok...we're even now 🙂

Message 400 of 485
latest reply