Paypal filed in seller's favor too quick, what is my recourse?

I have bought a laptop off of eBay for $400.00 CAD and paid with my Visa through PayPal. The laptop in the description was described as "Mint Condition", however, the laptop I received had evidence of physical damage from a drop, serial number missing on outside, and a locked BIOS password in settings. I contacted the seller, to which he blamed the shipping company for the physical damage, yet the box and inside of it was flawless, and packaging was sufficient. So I filed a dispute after he refused to give a refund, and he was about to agree, until he decided to escalate MY case to a claim. Not even 20 minutes later, the seller wins the case in his favor (PayPal's decision), as I was about to post pictures of the damage. PayPal's excuse was that the item is "Used" so it was well described even though it has evidence of abuse and neglect. I left the seller negative feedback, and he tells me that now he's not going to help me at all because of that, even though he never was going to, and that he's going to talk to eBay about getting that feedback removed.

All that chaos happened between 1:30 pm and 4:30 pm EST time today. From the start of the emails to the end of thePayPal case.

My question is, what other recourse do I have? I was thinking about filing a chargeback with my Visa (through TD Canada Trust), however, I'm not sure how that would turn out, even if I provided them evidence? I feel like I was ripped off by the seller, AND PayPal, since the case blew over so quick. I filed the dispute, went to do some errands, and I came back to find out it was closed less than 2 hours later. If I had to ship back the item to get a chargeback, I would do so, but I'm not sure how the process works. Has anyone been in my shoes?

eBay item: 191372748898

I do have pictures of damage if needed.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You should have been given the opportunity to return the item for refund, I'm guessing you refused to pay for return shipping? 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Appeal the case. The 20min decision is automated by machine, the appeals are handled by humans.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I was thinking about filing a chargeback with my Visa (through TD Canada Trust), however, I'm not sure how that would turn out, even if I provided them evidence? 

File the chargeback.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Call your credit card company. My husband got ripped off on a $700 Nintendo game a few months ago & that's what he had to do because PayPal was saying they would get back to him in 30 days which I knew was too long & then they said they weren't sure if they would accept the tracking info on the return. It's a hassel but despite what everyone thinks PayPal doesn't actually protect buyers
Message 5 of 5
latest reply