Paypal vs. Interact

73rhc
Community Member
I recently saw a listing where the seller was on a rant against Paypal. So much so that, if you bought the item and paid by Paypal the shipping charge is $22. If you paid by interact tranfer, $5 for the same service.

Right or wrong?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Paypal vs. Interact

Possibly okay to do, eBay wise. Morally? Wrong. Procedurally? Wrong. Good business sense? Wrong. Customer friendly? Wrong.

People like that are being weeded out. They have a poor attitude. eBay wants all sellers on the same page. What these people, they are not sellers just people, do not realize is that the average buyer buys from eBay. They do not really consider the individual seller. eBay is working very hard towards every seller having the same terms, same look, same policies, etc.

Sorta like eBay sending out a tender with all the specs for supply in it. While this person is running their business the way they see fit, it is not the way eBay will see fit as it does go against the universal buyer "experience" they are working towards.

There are a lot of these people still clinging to the old ways of "I can do what ever I want". We, no ya can't. Either get in step with eBay or start your own web site.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

Interact Money Transfer is not an accepted payment method on eBay

You can report them for offering it in their listing

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

I tend to agree. However, where I agree with this seller is the poor exchange rate that Paypal pays.

I once sent someone Canadian funds through Paypal they (Paypal) converted it to US and when the person tried to withdraw the funds in Canadian, they were hit with the poor exchange rate. Took hours on the phone to correct.
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

@73rhc wrote:
I tend to agree. However, where I agree with this seller is the poor exchange rate that Paypal pays.

I once sent someone Canadian funds through Paypal they (Paypal) converted it to US and when the person tried to withdraw the funds in Canadian, they were hit with the poor exchange rate. Took hours on the phone to correct.

Sending money between individuals is different - interac is probably not a bad option.  But here on eBay, as Mr. E says, one size fits all and that size is Paypal. 

In any transaction through, or connected with, eBay using Paypal, I always factor in the exchange rate.  I also keep a $US and $Cdn balance on my Paypal account in case I need to avoid exchange costs.  I haven't yet had to send any non-eBay buyer money through Paypal that wasn't a refund, but if I did I'd use the appropriate currency account.  With refunds to purchasers, at least Paypal takes the fees you've paid to them as a seller into the equation so that you're not paying fees on refunded money -- and I agree with Mr. E (yet again!) that Paypal's fees are quite reasonable.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

There is the exchange rate which is a published figure. Just like any bank, credit union, money changer, they apply a "fee" when changing money. Their fee is in line with everyone else. Their fee is far cheaper than airport kiosks, hotel rates, retail store rates, etc.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

Maybe so. But I don't like getting hit with two fees for one transaction.
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

Cost of doing business. I have never, do not, will never, look at each individual transaction and/or line itemize.
Photobucket
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

Of course, cost of doing business, no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I am not going to get my panties in a knot over a few nickels.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

"Right or wrong?"

Wrong.

First, it is clearly against eBay's payment policy to offer email money transfer through Interac

Second, foreign exchange has nothing to do with it.  If the seller is willing to accept Interac email money transfers, they are in Cdn$.  Payment through PayPal could also be made in Cdn$.  The exchange conversion fee does not come into account

Third, while the seller avoids PayPal fees ($0.30 plus 2.9%), the Interac email transfer payment fee is payable by the buyer (some bank plans allow a few free transfer monthly).

Fourth, and that is the most important, the buyer has no protection whatsoever when using Interac email money transfer.  None.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

@bb_cool_stuff wrote:

Of course, cost of doing business, no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I am not going to get my panties in a knot over a few nickels.

What does cause knotted knickers and what is the prescribed cure?

Photobucket
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

Simple, don't buy your underwear on sale at Giant Tiger.Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

That's your prerogative. I, on the other hand, do not like giving MY money away. Even if only a few nickels! If you do, I will send my address. You can even pay the postage. Great business advise and savy.
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

customers want the freedom to chose how they pay

interac security is far superior than pp

at the end it doesn't matter, ultimately it is customer choice

pp only would be an absolute disservice to my customers

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

Fourth, and that is the most important, the buyer has no protection whatsoever when using Interac email money transfer.  None.

That is you are 100% wrong

The sender has recourse with the canadian banking system, law enforcement, Canadian anti-fraud centre and many other agencies.

Naughty  Naughty Naughty  joda

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

@73rhc wrote:
I recently saw a listing where the seller was on a rant against Paypal. So much so that, if you bought the item and paid by Paypal the shipping charge is $22. If you paid by interact tranfer, $5 for the same service.

Right or wrong?

Very wrong.....

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/listing-surcharges.html

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

That is your prerogative also. Whatever works for you.

With the few nickels I am losing I make it up in dollars.

Still far ahead even when I add up all the nickels.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

The Canadian banking system does not protect senders of Interac email money transfers.  The system is secure so that the money will get to the seller but that is it.  To learn more about Interac email money transfers, please take a look at:

http://www.interac.ca/index.php/en/interac-etransfer/etransfer-faq

Of course as a seller I love the system - no fees - no risks of chargeback - and many of my regular customers use it.  However, let's all keep in mind that the service does not protect the buyer.

The system is similar to sending money through Western Union.  Once the money reaches the recipient (seller), there is no way to get it back.  eBay will NOT protect you. 

Good luck calling the police if you have a problem with the seller.  They will tell you: it is a civil case (a business transaction), get a lawyer to handle the problem.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

"The Canadian banking system does not protect senders of Interac email money transfers.  The system is secure so that the money will get to the seller but that is it.  To learn more about Interac email money transfers,.

Of course as a seller I love the system - no fees - no risks of chargeback - and many of my regular customers use it.  However, let's all keep in mind that the service does not protect the buyer."

law enforcement is just a start, there are many many other governmental and civil agencies to protect you. this site doesn't even come close to the level of protection you are getting in real life.

Therefore, you have maximum protection.

keep the fantasy away

real life only

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Paypal vs. Interact

Myself and other sellers got interac payment a few years ago.  Buyer told his bank it wasn't authorized, buyers bank told our banks there was suspected fraud...and our entire bank accounts were frozen by our banks until we talked to them.   They aren't going to mediate a snad, but someone would have trouble getting away with a big scam.  Ive used it lots on other venue to pay and receive with strangers, doesn't concern me at all.  Just this week had an ebay buyer send cash int eh mail for multiple items, first time in years

Most probably didn't notice paypal recently upped their exchange rate premium to 2.75% when the funds come from anywhere except already in paypal.  Which I believe is higher then any credit card in canada

still see quite a few listings mentioning interac (and money orders).  Ebay could find them easily enough if they wanted to

Message 20 of 22
latest reply