Refund and order cancellation won't go through.

A buyer had changed his mind and returned an item to me. I received a return on Dec 31 and I refunded the buyer right away. After I refunded the buyer, I canceled the order on ebay. I chose the buyer asked to cancel the order. The cancel transaction had a status of "pending" until buyer confirms he had received the refund. I contacted the buyer and he said yes and the mutual cancellation.

Today, I receive a message that the order can't be cancelled and "We couldn't cancel this order because you didn't send a refund to the buyer. Please contact the buyer." In paypal, it still says refund - pending and add funds from a bank account - uncleared. when I click on uncleared it says transferring money can take 6-8 days. I thought it was automatic.

Any advice would be appreciated. Just want to make sure the buyer gets his money back.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

When you don't have sufficient funds in your PayPal account to cover the refund, it is taken from your bank account.  This does take several business days, just as an e-check does.  I always leave some money in my PP account to cover these situations.

The buyer will get the refund but you should let him know the reason for the delay.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the info. I thought I had set up my credit card as a backup for fees and refunds to be taken if I didn't have any funds in my paypal account.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Will the original order cancellation be complete or do I have to put in another cancellation?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The one time I didn't have funds to cover, I thought the same as you ... that it would be taken from my credit card.  However, you have to specify that.  I don't recall what the screen looks like during this process, but it's similar to when you make a purchase.  You can request that it comes from your bank account or your credit card.

You don't have to file another mutual cancellation.  But do confirm that your fees have been credited to your account when the refund is complete.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Many thanks for your help. Very much appreciated.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply