Refund in paypal pending

loml888
Community Member

I had issued my buyer a refund through paypal on Dec. 16/17, and since there was not enough funds in my paypal account, it had to come from my bank account. My bank shows that it came out of my account on Dec. 20/17. However in my paypal account it is still pending, and my buyer is getting impatient. I called paypal and they said it is uncleared, and to contact my bank. Has this happened to anyone before? I know this is during the holidays, but it should have been deposited to my paypal account and credited to my buyer at the end of December. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Refund in paypal pending

This is an ongoing problem when Paypal accounts are backed by bank accounts rather than credit cards or PP balances.

Your money is in transit, but it has to clear the Canadian and the American banking systems. If your customer is not in the USA, it has to clear their banking system too (which might be Canadian again).

December 20 to January 5, means that in addition to two weekends we had Bank Holidays on Christmas, New Year's Day and Boxing Day. 

Ten business days, in other words. Which is actually pretty normal for these transactions.

Apologize to the customer, and schmooze him as best you can. He'll probably see his refund on Monday the 8th.

He won't be thrilled. Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Refund in paypal pending

I very rarely have to issue refunds but, like you, the last one came from my bank account at least partially because I had used most of my paypal account balance for something else. Even after the money had been withdrawn from my bank account, it still took another three business days (maybe four) to show up at paypal. It's a bit ridiculous. Like femmefan says, apologize and reassure. It's a banking/paypal communication issue.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Refund in paypal pending

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. I called the bank and they did confirm that the money was sent to paypal. They suggested to send a copy of my bank statement to them. I am on hold with paypal waiting for a Supervisor. As the agent told me first that there were insufficient funds in my bank account, and now they say the buyer did not accept the refund, and that is why it is pending. This is so frustrating, but I am very thankful for this community. 

Thanks again,

Nancy

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Refund in paypal pending

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your comments and help.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply