Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

(But don't use the eBay.com USPS or ups options unless your item is located in the USA. If it ships from Canada, you must choose the generic international shipping from outside USA.)
Message 641 of 1,448
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@tch_ca wrote:
Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows in reply to maritimemedals ‎03-22-2016 09:43 PM maritimemedals wrote: I have been selling on ebay.ca for the last few years, the items that I sell are valued on the open market in US dollars only hence if I am forced to list in Canadian dollars a considerable percentage of my market has disappeared, it is forcing me to reconsider my business strategy. Why change something that works, it is very inconsiderate and stupid, it will cost me money and in return ebay money through lost sales I understand your perspective. It's why I for one was almost certain our study would show that Canadians listing in USD would be more successful. In fact I was one of the people who pushed back and insisted on recounts and additional analyses before I had to admit that what we were seeing really was an advantage for CAD. So then you look at the buyer experience wondering how this can be. It's from the evolution of ecommerce and our marketplace, eBay's global marketplace platform makes it seamless to buy items listed in foreign currencies. Buyers don't need to figure out how much to pay in their own currency because they see the amount in their own currency, ------------------------------- Rodney, you sound like a broken record. The ONLY people that would possibly be in favor of this are Canadian buyers It's obvious why they would want to force Canadian sellers to list in CDN. I can't see ANY seller being in favor of this. What what be their argument????? You're really not making anything better so stop claiming so. You are REMOVING an option that is easy to manage for many sellers. Here are clear issues with this decision for sellers who currently chose to list in dual currencies (And there are MANY). Here are some issues you will run into having to manage one or both of the sites. All of these are operationally SIGNIFICANT in my opinion. If you chose to only sell in Ebay.ca 1. You will only receive CDN currency. If you also buy on Ebay, you will likely have to convert back to USD since many Canadians buy in in US. 2. You will no longer be able to manage timing as to when and if you want to exchange currency. 3. The price of your item will constantly change in the eyes of a US buyer due to fluctuating exchange. 4. If you purchase goods in USD your margin will change with the fluctuating dollar and possibly force you to adjust pricing.. If you chose to only sell on Ebay.com 1. You will not be able to use "Print Shipping Label" tool from the Ebay.com seller manager interface as it does not support CPC. You will likely have to to go directly to PayPal, find your transaction and print that way. 2. You will loose some Canadian buyers as they won't want to convert. 3. Your shipping cost will vary for Canadian buyers with exchange and offering free shipping will eat into your margins. If you use both sites to manage your inventory 1. As far as I can tell, you will have to contend with two separate ebay store interfaces and tools. 2. You'll constantly be burdened with listing links bumping you to the wrong site. Questions, arise. Will the USD listings be only visible on the com site and CDN on the ca site using Selling Manager Pro?. How will Turbo Lister be impacted?

I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record. A lot of people are asking the same questions, and I'm giving the same answers because, well, those are the true answers. 🙂

But let me help with some of those issues:

1. You will only receive CDN currency. If you also buy on Ebay, you will likely have to convert back to USD since many Canadians buy in in US.
TRUE

2. You will no longer be able to manage timing as to when and if you want to exchange currency.

Or you won't need to, because you are now operating in your own currency instead of taking currency risk on as part of your business.

3. The price of your item will constantly change in the eyes of a US buyer due to fluctuating exchange.

True. And that's a good thing. Your item will tick down in response to FX drops immediately, without requiring revisions. US buyers don't care if your prices change, they just care if your price is a price they want to pay.

4. If you purchase goods in USD your margin will change with the fluctuating dollar and possibly force you to adjust pricing..

True. If you purchase goods in USD you should list in USD, for the same reason we think sellers who acquire inventory in CAD should list in CAD.

List on .com

1. You will not be able to use "Print Shipping Label" tool from the Ebay.com seller manager interface as it does not support CPC. You will likely have to to go directly to PayPal, find your transaction and print that way.
You can also print from my eBay or from the order details page.

2. You will loose some Canadian buyers as they won't want to convert.

True. Converting is no big deal for Canadians, but ship time and border fees are, so they like to see Canadian items. If you miss out on a few Canadian buyers by listing in USD, that would be why.

3. Your shipping cost will vary for Canadian buyers with exchange and offering free shipping will eat into your margins.

True.

If you use both sites to manage your inventory

1. As far as I can tell, you will have to contend with two separate ebay store interfaces and tools.

Actually, subscribe on either site and you can list on both sites. Your store works for buyers on both sites and shows whichever inventory ships to that site.

2. You'll constantly be burdened with listing links bumping you to the wrong site.

FAIR.

USD listings be only visible on the com site and CDN on the ca site using Selling Manager Pro?

I think that is correct. Certainly, you always need to revise and manage listiings on the site they were created, across all eBay interfaces.

3. How will Turbo Lister be impacted?

If you list USD listings to the eBay,ca site with TL on or after June 1st, you'll get an error and the listing will be rejected when you try to submit it.

Rodney, you're saying that SMP works different than SM?

The free version does show all listings/info on and from both sites.

SM Pro is the same as basic SM but with inventory features. I used SM Pro on eBay.ca for a couple of years and had SM basic free version on ebay.com. The two work together fine just like having SM basic free on both sites. I listed exclusively on ebay.ca so I do not know if I could have use SM Pro inventory with ebay.com listings.

The issue is the SM Pro inventory part that allows having products with cost tracking and listing templates for the products. Does a seller have to have SM Pro on both site to access the inventory features? If so, SM Pro cost $15.99 Can $ a month on eBay.ca and $15.99 US$ on ebay.com. Expensive tool if needed on both sites to use the inventory.

If a seller has an ebay Premium or Anchor level store, SM Pro is free. This is how most users get SM Pro, most would not pay for the tool. But SM Pro is free on the site where the ebay store is. Does a seller need to pay again on the other site to use SM Pro?

Last, if a seller has SM Pro on one site, the listings are for that site. If they want to move the item to the other site, how to migrate all the products and templates to a new product and templates on the other site.

Message 642 of 1,448
latest reply

hi me and you have the same amount of stuff up on ebay  for sale you sell canadian i sell american , your feedback score for 6 months 123 feedbacks mine for 6 months 264 , i think selling american would be better for you 

Message 643 of 1,448
latest reply

PLEASE LET US SELL IN USD, WE WANT TO!!!

Message 644 of 1,448
latest reply

Hi, just a question..

To make everyone happy, why not just let those who want to sell in CDN$ use Canadian Dollars

and those who want to sell in USD, use American dollars

And continue to support both on Ebay.ca?  Was it not working?

Why change, if we like it?  Does it cost that much more?  That's a good compromise I'd say!

I know, sites around the world are solo currency, but hey let be unique, and do what works?

Give choice, why not?  I love EBay, and I want to keep doing what im doing, cause I have had success in doing so.

Keep the model that works, I am happy with how things are now!  They do buy from me, so, why change?

Message 645 of 1,448
latest reply

I'm one of the powersellers who will be leaving the wonderful world of ebay (dot whatever) when this update goes live for the reasons I mentionned earkier which you clearly didn't think about when you decided on these changes. However, this is a business decision instead of the emotional ones we see around the thread, so it needs to be PLANNED carefully and you didn't answer my question the last time around (which, I'll admit, was inside  a wall of text explaining to you why to some sellers there is no "solutions" to this situation... the wall of text got a few kudos, but I doubt it was from ebay employee so you may have skipped a few parts) : What is the absolute deadline to all of this? We can still list in $ us and benefit from the tools of .ca until whe  exactly? And when will you actually step in and kill our GTC listings on.ca that will not fit your new absolutely perfect vision of ebay.ca? Thanks in advance so those of us who clearly intend to end our business relatiinship with you as a "venue"  can plan our business decision accordingly.

Message 646 of 1,448
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@eyeball123 wrote:

The link tool is not working and the instructions given do NOT work.

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/list-in-cad/migration-tool-usd-listings.html

... The current version is just a lookup tool. As it points out on the page you cited, the tool is coming in May.

I'd suggest dividing that page into 2 clearly marked sections: currently available and coming soon

Less confusion that way.

Message 647 of 1,448
latest reply

@lolly72012 wrote:

hi me and you have the same amount of stuff up on ebay  for sale you sell canadian i sell american , your feedback score for 6 months 123 feedbacks mine for 6 months 264 , i think selling american would be better for you 

This would only make sense if both parties had the same priced items in a similar category.  Someone could have 100 transactions making $2.50 per sale, and someone could have 2 making $125 per sale.

Message 648 of 1,448
latest reply

@fabulous-marty wrote:

And when will you actually step in and kill our GTC listings on.ca that will not fit your new absolutely perfect vision of ebay.ca? Thanks in advance so those of us who clearly intend to end our business relatiinship with you as a "venue"  can plan our business decision accordingly.

Every date is in big blue boxes on the link they emailed and messaged to everyone?

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/list-in-cad/index.html

Message 649 of 1,448
latest reply

<blockquote><hr />retro_thrift wrote:<br />
<blockquote><hr />lolly72012 wrote:<br />
<p>hi me and you have the same amount of stuff up on ebay &nbsp;for sale you sell canadian i sell american , your feedback score for 6 months 123 feedbacks mine for 6 months 264 , i think selling american would be better for you&nbsp;</p>
<hr /></blockquote>
<p>This would only make sense if both parties had the same priced items in a similar category.&nbsp; Someone could have 100 transactions making $2.50 per sale, and someone could have 2 making $125 per sale.</p>
<hr /></blockquote>
<p>Very true. Also you'd want to analyze the feedback to ensure it was actually Feedback as a Seller. I find Feedback Left For Others is a good way to analyze how much business a member does. Most buyers occasionally leave feedback for sellers but smart sellers always leave feedback for buyers. And the feedback score, replies and comments themselves are always insightful. When I buy using my other ID, I do look carefully at the other party's feedback. I realize it's no longer relevant to defects but I still like to know what to expect in a trading partner.&nbsp;</p>
Message 650 of 1,448
latest reply

So, here's what has happened so far. I have sold one item daily or more for over a year. Since this Canadian Conversion announcement Mar 22. I have had ZERO sales. Nothing. I believe people are waiting for the Canadian listings to get the currency advantage. I could bump prices 25% but I believe my repeat customers could find this offensive. What is your conversion Tool for This?

Message 651 of 1,448
latest reply

I am looking to switch to dot COM, I use Turbo Lister for my 3000 items. I would like to know once my listings are converted from .ca to .com using selling manger as is the method that is to be used, will I be able to "sync" to my Turbo Lister and down load the "new converted" listing into my Turbo Lister so I don't have to manually re-do each and everyone over again?

Message 652 of 1,448
latest reply

"I believe people are waiting for the Canadian listings to get the currency advantage."

This is the most interesting conspiracy theory I have seen so far.  Smiley Happy

Let's face it.  You had six auction listings ended on Friday and Saturday without a bid. Earlier in the week, 2 auction listings sold on Monday and none on Sunday with 22 unsold auction listings.  Since the announcement was made this week, it is hard to believe that those 22 unsold auction listings last Sunday had anything to do with the currency exchange.  They did not sell because buyers did not want to bid on them.

The real question implied in your post is:

With the change, why would buyers expect to pay less?

If you continue to list on eBay.ca and change your listings to Cdn$, I expect you will - like all sellers - adjust your price to reflect the current currency conversion.  So an item offered at US$10 will be listed at Cdn$ 13 resulting in the same price paid by the buyer and received by you the seller.

Message 653 of 1,448
latest reply

Yet another WRONG decision by E-bay. I have been selling on E-bay since 1999 and have tried E-bay.ca for a while with little to no positive results. As many sellers here, the US market is what decides my business even though I am located in Canada. Once this decision takes over June 1st, I will discontinue my E-bay.ca listings and those that are too expensive to ship on E-bay.com due to the shipping caps on Media, will simply not be "migrated".

That this will benefit Canadian E-bay sellers is a ridiculous fantasy that will be revealed once the metrics are in after the termination has taken effect and the numbers start to role in. There will be no way to spin this fiasco then!

It would be a waste of time for anyone to continue to rant on this forum since the service reps here have no power of authority to change anything that has already been decided. Look to the future and decide whether to list in CDN funds on E-bay.ca and probably lose even more sales or migrate to E-bay.com and deal with shipping problems. E-bay has not given us any other choice despite their reassurances that their research shows we will benefit from doing what they sincerely believe to be true...

Message 654 of 1,448
latest reply

I don't care about the date of the migration tool, I don't "really" care about when I'll be unable to list in USD from eBay.ca as the point is to get out, not root more in (so the planned listings of April will be the last ones I put here anyway, I should be safe) ... What we definitely need to know is WHEN the listings are gonna be suspended and cancelled by them so the perfect vision of eBay.ca they have is gonna be implemented and there's nothing more to do for us here (the sellers who needs the USD listings as they deal in collectibles while still being able to list from Canada for the tools) ... and that, my friend is not in a big blue box... unless "oh let's say .. August?" is a valid answer ... WHEN IN AUGUST? ... August 1st, August 31st? So the question is WHEN ... not AROUND WHEN.

I'd still like to get an answer from the "officials" on when our business relationship will have to end.

Edit to removed the pompoms comment, I was a bit harsh, maybe you were just trying to help.

Message 655 of 1,448
latest reply

The answer to your question can be found in the announcement:

"starting this spring, (CAD) will become the sole listing currency on eBay.ca. Starting June 1st, sellers will need to use CAD when listing or relisting on eBay.ca.
All remaining USD listings on eBay.ca (including Good ‘Til Cancelled) will need to be converted to CAD by August." - See more at: http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/22/7748/#sthash.pY1CeTQZ.dpuf

Since new listings in US$ will not be allowed after June 1st, only GTC listings will renew in US$ until their August renewal date (the date will obviously vary depending on the listing date).

For example:

If a listing automatically renews for 30 days on July 3rd and is due for renewal 30 days later, it will not renew in US$ on August 2nd.
If a listing automatically renews for 30 days on July 30th and is due for renewal 30 days later, it will not renew in US$ on August 29th.

Hopefully that answers your question.
Message 656 of 1,448
latest reply

If I live in Canada am I allowed/will I be allowed to list my items at ebay.com ?

Message 657 of 1,448
latest reply

@lorraine_carol wrote:

Rodney...I listed one item on .ca in CAD as a trial exercise as BIN. The item # is  401094341182 (a popular ladies item that sells well).I noticed under "Shipping" at the top of the page, not the drop-down menu at the bottom, and it states; 

"Delivery: Estimated between Tue. Mar. 29 and Wed. Apr. 6  ".
My question is, do these dates change daily, if not, then they are incorrectly advising people when to expect it.
I do realize these dates are "Estimated" however if this particular item sold today, on a Canadian weekend or even Monday, not a holiday, "Mar. 29" is completely not feasible. My shipping method is Canada Post Expedited-USA.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.Ro
Lorraine

The date you are looking at is for Canadian buyers. The U.S. estimated date is April 1 - April 8.

btw Those dates should be the same on all of your listings that use the same delivery method, the date has nothing to do with which currency you are using.

But as I mentioned in another post, they don't seem to be counting Monday as a holiday even though CP is not working that day.

Message 658 of 1,448
latest reply

@furiginal wrote:

If I live in Canada am I allowed/will I be allowed to list my items at ebay.com ?

Yes.

You will have to use flat rate shipping on .com as there is no calculated shipping.

There are a number of posts about this so you might skim through this or other threads.

Message 659 of 1,448
latest reply

all I want to know is how to move all my items to Ebay.com...asap !!!!!!! so can you take us through that , don't want to go one by one , have over 200  listing , how can I relist the ones that have expired to ebay.com ????

Thanks for letting us know !

Message 660 of 1,448
latest reply