Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Re: Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

@pierrelebel wrote:

"choosing US$ attracts more US buyers and is 15% more likely to sell..."

That was introduced about 12 years ago and was retracted by eBay-Canada last year when, after a market analysis, they realized that statement was not longer valid.

See their announcement for more information.

So then why, is it still stated TODAY as I list. It has been a year and they can pull that wording out? You do realize that people see what is in front of them more than buried hidden announcements.

Message 1141 of 1,448
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

" I cannot set GST or PST, only Stated taxes. "

Actually it is very easy for Canadian sellers, registered with GST/HST, to collect Canadian taxes for Canadian buyers when listing on eBay.com.  There have been many posts on the subject.

You seem to be taking small snippets out, and not really answering it. YES You CAN collect... but, as I state, you cannot SET IT.

How about addressing that no matter how we migrate, WE LOSE ALL OF OUR WATCHERS? 600 potential sales down the drain.
I have the same problem with the emailing of "we found the item you are watching elsewhere cheaper"... after talking with ebay reps, they admit it is VERY flawed... will it stop? NO.   This migration thing is super flawed. Will it stop? NO.  I mean, they say oh, too difficult to manage 2 currencies on 1 site... hmmmn, been working for years, but now it is too hard?

Message 1142 of 1,448
latest reply

"You seem to be taking small snippets out, and not really answering it. YES You CAN collect... but, as I state, you cannot SET IT."

When a post covers several different subject, for the benefit of all readers, I try to answer one at the time.

The subject of GST/HST tax table has been answered already on several occasions.  In any case, here we go again:

1) set the tax table on eBay.ca

2) when listing on eBay.com simply indicate that you have a tax table - do NOT set up the table on .com  eBay will automatically use the table you have set up on eBay.ca and charge Canadian buyers accordingly.

Message 1143 of 1,448
latest reply

Sorry Pierre, just VERY frustrated with ebay as of late. Every time I talk to them it is basically too bad, we do what we want.  I have had to change/move so many listings lately it makes me frustrated... what will they change next month?

Message 1144 of 1,448
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"You seem to be taking small snippets out, and not really answering it. YES You CAN collect... but, as I state, you cannot SET IT."

When a post covers several different subject, for the benefit of all readers, I try to answer one at the time.

The subject of GST/HST tax table has been answered already on several occasions.  In any case, here we go again:

1) set the tax table on eBay.ca

2) when listing on eBay.com simply indicate that you have a tax table - do NOT set up the table on .com  eBay will automatically use the table you have set up on eBay.ca and charge Canadian buyers accordingly.

I will hunt for it. To be honest, I see nowhere on the sell page on .com to indicate that there is a tax table other than choosing your state and rate.

Message 1145 of 1,448
latest reply

"How about addressing that no matter how we migrate, WE LOSE ALL OF OUR WATCHERS? 600 potential sales down the drain.'

Migrating is a choice made by individual sellers.  I am not migrating. I already list on both eBay.ca (in Cdn$) and eBay.com (in US$) and will not change my marketing methods on eBay.

However, I honestly think way too much importance is given to those "watchers" of fixed price listings. The concept of "watchers" was started by eBay when the majority of listings were "auction style", not fixed price.It made sense at the time for potential bidders to put listing on their "watch list" if they were interested to enter a bid at a later time (in earlier days - last century - we bookmarked those listings in our "favourites").  With "fixed price" listings, that logic is gone.

Very few (if any) of those fixed price watchers really come back to buy.  The vast majority is made of competitors wanting to know if an item sells and at what price.

Yes one can find many problems with the new policy of having eBay-Canada with a single domestic currency (Cdn$) like all other eBay sites.  Look at the bright side: hundreds of millions of eBay users around the world leaned to live with eBay sites offering domestic currency.  Canadians are not stupid.  If the rest of the world can do it, so can we.

And, Canadians like all other international sellers who insist in listing/selling in US$ instead of local currency can do the same by listing on eBay.com.

Nobody likes changes but... we all have to adapt.

Message 1146 of 1,448
latest reply

"I will hunt for it. To be honest, I see nowhere on the sell page on .com to indicate that there is a tax table other than choosing your state and rate."

That has been covered previously.

Add other details

Add or remove options for Additional information

Tick the box in front of Charge applicable sales tax to buyers

Also, for Canada, tick the box in front of 'Also apply to shipping and handling costs"

Message 1147 of 1,448
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"How about addressing that no matter how we migrate, WE LOSE ALL OF OUR WATCHERS? 600 potential sales down the drain.'

Migrating is a choice made by individual sellers.  I am not migrating. I already list on both eBay.ca (in Cdn$) and eBay.com (in US$) and will not change my marketing methods on eBay.

However, I honestly think way too much importance is given to those "watchers" of fixed price listings. The concept of "watchers" was started by eBay when the majority of listings were "auction style", not fixed price.It made sense at the time for potential bidders to put listing on their "watch list" if they were interested to enter a bid at a later time (in earlier days - last century - we bookmarked those listings in our "favourites").  With "fixed price" listings, that logic is gone.

Very few (if any) of those fixed price watchers really come back to buy.  The vast majority is made of competitors wanting to know if an item sells and at what price.

Yes one can find many problems with the new policy of having eBay-Canada with a single domestic currency (Cdn$) like all other eBay sites.  Look at the bright side: hundreds of millions of eBay users around the world leaned to live with eBay sites offering domestic currency.  Canadians are not stupid.  If the rest of the world can do it, so can we.

And, Canadians like all other international sellers who insist in listing/selling in US$ instead of local currency can do the same by listing on eBay.com.

Nobody likes changes but... we all have to adapt.

I get all this, I am adapting, I am also venting. I disagree on the watchers. I watch fixed price items and buy later regularly. Yes, I also watch competitors stuff as well.

Migrating is not "an option" in how I read it... I have 500 some listings on .ca in US currency. If I do not migrate to .com, or change my currency, my listings will be ended. If it were an option I could leave the status quo.

In that, as I read in one of your other posts (I think it was you) Auto parts is about the only thing they say is better in us funds, and should be on the us site, to utilize the fitment feature, most of my stuff. This is why I am considering that way.

Message 1148 of 1,448
latest reply

" just VERY frustrated with ebay as of late. Every time I talk to them it is basically too bad, we do what we want."

Everyone has to understand that eBay has made a decision and will not change their mind about it, whether we like it or not.

So either we concentrate on the problems or look for workable solutions.

I am retired and have lots of time on my hands. So I can read just about every post on these Canadian boards.  I also have a fairly good understanding of the eBay marketplace, its rules and policies. 

What I see are hundreds of posts from often misguided sellers wanting to fight eBay instead of looking at the site as a venue to sell their products.  That is all eBay is: a venue.  I see a lot of misconception - mostly around the alleged value of selling in US$ these days. 

And, to be candid, I think Canadians generally waste their time when calling eBay Customer Service.  The folks (mostly in the Philippines) are trained to understand eBay.com.  Asking questions specific to eBay.ca or Canada often results in the wrong answer being given.

Best to ask the questions on these boards where they can be answered by experienced Canadian users.

Message 1149 of 1,448
latest reply

"Auto parts is about the only thing they say is better in us funds"

That is correct and most successful Canadian auto part sellers on eBay have been listing on eBay.com for years. I also noticed that many Canadian sellers include the shipping costs in their price offering "free shipping" on most items to better compete with American sellers.  Take a good look at what your Canadian competitors are doing.  You may learn from them.

With less than 500 items involved, it may be easier to simply end the listings and list them from scratch on eBay.com.  At the rate of 50 a day, the job can be completed in less than two weeks.  It also allows you to review every listing for pricing and possible errors in description.

Message 1150 of 1,448
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

" just VERY frustrated with ebay as of late. Every time I talk to them it is basically too bad, we do what we want."

Everyone has to understand that eBay has made a decision and will not change their mind about it, whether we like it or not.

So either we concentrate on the problems or look for workable solutions.

I am retired and have lots of time on my hands. So I can read just about every post on these Canadian boards.  I also have a fairly good understanding of the eBay marketplace, its rules and policies. 

What I see are hundreds of posts from often misguided sellers wanting to fight eBay instead of looking at the site as a venue to sell their products.  That is all eBay is: a venue.  I see a lot of misconception - mostly around the alleged value of selling in US$ these days. 

And, to be candid, I think Canadians generally waste their time when calling eBay Customer Service.  The folks (mostly in the Philippines) are trained to understand eBay.com.  Asking questions specific to eBay.ca or Canada often results in the wrong answer being given.

Best to ask the questions on these boards where they can be answered by experienced Canadian users.

Makes a lot of sense. I never "fight" ebay and I know they will not change their minds... that is why I am here.. looking for solutions (and venting). I sadly an not retired, and actually am very busy at work, the timing on this is horrible for me... BUT I am 10 - 12 years out of retirement and want most of my stuff gone by then lol. When I came back in '09 it was exactly that, eat the fees, deal with the **bleep**, etc, because it is a good venue. What I need now is to find the easiest way to get all this changed as seamlessly as possible, and fix glitches I have at the same time.

Message 1151 of 1,448
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Auto parts is about the only thing they say is better in us funds"

That is correct and most successful Canadian auto part sellers on eBay have been listing on eBay.com for years. I also noticed that many Canadian sellers include the shipping costs in their price offering "free shipping" on most items to better compete with American sellers.  Take a good look at what your Canadian competitors are doing.  You may learn from them.

With less than 500 items involved, it may be easier to simply end the listings and list them from scratch on eBay.com.  At the rate of 50 a day, the job can be completed in less than two weeks.  It also allows you to review every listing for pricing and possible errors in description.

Been doing free ship for quite some time... don't want to open the % they take on shipping can of worms lol.  Problem is working 12 hour days, shipping in the AM, 2 hours work travel, 50 a day is out of the question, be lucky to get 10. Lots are on .com already, as I do list on both now...

Message 1152 of 1,448
latest reply

About 10 or 12 years ago, I took a month to switch ALL my listings (I had nearly 4,000 listings in my eBay store at the time) from one site to another, one listing at the time.  It was intense but it also allowed me to check each one, correct a few mistakes and raise a few prices here and there.  Yes it was time consuming but it all worked out.  I was selling on three sites at the time in addition to my own website.

Message 1153 of 1,448
latest reply

I tried the migration tool to go transfer my listings from .ca to .com, and it gives me 225 listings when I only have 125.  And it gives me the choice to transfer all or nothing!  Some of these listings have ended, others are doubles... Now what?

Message 1154 of 1,448
latest reply

Today the "migration tool" has gotten even worse, it just doesn't work at all!  I cannot click anywhere to select or deselect.. When I select all, it shows that zero are selected.. I called ebay "help"  but they had no idea how to help, they said they'll "excalate" my problem and someone will call me. When I got this response in the past no one called me and nothing was resolved..Will it be better if I delete all my listings on ebay.ca and then start listing from scratch on ebay.com?  All my listings are saved on auctiva.

Message 1155 of 1,448
latest reply

Dimitha - a friend of mine re-listed all her listings directly from Auctiva and it worked perfectly. Remember you have to indicate "USA" instead of Canada. You'll have to copy and paste, however she had none of the problems I ran into. She just worked on one group after another. If you want more info, let me know. You are right, don't count on Ebay to give us a helping hand, they really don't give a **bleep**.

Message 1156 of 1,448
latest reply

I got a reply outside of this forum. The tool is indeed Static/snapshot of when a seller originally ran it. They are working on adding a refresh button to see which are now ended/sold/active.
Message 1157 of 1,448
latest reply

You set up your tax table in .ca. In .com you check off the box on the Sell Your Item Form (use sales taxes) and it will pull from your table on .ca. I use it. So I know this works.
Message 1158 of 1,448
latest reply

I'd like to know how Ebay will be compensating sellers for the countless of hours work required to convert listings. Ebay made a decision... A stupid one but a decision nevertheless. At least it could have created a well designed tool that was seamless. With the endless supply of IT resources available to it, it's inexcusable for this fiasco to have occurred. Many of us have small businesses that also include Ebay as part of the sales channel quiver. This whole thing is nothing short of ridiculous. Bad decision with even a worse execution. And now Ebay sits silent over this with zero support available to it's PAYING customers.  

Message 1159 of 1,448
latest reply

"how Ebay will be compensating sellers for the countless of hours work required to convert listings."

That is a great question and you should ask eBay staff on the weekly board where you may get an answer:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Sessio"n/May-25th-2016-Weekly-Session/m-p/338855#U338855

Message 1160 of 1,448
latest reply