Sellers AND Buyers rejoice! eBay IT "glitches" don't discriminate!

jeffglobal
Community Member
Here's another new one that I can't explain.....

I just purchased an item on eBay, and sent PayPal payment immediately. Payment went through, no problems at all.

Just received an email (a few minutes after confirmation of the transaction going through) from eBay with the subject: "Action Required: Your payment needs to be resent."

The message reads as follows:

"Hi jeffglobal,
Sorry, your recent PayPal payment did not go through. As a result, the item(s) below have not received payment.Please return to eBay to resubmit your payment again."

When I log into my eBay account, it still shows that the payment WAS sent.

When I log into my PayPal account, the $ has been taken!!

What exactly am I to do here? As a seller, the system is riddled with issues. Now as a buyer I'm left just as confused.

I've been a member of eBay since 2002. Never in my time has things ever been this bad. It's pathetic. Why do we continue to be tormented with this crappy service?? Better question....why do I continue putting up with it?

Miriam: I'm being forced yet another step closer to closing up shop. I don't know if these "changes" are coming from the top down, but your IT department continues to cause havoc for me, now as a seller AND a buyer.

SOMEBODY'S MARKET RESEARCH IS DEAD WRONG IN MY OPINION -- ALL OF THESE CHANGES (which I presume are the cause of all of our new found "glitches / bugs") AREN'T HELPING ONE SINGLE BIT!

Where's the traffic to the site??

Where's the fun?
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi jeffglobal,

Is it possible that this e-mail that you received is SPAM? Just curious as some PayPal spam is quite realistic looking.

Hopefully Miriam will be able to answer for you.

Have a good day!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

miriam@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi jeffglobal,

Perhaps you could forward the email you received to me, including the headers? I spoke to Customer Support, and they have seen a spoof email along these lines in the past. So I think the first step here is to verify that the email is legit.

If you could send the email to me, I can have someone take a look at it and verify its authenticity. Or you can try submitting it to spoof@ebay.com or paypal@ebay.com (I can't tell who sent the email from your note above).

Thanks!

Miriam
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

jeffglobal
Community Member
Hi Miriam -- will forward it right now to you. Funny enough, it's NOT in my "My Messages" but DOES feature both the item # AND a picture of the item from the auction I had just won! If this is truly a spoof email, this is the greatest looking spoof email of all time!

Forwarding it now for your reference, please advise....
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

jeffglobal
Community Member
I've just sent it to spoof@ebay.com as well to review....
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

duujogl
Community Member
Please return to eBay to resubmit your payment again.

I'll bet it's a spam - "resubmit your payment again." is very bad grammar and is redundant! I don't think PayPal would be guilty of that.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

jeffglobal
Community Member
Has anyone else ever seen a spoof / spam that had an actual item that they had just purchased referenced in the email received? This had BOTH a the item # and the picture that was shown in the auction!!!

Miriam is looking into it as I type this....

I've seen some great spoofs over the years, but this one would be by far the scariest ever received, if it turns out to in fact have been a spoof....
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

miriam@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi jeffglobal,

OK ... here's what we've found out.

1. This email is not a spoof. It is an email that came from eBay.

2. You can disregard the email, as we have confirmed that the payment was correctly made. PayPal confirmed that the money is in the seller's account. The email was triggered incorrectly by a bug.

3. We saw this bug occur earlier this summer. The bug was closed as being corrected, but one of my colleagues is having it re-opened, citing your case.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention and providing me with the means to confirm the problem with the tech team.

Miriam
Message 8 of 8
latest reply