Sellers are responding to eBay's new fixed price fee structure

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Quality stamps from Canada, British Commonwealth and Worldwide at Wholesale Prices
Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

I guess its a step in the right direction.

Frederic
Message 2 of 49
latest reply

We'll see how long that bump lasts. It still remains to be seen what a 30 day duration will do for those buyers that like to search on "Newly Listed" or "Ending Soonest".

I know the few items that I have up with the new 30 FP seem to go "missing" when using Best Match on occasion.

But time will tell from sales whether this is a good fit for each individual seller.
Message 3 of 49
latest reply

Pierre, can this graph also be a partial representation of items moved from store inventory to fixed price. I have done this and have closed my store.

Andrew
Message 4 of 49
latest reply

When these 30 day FP auctions sell and sellers get "sticker shock" at the REAL FMV incurred, will that chart show as much a decline as it did an incline?
Message 5 of 49
latest reply

"can this graph also be a partial representation of items moved from store inventory to fixed price."

Most definitely.

My eBay store is still open and will remain open. However, I have moved over 800 listings (many with large multiples) from my store to core. The additional insertion fees work out to about $250+ monthly but one gets much more exposure.

Time will tell if the extra exposure translates into extra sales. .
Quality stamps from Canada, British Commonwealth and Worldwide at Wholesale Prices
Message 6 of 49
latest reply

"sellers get "sticker shock" at the REAL FMV incurred'

???

Are you assuming sellers are stupid, blind, illiterate and unaware of the FVF increase affecting fixed price listings? .
Message 7 of 49
latest reply

Are you assuming sellers are stupid, blind, illiterate and unaware of the FVF increase affecting fixed price listings?

I would hope not but, perhaps we can just let the barrage of new threads posted in the near future be the litmus test.

Message 8 of 49
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
"Evidence Without Context Is Not Evidence" Grissom on CSI
Message 9 of 49
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
I've not ventured and placed any items on the new 30 day listings as of yet. I may place a few, but not sure.

When chatting with a SP Rep, he suggested that I close my store and put ALL of my listings on the new 30 day cycle for the best exposure.

I replied with while the exposure may be more on the 30-day FP...so will the fees! I can't justify having $1050+ in listing fees for 3000+ listings each month when in my store it runs $90.00+ and the store fee. That's a big difference.

Time will tell and I hope that those of you who are using the new 30 day listings will share your honest opinioins with all of us. It's most certainly a learning curve.

Here's to great exposure and great sales for all!

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 10 of 49
latest reply

Tis the season to list... but it's also the season of bankruptcy, bailouts, recession, 1 years supply of new homes that aren't selling and evaporating sales.

I would be interesting to see listings vs actual sales...
Message 11 of 49
latest reply

Still seems to me that the best option is to list a bunch of listings in the new 30 day format, while keeping a bunch of listings in the store at a much cheaper rate. People will be driven to your store through the new listing format, and you will save money while not putting all of your eggs in one basket.
DIVERSITY!!!!!!
Example- This morning I have sold a few items- 1 from the new listing format, and 3 from the old store listings. Close my store?- Not a chance. The exposure of the store also maintains a professional feel to my listings, and still drives people to my website too, for an added bonus.
I prefer to be careful about eBays promises. They always seem to cost us much more in the end.
AXE.
Message 12 of 49
latest reply

Axe,

I think you mean that eBay's promises always go to benefit eBay, regardless of the spin they put on things.

But I do agree that diversity with regards to listing is the best way. Why pay 35 cents for a listing when you can pay 1/7th of that and keep your items in your eBay store. The FVF are the same. So put what % of items you feel comfortable with at 30 day FP core and keep the majority of your stock as an SIL.

However, having said that my sales have tanked in the last few days and I put up a few 30 day FP. Luckily, my own websites sales have spiked so it more than makes up for the dismal eBay sales.

It's what works best for you and your business plan.
Message 13 of 49
latest reply

"Why pay 35 cents for a listing when you can pay 1/7th of that and keep your items in your eBay store."

Exposure!

"The FVF are the same"

Unless you offer "free shipping" (meaning include shipping in your selling prices). PowerSellers get double the FVF rebate for October, November and December (40$% instead of 20%; 30% instead of 15%, etc...). For some of us, it does make a substantial difference. .
Message 14 of 49
latest reply

canadabeltbuckles
Community Member
One thing I have noticed since switching many of my listing over to the new format for exposure, is a definite increase in Canadian Sales. In the past 99% of my sales were outside of Canada. Today, my sales in Canada are 5 to 1 of anywhere else!

On eBay.ca, a Canadian seller gets huge exposure with the new format, and especially if you offer 'Free Shipping'. I know by mid October the free shipping status will mean a great deal more, but right now, the exposure I am getting is not from the U.S. side, but rather from eBay.ca...

Probably was like that in the past, I just didn't notice it...

"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Message 15 of 49
latest reply

I see no change in my US to Canadian ratio of sales, but the views are exceptionally low compared to March listings of the same items.

That confirms prior research suggesting the state of NA economies are having the expected results on sales.?:|
Message 16 of 49
latest reply

acofa
Community Member
"Listing Fixed Price items is more affordable than ever..." (Lorrie Norrington, August 20th announcement).
Look at www.medved.net stats:
September's "Buy It Now" sales is dropped to 20%, it is lowest value since 2005, 5 years average is 41%.
BUYERS are responding to eBay's new fixed price fee structure!!!
Message 17 of 49
latest reply

acofa
Community Member

Message 18 of 49
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
With the ability to list many more items within a given listing- without additional cost- the trend will naturally be toward sellers adding more items to new MULTIPLE ITEM BUY IT NOW listings.

We would normally never have over 110 items available, regardless of the number of auction listings. At present, we have OVER three times that available (about 375 items). This may reflect well on eBay statistics by INCREASING the number of items available. However, they are simply an extension of what we would normally be offering.

MORE items in a given single listing, do not generate MORE buyers.

So, simply based on the math, the number of sales, as a percentage of items available, will drop.
Message 19 of 49
latest reply

"This may reflect well on eBay statistics by INCREASING the number of items available."

I am not aware of any statistics ever published by eBay or anyone else on the number of items available.

All references I have ever seen (such as the chart above) are about number of listings.

In fact, if you think about it, the recent changes at eBay allowing only one identical item by the same seller to be seen in Search have resulted in a lower number of listings since many sellers who previously offered five identical listings now offer one with a quantity of five: same exposure - lower cost - yet reflecting lower statistics for eBay! .
Message 20 of 49
latest reply