Shipping Insurance

lucy74port
Community Member
Hi all! We have had too many items arrive at their US destination broken by the Post Office and are haveng unhappy buyers. Canada Post, as you know, don't insure for breakage of fragile items and I've been refunding for these broken things myself so that buyers don't get all huffy. When we try to ship something else, folks complain about the costs....... I am thinking of offering our own pro rated insurance as does Countrycherub. Any body had any history with this or any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Shipping Insurance

firedept10
Community Member
I offer insurance through a rider I have added to my home insurance. So far never had to pay out and only charge $1.00 per $100.00. Secret about Canada Post is that all there conveyor belts are three feet off the ground. I have been personally told by Canada Post that you should be able to drop your parcel that amount. That should cover most things for damage. Also remember they pack them in five foot cages to ship so if at the bottom it could be bearing allot of weight. I do not let customers complain about the cost of shipping. Fixed price, no argument. I will ask them if they want their item whole or in pieces. Try packing with bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts. I occasionally sell Doultons & Moorcroft and take the extra attention to over pack them. Once broken they are garbage and costly to refund. Any money collected over the year for insurance goes to pay the rider. This is the way I handle it.

Don
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Shipping Insurance

stats-one
Community Member
If that many shippments are arriving broken, maybe you are not packing right.

What and how do you pack?
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Shipping Insurance

e-scrooge
Community Member
You can never use too much padding, I say.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Shipping Insurance

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
Canada Post cover all items except the following , glass and pottery. You ask Canada post , or whom ever tells you . To fax you the info stating no to fragile items. You should email red_deer on ebay . He has some very good thoughts on this , and has faught Canada Post and won.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Shipping Insurance

treasure-pot
Community Member
I have also had a number of broken items covered by CanadaPost insurance. The real challenge is to get them to cover the selling price of an item (so that I can forward the claim payment to my customer) rather than my cost. I have had this fight with them several times. If you stick to your guns without it getting to heated they will pay the full amount (your selling price + postage).

Bill

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Shipping Insurance

I would also suggest using bubble wrap with the large 3/4" bubbles, not that flimsy junk they sell at Staples. I use it for every item I sell, whether it's a credenza or a thimble... the stuff works great! You can buy it in large rolls quite reasonably, I use it along with tightly packed foam peanuts... So far 100% safe arrival through Canada post. Now, if they decide to open your package for inspection at customs you may not be so lucky... Had that happen once, wasn't fun...
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Shipping Insurance

treasure-pot
Community Member
I "self insure" of small packet items only. As you are probably aware, CanadaPost does not offer insurance on this service.

Some time ago I started offering my customers the option of paying an additional $1.50 USD per item if they wanted insurance of items that ship Small Packet Service. I accumulate this money in an account within my accounting program (QuickBooks Pro). Payouts are also made from this account.

As opposed to the Post Office, my insurance is only available for breakage. If an item is damaged in transit the customer is required to email me a pic of the damage to the item (and packaging). Based on that evidence I personally honour the claim (refund including S/H or replacement as the customer wishes).

Since I started doing this before Xmas last year I have only had to pay out 5 claims. The account is currently $310 in the black.

Sometimes, if the S/H in my auction is enough (ie $5.95 USD), the additional $1.50 will allow me to "bump" the item up to Expedited Parcel-USA which automatically includes $100 insurance and also provides DelConf.

It has worked well for me.

Bill

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Shipping Insurance

lucy74port
Community Member
Hi, thanks for all your replies. We do pack very securely and up until the last month, had nothing broken. We use tons of bubble wrap,large and small, peanuts, and sometimes double box with hunks of styro. Our customers complain about the extra cost for size sometimes, but all in all, we've had such good deliveries. We have had 3 items broken in the last 3 weeks and that many, I consider to be a lot. The boxes have huge dings in them and are ripped. One of them had been opened and then re taped with only white masking tape, which we never use. That one was returned for " unknown", broken. the bubble was all askew inside. Canada Post has paid for that one. Anyway.... I'm now going to self insure on fragile items. It'll keep the cat happy... you know? thanks again Lucy74port
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Shipping Insurance

plumbrokeacres
Community Member
I also Self insure after having arguments with Canada post over paying for lost items. I started offering $1 for insurance 50 -60% of buyers take it and when there is a problem (doesn't happen often) wether it is 30 days late or broken I refund or replace. It's been a great system no more fighting with Canada post .

Andrew
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Shipping Insurance

relic
Community Member
Hi all, you can get an insurance claim paid by Canada Post IF the purchaser in the US files the claim through the USPS, not many people know this and Canada Post does not advertise it. Also we ship a lot of stuff and do not use peanuts as they shift in delivery. We use tightly rolled newspaper, we buy it at about a dollar a bundle at our local newspaper shop, so the price is right.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Shipping Insurance

coastwindchimes
Community Member
I also self-insure. I charge $1 U.S., and so far have had to pay out only a couple of small settlements. It's great, because if there is a problem, there is not all that paper work and waiting for Canada Post to settle-- I simply hand over the money. If a package is over $100 value, I do most often also get the Post office insurance, just for my own ease of mind... but should there ever be a problem, I would settle instantly with the customer from my own insurance 'account'.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply