Shipping still getting the best of me

At this point, I have established myself as a pretty decent seller, I think. But if there was one thing I am struggling with still, it would be shipping.

For selling on other sites, I would usually "find a rate" using CanadaPost.ca when I need to, or if I know it can go as Lettermail (etc) I will just do that on my own.

I use Turbo Lister to create my listings. Works quite well, and have used it for a while. The only thing I dont completely understand is the shipping portion.

Most of my items I can ship in bubble envelopes, so I choose that as Package Type. Now, if I choose Calculated Shipping, where does the cost of packaging and materials go? Under Handling Cost?

I also don't know all the methods that I can use to ship the item. That was the nice thing with using canadapost.ca to find a rate, it would give u all available options to ship, based on the values you entered.

How do I know if I can use this or that method to ship the item? There's nothing to really tell you.

I hope this makes sense. I don't want to choose a Service and end up having it not actually available as a method.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Shipping still getting the best of me

Most of my items I can ship in bubble envelopes, so I choose that as Package Type. Now, if I choose Calculated Shipping, where does the cost of packaging and materials go? Under Handling Cost?

Yes.

I also don't know all the methods that I can use to ship the item

That depends on where you are and how many you're shipping and where.

For the US and overseas, if you're in Vancouver or Toronto, there are couriers that will take your stuff down to USPS, which is A LOT cheaper to ship by.  They're pretty reasonable and you get fster delivery than with CanPost.

Otherwise, you're best just to stick to CanadaPost.  UPS and Canpar are options, but it gets confusing and they're not really cheap enough for your use.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I've been selling for about six months and think I now have the shipping issues mastered, pretty much - at least as far as knowing the costs. It took a while though and I did a lot of checking on CP in the early days.  I still use Canada Post's site sometimes to check a price for some things, but the key for US and International is: it's mostly all about weight. If you use Canada Post as your method and are shipping outside of Canada, then you need to know their weight "breaks", mainly at 500 gms. 1 kg. and above in 1kg. increments. Over 1 kg. to US or abroad must go Expedited, under 1kg. has the additional Tracked Packet or Small Packets option. If you choose the right those options, I have found the eBay shipping calculator to be very accurate for each buyer's location. No problems. 

I always state in my listings that I will check shipping in advance for anyone, and I think a lot of buyers appreciate that. They need to provide a Postal Code or Zip Code and then I use the Canada Post website to check it. Now that the FX is changing, a "quote" needs to take that into account since eBay will automatically convert it daily apparently. 

Hope that helps!

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

All your items (based on your feeback) appear to be low dollar.  There is no need for tracking.  Therefore, to the US, all your packages can be sent US Small Packet Air.  $7.80, $10.35, $15.56 depending on weight.  The same service is available for International destinations starting at $9 and up to about $58 for items upto 2kg.

I would add all packaging costs to your opening bid.  I don't think buyers like to see handling costs.  I don't specificly charge for them myself.

As for using the CanadaPost website, it is either lettermail (paper documents) or its a package.  Size & weight will determine what options are availalble.  Like I said, you items are inexpensive, any service will do the trick.

Logo photo Logo.gif
Roblin's Garage - Classic Auto Salvage
Demorestville, ON / Scarborough, ON
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I simplified things for myself. I do not do  handling. I do not use calculated shipping. I have two models.

- Flat rate shipping in round dollars. I lose 50¢, I make 50¢. It is simpler. All costs are included in the widget price. I use price pointing. $16.99 plus $8 = $24.99. It works.

- eBay is rapidly moving to the shipping included model. The above example is now $24.99, free shipping. One price click and go.

Either example, the buyer knows up front what it will cost them. No clicking through. No getting out a pencil and adding a four digit price plus a three didit handling, plus a three digit shipping, "Darn, where's the calculator?".

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I'm similiar to my polar-cow friend.

I use flat rate for all items but I do it to the penny to make it look like I'm not making numbers up.

1) Canada - based on shipping from M1M2G2 to A1E2X1 (Toronto to St. Johns, NF)

2) US - Cheapest available to California from M1M2G2

3) International - Cheapest Available to Australia.

Every January I do a mass update of listings for the new postal rates.

I charge no handling fees.  I break even on shipping fees as I reconcile each shipping billed vs. paid.  Last year, I spent about $12,500 at CanadaPost.

Logo photo Logo.gif
Roblin's Garage - Classic Auto Salvage
Demorestville, ON / Scarborough, ON
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I guess it all depends on the category in which you sell.

From the beginning i have watched competitors & have found the majority use flat rate shipping. Easier for everyone in my category.

I also do not charge a handling fee, but for the two to three dollar loss on shipping it is easily made up in the product price.

Just curious, what items are being sold with Calcualed Shipping ?  Pricey items over a hundred ?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Just curious, what items are being sold with Calcualed Shipping ?  Pricey items over a hundred?

Actually I tend to use calculated shipping only within Canada for Canadian related items (hockey, CFL etc.) which can't be sent lettermail. Most of those items are low cost but shipping costs range from $8-$14 so it is difficult to absorb part of the shipping cost in the price.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I guess that makes sense PJ for some of your bulky items you ship across the country.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

where does the cost of packaging and materials go? Under Handling Cost?

Yes, but  your handling costs are not split out for the buyer, If you are charging $5 shipping and 50 cents handling the buyer sees a cost of $5.50.

What makes you think that Paypal/eBay and Canada Post are giving you different costs for shipping? Are you including the weight and bulk of packaging in both sets of dimensions? Are you using metric measurements for both sets of dimensions? (Canada Post went metric in 1974. Any other measuring system will give you approximations.) If you are putting in the same information you should be getting the same result.

In any case, why are you second guessing? If you print your PP label, and drop it into the post box, there is no reason for the nosy postal outlet clerk to handle it .  My daughter started doing this when the nasty clerk at her local PO was rejecting her parcels. Idiot clerk didn't know what Light Packet or Expedited Parcel were, and was rejecting her properly done parcels. Sheesh, but off topic.

What is your comfort level for losses? $10? $100? You can under that level use an untracked, uninsured service like Small Packet. The idea is that you also add a tiny amount (less than a dime) to those Handling charges as a self-insurance premium against loss claims.  If you have claims once in 100 sales of $15 items (including the cost of shipping!), you have $1500 income to offset the loss of one $15 item. Ten "premiums" of a dime would cover your actual losses (procurement cost +fees+postage) and might even show a miniscule profit.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

You are right Femme.

Even though it can be frustrating to refund for an Item Not Received one must look at the big picture.

The sales easily offset the loss. That makes the sting a lot less painful.

Of course it would be painful for you & my wife if you ordered Nathan Fillion in the flesh & the crate arrived empty with nothing but a FIREFLY. lol

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have low cost, smaller items for now, but I am looking to branch out into other items also.

Reading the replies, and thinking about it, and I guess the real issue I'm having is in the Turbo Lister program. Basically, I know that if I can ship it as lettermail, that is when I can do the flat rate. I have the Canada Post brochure next to me to check those prices.

If it can not go as lettermail, that's where I go with calculated, as those rates will vary, and are not a flat rate. That's fine, and I understand all that.

The part I'm having trouble understanding is the Services part. Without checking thru Canada Post ahead of time, I don't know what services are applicable, when creating my listing(s). Can I or can't I use this or that Service? That's the part I don't understand.

I don't want to offer aservice, and it turns out that I actually can't use it.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

You can look up the services on canadapost.ca.

Be sure to use the BUSINESS tab, not the personal. Some services don't show up on the personal tab.

I made a chart of the various services, rate changes, destinations and prices for the services I use the most. Posted it on the bulletin board above my desk. Most useful hour and a half I've spent this year.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Th3, yer trying to hard. I list on dot com and my shipping to Canada is simply stated as flat rate standard shipping. That is as much as the buyer needs to know.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

The part I'm having trouble understanding is the Services part. Without checking thru Canada Post ahead of time, I don't know what services are applicable, when creating my listing(s). Can I or can't I use this or that Service? That's the part I don't understand.

Basically if your item is under 2cm thick and under 500 gr you can mail it lettermail within Canada and light packet or letterpost to other countries. Technically letterpost out of the country is supposed to be used just for documents but sellers do use it for merchandise.

Anything over that width should go expedited parcel within Canada as you do get the discount if you ship through paypal.

Items up to1kg to the US can go small packet. or tracked packet.

Items up to 2kg can go small packet or tracked packet to all other countries.

Expedited US has a higher minimum measurement than most other services. Min size is 21cmx14cmx.5cm

That info and other in and max meaurements are available on CP website.

I hope the info helps in some way.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply