Shipping too expensive ???????

I just can't believe some buyers how they ignore the description in  you're listing about shipping , he complains about that I over charged him a buck twenty five WOW!!!!!! but buyers forget on 4.70 we also pay tax ? which don't show on the envelope? also what about packaging ???? they think we get the material free????? what about the gas to the post office??? my time ?? the fees on shipping???if I include all this I should charge 15 at least for shipping but then would I have any sale???? ....not!!!......arghhh this new buyers are smart they know how to work the system I also had several buyers from USA Emailing me after 3 days of payment ...where is my package???? do you have a tracking number for me??? if this is the opening line ..you can be sure of one thing SCAM , as they open dispute get my comic and the money ARGHHHH ok I'm fine now Thanks for letting me rant here 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I think you have encountered one very uninformed buyer that assumes the only cost in shipping is postage. I can totally feel your angst. It does happen from time to time, and the best thing to do is try to explain the cost to them. Although sometimes "some men you just can't reach"! Quote-Cool Hand Luke.

As for the US buyer who stole your comic. If you are a member of any comic forums then plaster their id around just to help other sellers such as yourself to block them right away, and help save some grief in your community. We do it in the Sports Card Forums and because of it I have an extensive block list in place.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I suspect you are selling to a very 'entitled' demographic. That is any demographic that includes a heavy percentage of 18-34 yo males.

My first suggestion would be, if you are using Paypal labels, to print the version that does not reveal the postage paid. PP labels cannot be used for Letter/Light Packet however.

My second suggestion is a bit self-serving. Buy mint postage on eBay at a substantial discount. Some local stamps dealers may also have postage available. Discounts can run 20% off face value or more if the purchase is substantial. And buyers remember the pretty stamps.

The savings on your stamps will offset the occasional loss of a book.

My third suggestion is to leave feedback immediately with the shipping date and service. "Thank you for your prompt payment. Sent 10/10/2014 CANADA POST Air Mail." A little egoboo, a shipping date, a reminder that the item will cross a border, and that it is coming Air. First Class is basically air mail, although not necessarily. Do add an Air Mail sticker to each shipment, to encourage the postie.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I have been dealing with that also lately and have tried the following, it works for me hopefully for you, I have started on a large selection of my items offering Free shipping (shipping included) I add the price of shipping onto the product , it has greatly increased my sales with no loss in pricing. Most buyers I find search a lot by " Lowest price/Shipping " as long as the combined price is competitive you are in good shape. The good thing is they cant ding you on your ratings for shipping.

For the USA customers asking for tracking etc right away I get that often also but haven't found a good solution, that's one of the down falls of Canada Post, I like to think the majority of customers are honest

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Another thought.

Use Free Shipping.

Don't panic.

Free Shipping just means that you include the cost of shipping into the price of your item.

So your 99 cent Richie Rich now costs $5.99 with Free Shipping.

The $39.99 Spiderman now costs $46.00 (or $44.99) with Free Shipping.

Which costs more?

A $5 item with $10 shipping?

A $10 item with $5 shipping?

A $15 item with Free Shipping?

On which do you pay the most fees? Did you know that if you use Free Shipping domestically you pay no fees on international shipping even if you charge full pop for SuperGoldPlatedOverNightExpressRocketMail delivery to Kazhakistan?

Which attracts the bright customer who can add? Which discourages the nickel-squeezing bottom feeder who detests paying for shipping?*

*Everyone hates paying for shipping, btw. Which is why "Free" Shipping works so well.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thank you so much ,I guess you can still teach an old dog new tricks ,all of you wrote back with helpful information which I will use from here on , even us old timers have to change with time  ,nothing stays the same , it is a completely new generation here on Ebay which I like to adapt to ,I read the forums all time and it really helps ,as we all can learn from each others experience ,Thank you so much everybody

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

PayPal sells labels for Light Packet US and International, but they have shown the price for some time now.

For the OP - if you do not want to offer free shipping, or need to use calculated shipping for some items, you can add those extra costs into the asking price of your items, instead of putting them in the shipping and handling, then the customer sees that shipping charge = shipping cost.

Also, when you offer free shipping domestically, you don't pay final value fees on any shipping charges to US & Int'l.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

My first suggestion would be, if you are using Paypal labels, to print the version that does not reveal the postage paid. PP labels cannot be used for Letter/Light Packet however.

I'm not sure what you mean.  As far as I know, since the (fairly recent) point at which they began showing the actual postage paid on Light Packet and Small Packet Paypal labels, there is no option to remove that information -- is there???    

Paypal labels can in fact be used for Light Packet (either U.S. or international), although if I recall, the label itself prints out with "Small Packet".  The prices are significantly different between Light and Small Packet, and in some instances, depending on weight and destination, the rate for Light Packet is actually lower than letter mail. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I've been using discount postage stamps for so long I missed that.

And of course Light Packet is a printable PP shipping label, only Letter is not.

But I stand by using Free Shipping wherever possible.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply