The Penny vs Canada Post

So, it's been coming and it's finally here, the penny is no more.

I had not really taken much time to think about it, only thoughts until today were that there would be some rounding taking place with cash, no change with debit.

However, it seems that's not the case. Canada post is using the opportunity to make price changes, and I believe many other businesses will do the same.

I mailed an oversized letter today, which normally came to 2.37 after tax for my usual weight. So, I figured that would round down to 2.35 if paying cash.

I was a bit surprised to see the register come up at 2.49 after tax.

So what has happened is the before tax price has been raised from 2.10 to 2.20.

So not only did they get around the rounding down, but they've raised their price beyond that. I'd be interested to see other people's notes on this with the different package types.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The Penny vs Canada Post

??????

Canada Post annual rate changes were made on Jan 14, 2013. Your rate 200 gran Lettermail changed from $2.10 to $2.20 then. These changes were announced in Dec 2012.

It has nothing to do with the elimination of the penny.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

The Penny vs Canada Post

The postal change from $2.10 to $2.20 was announced last year and has nothing to do with the rounding up or down of the penny.

Only a tiny fraction of all transactions in Canada are in cash.

The rounding up or down (to the nearest $0.05) does not affect the vast majority of all transactions which are paid by debit/credit cards, other electronic means, cheques, money orders, etc....

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The Penny vs Canada Post

Ah my mistake, as it turns out I haven't had a 200g package since before the change.

Funny thing is that the postal worker agreed that it was 2.37 before tax as of yesterday, lol. She must not have had too many of these recently.

At the same time though, are we certain these 2 events have nothing to do with each other? Seems like an unlikely coincidence to me.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The Penny vs Canada Post

Canada Post rates increase every year and usualy in January so there is no conspiracy it is just a coincidence.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The Penny vs Canada Post

"unlikely coincidence to me."

Think about it.

In many provinces, the new rate for a first class stamp within Canada (that is Canada Post #1 seller by far) went up a few weeks ago to $0.63 plus 13% tax (rate in many provinces) $0.71 meaning Canada Post will lose $0.01 for every single stamp sold and paid cash.

The same loss of $0.01 applies to all provinces with 5% GST ($0.63 + 5% = $0.66).

NO - Canada Post did not raise their rates with the penny in mind!

Think about it.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

The Penny vs Canada Post

Many people will buy a booklet of 10 stamps for $6.30

Could it be that plastic  will become even more popular?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

The Penny vs Canada Post

Not the plastic "paper" money, but interac or credit card

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

The Penny vs Canada Post

I use credit card to pay even when I'm buying something $1.56 from McD's. So  yes, I definitely prefer using the "plastic" money.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply