What is the Global Shipping Program

davehlu
Community Member

I have just encountered the Global Shipping Program and it appears that I have to pay an extra fee and wait longer for the item to arrive?

Are you not aware that Canada and the U.S. have had a free trade treaty for more years that I can remember. Items shipped from the U.S. usually only gather a $5.oo processing fee - where does the excess go?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hi here is ebay's GSP for US sellers....

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

Program is not advantageous for canadian buyers. Eliminates dealing directly with Canada Customs and Pitney Bowes is charging processing fees on items under $20. as well.

Listings for seller using will show..customs charges.. to be provided at checkout. To see the approximate amount to be charged , it is necessary to view the item on .COM . Ebay says it will be available on .CA soon.

US sellers signing on have no idea of the impact on canadian buyers but you can let them know. Avoid , if possible.

PS..If Customs does assign charges (not GPS) and via mail the Canada Post fee for collecting is $9.95 not $5.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Free trade deals with duty.

What you are complaining about is a fee for service (yes, an expensive and annoying service)  not duty.

You will also be paying federal and provincial sales taxes. Again, nothing to do with Free Trade and duty.

The only way to deal with this annoying program is to ask sellers, before bidding, if they use it and if they are willing to ship directly.

Do note that Confirmed Delivery to Canada by USPS starts at around $20-25. So direct shipping may not save you money.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

davehlu
Community Member

Normal 0

The GSP includes: Duty, taxes, shipping, and certain fees, such as export classification, importation risk premium, and variance fees, which are assessed by the global shipping provider as part of the services provided by the Global Shipping Program.

You don't have to ask sellers, it is shown on their listings as a separate item.

My complaint is charging Canadian taxes on items which would not normally be assessed taxes if shipped directly; and miscellaneous fees which can rapidly add up for services which the Post Office provides without charge.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I have never been assessed any additional fees choosing  USPS as my preferred method for my purchases. This stinks to high heaven as a blatant money grab. I would like to know what renumeration ebay or paypal may receive for implmenting this program. As a Canadian, I will soon limit or completely terminate any future interaction on this site. As an informed shopper, there ARE alternatives. Not all internet merchants or sellers are out to gouge Canadians with ridiculous fees and shipping charges.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply