What is the difference between a yard sale & a flea market?

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!!!!

I thought John Donahoe did not want eBay to be like a flea market and yet eBay is promoting "yard sale" pricing and encouraging us to get rid of or unwanted items (junk!!).
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

faerywishes
Community Member
I list the majority of my auctions at $.99 to save on listing fees. To bump it up to a dollar doesn't make sense.

What do we as a seller get from this promo? I couldn't find anything. I need to know what I get to see if it's in my best interest to participate.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
IN MY OPINION-
A yard sale is an ad hoc event, sometimes even defined in a City Municipal Code. It is a personal, or sometimes a small group of neighbours coming together, to sell their items- on their property.

A FLEA MAKET- is an organized venture, usually on an ongoing scheduled basis, where people sell their wares- on ANOTHER person's property.

I work by the following model- give me an item, and I will likely add it to my collection. Give me two or three similar items, and I will trade the additional one(s) for something I want. Give me access to LARGE QUANTITIES of similar items- and I can run a business.
I always have a problem trying to write copy for a SINGLE item- knowing that once it sold- there are no more. ENDLESS REPETITION, selling similar items makes life so much easier.

Sellers who come to eBay with a "YARD SALE" concept, often do not have the knowledge to accurately describe their wares. And, the dissimilarity in items offered is not likely to lead to the repeat business THAT MOST LARGE SELLERS HAVE.

On the other hand- as a buyer- I LOVE !!! the deals I get buying NOT AS DESCRIBED items- and from my experience, knowing exactly what they are! (items not accurately described- by omission, or lack of knowledge- often not at all deliberate) Knowledge is key, and as in any situation, it can well be used to your advantage. Everyday, items sell on eBay for a mere fraction of their real, or intrinsic, value. That is a reality. However, as a seller it makes little sense selling items for a fraction of their worth. And, in the long run, it is not a good model for a business.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

A yard sale is an ad hoc event, sometimes even defined in a City Municipal Code. It is a personal, or sometimes a small group of neighbours coming together, to sell their items- on their property.

A FLEA MAKET- is an organized venture, usually on an ongoing scheduled basis, where people sell their wares- on ANOTHER person's property.

Exactly my point!!

Yard sales are usually local events that take place occasionally on personal property or in a public place for a locally organized fundraising event.

A flea market is an organized yard sale run as a business. That is the way eBay is portraying itself by posting all of the "yard sale" promos. There is nothing wrong with it but it contradicts what John Donahoe said about not wanting eBay to be a flea market.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
In my opinion, eBay is somewhat like the world's largest flea market. Just like the SMITHSONIAN is the Nation's attic. (for the United States)

If eBay only sold MASS PRODUCED homogeneous goods- then it would nothing more than THE OTHER BIG INTERNATIONAL WEBSITE- that sounds like a large woman!

I am on the side that eBay works best when not offering MASS PRODUCED goods. Though competition is a good, and healthy thing- why would anyone choose an AUCTION/BUY IT NOW venue to compete?
Other websites are far better suited, and less expensive than the eBay model. eBay works best for the esoteric, the unique, and often not found items.
For CDs (if anyone actually buys them anymore), IN PRINT books- and stuff like that- why eBay?
For LARGE items- like appliances- eBay has never made sense- KIJIJI makes more sens- local pick-up- close proximity. For REAL ESTATE- I like to see the property I'm buying- like a CAR- what were the people at eBay thinking?

Some things just don't make sense to be auctioned off all in the same place.
FRAGMENTING the marketplace into STUB HUB, and eBay AUTO all make sense. In a way- eBay EXPRESS is a subset for NEW MERCHANDISE ONLY.
Maybe ALL NEW merchandise, AND BUY IT NOWs should be placed there.
And, leave eBay as an auction house- true to its roots- where PEZ dispencers truly rule!
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

However, as a seller it makes little sense selling items for a fraction of their worth. And, in the long run, it is not a good model for a business.

RIGHT ON!!

Many people do not know value. If you have a good product and price it too low, they think that that is all it is worth. You lose the people who are looking for quality because they "perceive" it as low quality because of the price. So you get the low bidders who are looking for a bargain and end up selling the products for much less than their value, if they sell at all. You can build your reputation on quality or on being "cheap". I would rather build it on quality and gain quality customers.

Just my opinion based on my own experiences. I am sure other products sell well under a "flea market" type business model.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

For CDs (if anyone actually buys them anymore)

I just bought one recently. I used to buy craft supplies which are still sitting here waiting to be created into something beautiful...lol. Who has time when you sell on eBay? Now I buy DVD's and video tapes of old movies and TV shows that you can't find anywhere else. One of these days I will get time to actually watch them!

I list the majority of my auctions at $.99 to save on listing fees. To bump it up to a dollar doesn't make sense.

What do we as a seller get from this promo? I couldn't find anything. I need to know what I get to see if it's in my best interest to participate

There is no benefit in bumping them up to a dollar for anyone except eBay because they collect more fees. That promotion must be for newbies who don't know any better?
Message 7 of 7
latest reply