Where the heck did ebay get these new import charges from???

these new import charges for shipments to Canada are not true charges!!! They prevent Canadian buyers from bidding on items since they are in most cases as much or more than the item cost. This is craziness! Stop doing this!! Canadian buyers are happy to pay any duties or taxes that are on the goods they buy. They don't want to pay brokerage and unreasonable costs on goods that are not true. Stop this now!!!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Where the heck did ebay get these new import charges from???

No kidding! This Global Shipping program seems to be designed to destroy international transactions, and there is no way for the US seller to create an eBay invoice that includes regular shipping. Even if the US seller wants to ship by USPS First Class International or even Priority, he can't. Not to mention how many US seller that clearly state they don't ship out of the US but have this program attached to their listings. There are several US sellers that used to ship to Canada that now don't because they were saddled with this Global Shipping program!

The only way around it for US sellers that are willng to ship to Canada by USPS is if you buy multiple items (more than one) from the same seller. You can then request a total which will allow them to customize an invoice to you. The only by-pass for a single item is to convince the US seller to invoice you via PayPal for the auction and shipping. After you pay via PayPal, you mark the auction as "payment sent" then the seller must mark the auction as payment received (to prevent any unpaid item case opening.)

This Global Shipping program is a cash grab by someone. I bought 2 small items that totalled $32.00, First Class would've cost $6-$8.00. Global Shipping wanted me to sent $42.00 to Pitney Bowes for shipping and import charges! Luckily the buyer invoiced me through PayPal. I got stuck on an auction over the weekend. Purchased an item for $17.00 and ended up paying $51 for the item, shipping and "import charges." No mas. I'm done with international buying until they get rid of this horrid program.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

these new import charges for shipments to Canada are not true charges!!!

How are they not true...do you have an example?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

There are some Canada friendly US sellers out there that value our patronage and are not enrolled in the GSP program. Just bought a $100 item from a seller who gave a choice of 3 shipping options at checkout which is amazing. When I do a search now for items of interest I limit the results to Canada only which means the selection is limited and more importantly the Canada friendly sellers are excluded because the vast majority have been suckered into the GSP program. I don't waste my time anymore sifting through North American listings. We should start a thread that lists these Canada friendly sellers along with their product lines to encourage a fair bidding process between US and Canadian buyers. We thought we could get around the hated HST by buying online and then we get slapped in the face with this GSP **bleep**.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@tafferdills wrote:

these new import charges for shipments to Canada are not true charges!!! They prevent Canadian buyers from bidding on items since they are in most cases as much or more than the item cost. This is craziness! Stop doing this!! Canadian buyers are happy to pay any duties or taxes that are on the goods they buy. They don't want to pay brokerage and unreasonable costs on goods that are not true. Stop this now!!!

The charges aren't new.  What you may be finding new is that items that you purchase through the GSP are being charged for taxes and processing, while items you purchased through the mail went through untaxed by the Canada Border Services Agency.

Any item imported by mail can be assessed taxes (and duty, if applicable) owing plus a C$9.95 processing fee.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

With the GSP, there's a 100% chance you'll pay taxes (and duty) owing, although I've found many instances where what's leftover is less than C$9.95.  You need to decide if a GSP item is worth that 100% chance of being taxed or if you'll take your chances with a similar item sent through the mail instead and possibly pay Canada Border Services ten bucks as well as taxes.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I have been in the customs brokerage import business for over 35 years. I bought a pair of shoes for $60.00 that are made in the USA. The shipping costs were $20.00 and the import charges were $43.00. There is no duty on goods made in the USA here in Canada. Where did they come up with $43.00! The seller was so good and she cancelled the transaction and posted them as a "Buy it Now". I purchased the shoes, paid $10.00 shipping and no import costs.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I would rather pay the taxes & duty directly to CBSA and pay the $9.95 brokerage fee. I think most Canadians would rather than an overstated "estimate".
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@tafferdills wrote:

I have been in the customs brokerage import business for over 35 years. I bought a pair of shoes for $60.00 that are made in the USA. The shipping costs were $20.00 and the import charges were $43.00. There is no duty on goods made in the USA here in Canada. Where did they come up with $43.00!

Did the "item specifics" portion of listing state that the shoes were made in the United States?  If not, the GSP "robot" may have assumed that they weren't and calculated duties as well as taxes on them.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I bought a DVD 5.99 shipping 5.99 GSP 13.98 Never ever ever will I purchase again from U.S seller It did not appear until I went to purchase BIN then it showed up after I committed to buy.Very sneaky. My stupidity but once bitten twice shy.How are sellers not getting all 1 dsr on shipping I know it is not their fault but when they are not forwarning their customers that a 6.00 item is going to cost them 19.00 shipping when it only requires 2.99 postage Yes their customers are going to be riled.I think Canadians will be buying a lot more from Canadian sellers now which is great news for me.And the real thing that was even more irrating is that a day after the purchase the seller sends an email to say sorry about the shipping costs and GSP costs nothing she can do about them and if she tells the real costs no-one will buy from her?No kidding-I would never leave a bad fb unless it was horrific and even though I am very ticked about her not letting me know first then email that it was sent and sorry about that I still will not ding her as it was my total stupidity.I just cannot understand how any seller is going to keep their dsr ratings out of the gutter.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@t.w.mooner wrote:

I bought a DVD 5.99 shipping 5.99 GSP 13.98

I'm sorry, but I find this very difficult to believe.  The way the Global Shipping Program is now set up, a US$5.99 item shouldn't be subject to "import charges".  Are you sure this item was shipped through the Global Shipping Program?  Do you have an item number for reference?

Message 10 of 10
latest reply