Why can't I use my credit card with Paypal?

I've bought several things recently where this happened.  Yes, it's all linked & everything.  But with some transactions, when you check out & it gives the option to change the payment source, the default is paypal balance, you click 'change' & all it gives you is either paypal or bank account.  In other cases, the credit card is included in the options.  Is it that some sellers don't take credit cards, or does it depend on the country, or is there a minimum amount of the purchase, or what?  I'm perplexed... would like to be able to put more purchases on the credit card for air miles 🙂

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

scifan57
Community Member
If you have a PayPal balance,you normally aren't allowed to change the funding source. What is a glitch was when PayPal allowed you to use your credit card when you had a balance in your PayPal account.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

scifan57
Community Member
Sellers can't refuse card funded PayPal payments and there is no minimum purchas amount in order to use a credit card. Nere's a thought,are the sellers where you can't use your credit card as a funding source new sellers. They may be trying to sell with a personal PayPal account,which can't receive card funded payments. If this isn't the problem,I don't know what It could be. Have you tried contacting the seller to find out if there is a problem on his end?
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I'm not sure i understand ..assuming no balance , are you unable to select card once signed in to PayPal (more funding options)

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

They are mostly not new sellers.  Some have quite a bit of volume, and ebay stores. 

There was a paypal balance.  However, in some cases, even with the balance, I was able to choose credit card rather than paypal balance (I wanted the airmiles on the credit card, plus the chargeback option if the item didn't come).  In other cases, for example I recently bought $40 worth of film & wanted to use my Amex, when I clicked 'change' for the payment source, the only things listed were paypal & bank account.  There is an 'add credit card' link but when I clicked that it was for adding a second card, in addition to the Amex which it said was already linked to the account.  I figured it would be too much hassle to sort this out with sellers so no, I haven't asked them.  Assumed it was an ebay/paypal glitch.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
If you have a PayPal balance,you normally aren't allowed to change the funding source. What is a glitch was when PayPal allowed you to use your credit card when you had a balance in your PayPal account.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Because paypal policy delcared:  Funding Source Limitations. In order to manage risk, PayPal may limit the Funding Sources available for a transaction

Source:  http://ebayquestions.com/2014/12/19/cant-choose-credit-card-as-funding-source/

That's why some case u can choose credit card but some cases it disappeared

Message 6 of 6
latest reply