You must accept PayPal to ship to: Australia, United Kingdom !!!

lina-mallows
Community Member
It one thing for eBay to NOW CHARGE for added exposure in the UK.
HOWEVER- its quite another to DEMAND that I accept PAYPAL if I select UK as a shipping option!

ALTHOUGH- when one opts for WORLDWIDE SHIPPING- no such warning/condition is made!

Does this mean absolutely NO EXPOSURE in the UK (and Australia) for items listed WITHOUT PAYPAL ???

Jumping to the UK site- I will note the following statement made at the time of listing:
"We're making transactions safer for eBay members by updating our Accepted Payments Policy. The Policy requires all sellers to offer PayPal as a payment method in their listings."

We sell very few items for which we do not accept PayPal.
HOWEVER- being told that WE MUST ACCEPT PayPal IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

This is the new reality for sellers.......you want to sell outside your country then you will have to accept Paypal. You can almost totally disregard PP seller protection policy because there are only a couple of circumstances under which the seller will be covered.

One of the major criteria is delivery confirmation for items under $250 and signature for items over $250, therefore:

TO USA: 1.small parcel surface, air or light packs - NOT COVERED (because confirmation is not available) 2. expedited or xpresspost only covered if under $250 since only delivery confirmation is available

INTERNATIONAL: 1. again no coverage on small parcels of any kind under 2K. 2. surface parcels - anything over 2K NO coverage at all since there is neither del conf or sig options available. You can get delivery confirmation if you can convince your customer to pay $250.06 for Purolator for a package that would cost $67.25 surface parcel - good luck with that!

The cherry on the top is that if you are a seller who has multiple purchases and combines shipping then you are completely SOL. A very large percentage of my business is multiple item buys so I'm assuming all the risk on virtually every package I mail because of all the PP loopholes.

They are great at spouting how wonderful the plan is and how grateful we should all be to have such terrific protection since they are the best, safest blah blah blah payment method. It just isn't true. Once you realize this you can figure out how to deal with it to suit your business.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Not anymore. Paypal(Ebay) lost in court. And they can no longer have the monopoly in Australia.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
YEAH !!!!!!!!!
At least for AUSTRALIA!

Now.....what about the UK?

AS AN ASIDE- You can still charge EXTRA if you reside in the UK- and sell within the UK, when you are accepting a PayPal payment.
This is a huge difference where this PAYMENT SURCHARGE practice is strictly against eBay.COM, and eBay.CA rules.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
No you can't Lina. That changed a few years ago.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
jakeeangel- I just went and checked the UK site.
It's been some time since I've visited this area.
YOU ARE CORRECT!!

According to eBay.CO.UK:
"Not permitted:
Electronic Money Services: Sellers who accept electronic money services as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay may not impose a surcharge. Electronic money services include, but are not limited to, services such as PayPal, Nochex, FastPay or Moneybookers."

HOWEVER:

":Permitted:

A seller can add a surcharge to the final price of the item in four instances:
Credit and Debit Card Payments - Surcharging is permitted where sellers accept credit or debit cards as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay. Such sellers will have merchant accounts with a bank or credit card company. These sellers may not pass on to the buyer a charge greater than the amount of the commission payable by the seller to the bank processing that credit or debit card payment. In other words, sellers may recoup the charges incurred as a direct consequence of accepting the credit or debit card, but no more. Please note that under English law, sellers have a legal right to pass onto the buyer the charges incurred for a credit or debit card transaction. However, this right does not apply to electronic money services. Where a credit or debit card is used to purchase electronic money to fund a transaction made via an electronic money service such as the ones listed above, this is not a credit or debit card transaction, but an electronic money service transaction."

So- if I am to understand correctly, in the UK- you can't charge on PayPal- but you can ADD A SURCHARGE, if you directly bill the customer- and they pay by CREDIT CARD. (both the seller and buyer being in the UK)
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
If you are in the UK and have your own debit or credit card merchant account, yes you can add a surcharge, otherwise no.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply