eBay Global shipping program?

Anybody else get invited to this?

They deal with all customs forms, etc by shipping to a US address?  Feedback is protected from low ratings etc?

What the heck are they talking about?

I said yes, and now they are going to revise all my listings.  I don't understand this nebulous program.  Can anybody sum it up gracefully?

Thank you!

There is no reasoning with the unreasonable.
Message 1 of 322
latest reply
321 REPLIES 321

Re: eBay Global shipping program?

A lot of US sellers (especially) don't understand how important shipping costs are to a sale......

but the cost of shipping often makes or breaks the sale.

Selling has become more about shipping costs than the items themselves.

I cannot fathom why someone would list a $2,000 item with $60 shipping.

For higher end items or those so called "Museum Pieces" (isn't that a term that grates?)...., why not list with free shipping or under $10 and then if you want to upgrade pay it out of pocket.

It makes no sense to risk a sale like that for a few dollars, but I see that on a regular basis.

A buyer purchasing an item for $2,000 will purchase it for $2,060............ but may pass on the same item for $2,000 with $60 shipping.

I see it all the time.

Message 121 of 322
latest reply

Constantly.

You predicted this was going to happen.

At this point the deals are still not there for me.

Since the quarter point of the year is coming close i may see some price adjustments on Deadstock.

Then again maybe not.

Oh well, buy Canadian.

Message 122 of 322
latest reply

My Canadian sales are and always have been very low.

I have no explanation for that.

Maybe things will change in the near future, but somehow I don't think so.

Message 123 of 322
latest reply

I just encountered another one of these..............

The seller has the item listed via the GSP.

I asked if he'd ship without it, and he quoted me a price for shipping without using the GSP.

At this point there are a lot of bids on the item, but he still thinks he can just alter the listing so that the GSP is out of the mix if i win.

In reality, the item will have to be cancelled and re-listed just for me.

Most of the sellers who signed onto the program have no idea at all how it works.

They just saw that they could save on FVFs and jumped on board.

I don't blame them a bit.............  They trusted ebay to be looking out for them when they did that............. NOT.

The system is so insulting to us....................... everyone.

They just think we're going to roll over and stupidly pay those fees.

Unbelievable!

Message 124 of 322
latest reply

Or they could invoice you through Paypal.

Message 125 of 322
latest reply

Or they could invoice you through Paypal.

I like that option better, but wouldn't that still mean that the ebay transaction would have to be cancelled or ignored?

I've considered that for one of my other run ins with the GSP, but I'm not sure how that would work.

Could the seller send a paypal invoice for an ebay transaction which over-rides the ebay details while still having it recognized as any ebay sale?

Message 126 of 322
latest reply

I believe you can send a Paypal Invoice with the option of clicking on "Ebay Goods".

Cannot recall if that is still the option term, been a while since i sent an invoice.

Not sure if a Paypal Invoice with the eBay option over-rides the eBay details.

Someone should know.

Message 127 of 322
latest reply

Thank you............ and than you PJ :).

If that can be done that's far better than the method I was using and if I win I'll ask the seller to do it that way.

I know that a paypal invoice can be sent if a seller has refunded .............. so it should work.

Never thought of that.

Message 128 of 322
latest reply

Don't take it as the Gospel I*m.

As i mentioned previously, I am not totally positive as it has been awhile since i sent a Paypal Invoice.

Be sure to let us know what you find out.

That information could be helpful down the road.

Message 129 of 322
latest reply

dbm-mc
Community Member

This program is likely put in place for 2 reasons so Pitney Bowes can make more money and the US government can get their share of it.

In my first unknowing run in with this system a seller tried to charge me some outrageous duty and handling fee about $50 I said no deal and he folded. got the parts from another seller in Canada.

I now just stay clear or any seller who offers this service and advise others to do the same.

Dave M.

Message 130 of 322
latest reply

"and the US government can get their share of it."

The US government?

Where do they come in?

The program covers shipping costs to foreign destinations, handling by Pitney Bowes (minus the commission they pay eBay), brokerage fee paid to Custom brokers handling the shipment in receiving country (maybe Pitney Bowes, associates or contractors, depending on the country) and the foreign government receiving the duty and taxes payable at time of importation.

I do not see where the US governmenbt get anything out of the Global Shipping service offered by eBay.

Message 131 of 322
latest reply

Maybe they are talking about taxes Pierre, but then again maybe not.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

Message 132 of 322
latest reply

As a Canadian buyer of US sold goods on eBay this makes one more thing I have to watch for in a listing.If you see this:Import charges:To be provided at checkout,then you can expect to pay even more for shipping.The seller doesn't really disclose this in the description and only after you have agreed to purchase the item do you find out.I can  see this being a deterrent to buyers and forcing them to look for the item from other sellers.   

Message 133 of 322
latest reply

"The seller doesn't really disclose this in the description"

The seller has nothing to do with all these charges.  To find out what they are, buyers should look at the same listing on eBay.com where the information is available.

Message 134 of 322
latest reply

Yes.I see that now.Thanks for pointing that out.Now if I want an item from a US seller I can see just how much eBay is ripping me for.Makes me feel a whole lot better...NOT.

Message 135 of 322
latest reply

This is the last item I bought: Subtotal:US $34.99 Shipping & handling:US $15.21 Import charges:US $10.59 Total:US $60.79.I have never had to pay duty or tax on purchases under $100.Looks like someone has come up with a new scam to make some extra bucks!

Message 136 of 322
latest reply

I believe you can send a Paypal Invoice with the option of clicking on "Ebay Goods".

Cannot recall if that is still the option term, been a while since i sent an invoice.

Not sure if a Paypal Invoice with the eBay option over-rides the eBay details.

Someone should know.

I have done it that way on a few occasions.  When I selected "eBay Goods" it would direct me back to eBay's Pay Now.  I had to select "Service" to be able to send the invoice for the eBay transaction.  Then when the payment was received I just marked it as paid in My eBay.

Message 137 of 322
latest reply

Looks like the American sellers are using this option and they aren't reading the the terms and agreement before they do.

Message 138 of 322
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Today 2 US sellers told me that they had NO IDEA that they "joined" GSP!!  One of them had a hard time to opt out of this insane program and had to call eBay to remove it! 

Apparently eBay is very sneaky to do that to US sellers as eBay wants way too much $$$.  What a tragedy that eBay had to do that after all they have earned in billions of $$$ and still want more???!!!

Another disappointing thing today, when I relisted some books only to find out they no longer offer free subtitle for any books, have to remove the subtitles as they are charging $1.50 starting April 1, 2013!  I have to watch out with my other books that has Good until Cancelled so they don't get rolled over with an $1.50 additional charge!  I have to cancel them and then relist them without subtitle.  What a pity!!

Message 139 of 322
latest reply

shadowman_65
Community Member

TO ALL USA SELLERS,,,,IF WANT TO KEEP CANADIEN CUSTOMERS,,OPT OUT FROM GSP

Message 140 of 322
latest reply