how can I make a partial payment for an item I just purchased. The seller has agreed to payments.

6 REPLIES 6

how can I make a partial payment for an item I just purchased. The seller has agreed to payments.

xeposter
Community Member

Here is what the seller will need to do:

Go to Paypal, choose Request Money and then Create Invoice.  It will walk them through it.  They can send you a series of invoices and as you pay one, you then click on the next one and then the one after that until they are all paid

Hope this helps.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

It's even easier and safer than that.

If you make a PP payment, and there is a problem , PP will only force the refund of the FIRST payment. Any others are gone gone gone.

And the seller is not required to ship until he is paid in full.

Instead, sigh up for Paypal if you have not already done so. Add your credit card as the primary payment form.

Then pay the seller immediately and in full.

The seller can then ship your item immediately.

Pay off the credit card at your leisure.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hi 

Thanks for your response.  The problem is that ebay won't allow us to exchange info, thus the seller can't send me a paypal invoice for partial payment.  I had to get a non-payment registered against my account - and the seller relisted the item.  I will make an offer again once i have full payment ready and we will repeat the process.

In my opinion, ebay is too restrictive and trying to maintain control over its users - while at the same time trying to protect its members.  Considering that the sale was through ebay and the payments through paypal, what is the problem with the seller being allowed to have my paypal id so they can send more than one invoice?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

eBay doesn't allow email addresses to be sent through messages as they trying to control someone from arranging to make the purchase outside of ebay.  It can definitely be a pain.

You said that you've already made the purchase.....If your eBay and Paypal email address are the same, the seller can see your eBay address on the email that they received from eBay when the purchase was made. Also, if there are using selling manager, it can be set up to show buyer's email addresses. I'm not sure if the same option is available if the seller is using my eBay rather than sales manager.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Or as noted, add a credit card to your Paypal account.

Pay the seller in full.

Pay off the card at your leisure.

Bonus, f you use layaway and if there is a problem with the item, PP would only refund the first partial payment .

The problem is that you are trying to reinvent the wheel.

All you need is a credit card.

And good enough credit to get one, of course.

It's not a problem because... it's not.-- Kaywinnet Lee Frye

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Femme, I guess I'm more old school than you because I rarely recommend putting anything on a credit card unless the amount  is going to be paid off in full on the next bill.   Obviously in this case, the OP wouldn't be able to do that. I think that it's great that they are willing to wait to get the item until it is paid in full.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply