"ITEM NOT RECEIVED" CLAIM FILED ON FIRST BUSINESS DAY

I sold on item on Saturday at 7:42:35.  A claim was filed for "Item Not Received" on Monday at 7:47:38 PST.  I  called eBay and they said it did not go through them, it was a  PayPal claim.  I called PayPal and they said there was nothing they could do, that the claim came through from her Credit Card provider.  I asked to speak to a supervisor, and he told me the same thing.  It was suggested that I refund or ship the item.  I chose to ship the item because I do not wish to receive a "defect" on my selling account.  

The  purchaser was livid!  She said she  will do everything she needs to do to make sure I don't get my money back and it will be held until she gets it.

She also told me that she paid with a PayPal Credit and NOT with a credit card.

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

I'm sorry for butting in but this situation puzzled me so much I had to ask Raphael from ebay Canada at Board Hour about it. 

Here is the link: http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/November-23rd-2016-Weekly-Session/td-p/357771/highli...

Message 41 of 82
latest reply

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 4.10.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 4.10.29 PM.png

Message 42 of 82
latest reply

I'm feeling as if I need to explain my motivation for doing so and it's honestly not to make a point but simply because this is one of the oddest stories I've heard of things-gone-wrong with a transaction and genuinely wanted to know what ebay would recommend as the manner in which it should be settled. 

I hope everything ends well for you, giftsof....

Message 43 of 82
latest reply

Raphael seems to be assuming that the buyer still wants the item. If they wanted the item I doubt that they would have opened an inr.  I still say thst if the seller asked the buyer through messaging if they wanted to cancel or wanted the item shipped and the buyer requested a cancellation that cancelling it (if possible) would not cause a defect.  But As Toby pointed out it would have been easiest to refund through the open case and there is no defect for an inr.

Message 44 of 82
latest reply

I also assume the buyer still wanted the item. 

I assume the INR on Day One was about impatience with dispatch. Not 'not wanting it' anymore. The buyer had ample opportunity to ask for a cancellation and just didn't. 

But we could go back and forth on this all day and night. I see it differently than do you, but I wanted to know how ebay would view it and this is that.

Message 45 of 82
latest reply

That's Raphael's view if buyer still wants the item.  The op didn't say (unless I missed it) if the buyer said whether she still wanted it shipped or nott.  If she specified that she didn't want the item I imagine that his answer would have been different.  

According to post 1 the buyer was livid so what was she livid about?  I thought it was because she wanted a refund, not the item

Message 46 of 82
latest reply

My entire point is that, as far as ebay is concerned, unless the buyer initiates a request to Cancel an Order via ebay, ebay will assume the buyer wants to proceed with the order. If she had canceled the order and issued a refund, she would have gotten a defect for her efforts.

Message 47 of 82
latest reply

Unless you're all trying to say she should have refunded via paypal and then eaten the FVFs by NOT cancelling it on ebay.

(If that can even be done before an order is shipped without ebay figuring it out and giving the seller a defect anyway.)

Message 48 of 82
latest reply

Can't a seller cancel an order with "buyer changed mind" as the option, that avoids a defect as far as I know right?

I have done this when a buyer requests to cancel, as far as I can remember I've done this both before and after they've paid and never got dinged in either case... because I used "buyer changed mind" as the reason. (they didn't necessarily open a case, they sent me a regular message asking to cancel)

One could do that in eBay, that would refund the item via PAYPAL automagically which solves that problem too doesn't it?

Message 49 of 82
latest reply

It doesn't. They check messages to see if that, in fact, happened.
Message 50 of 82
latest reply

In order words, eBay doesn't accept 'buyer changed mind' as the reason for the cancellation unless your eBay messages reflect it actually happened.
Message 51 of 82
latest reply

Or there is already an outstanding Cancel Order request initiated by the buyer.
Message 52 of 82
latest reply

Do you know for a fact that fvf are not credited when a buyer is refunded through a PP claim?  They are not refunded if you refund through the transaction but they used to be credited when we refunded through a PP case.  If it isn't done like that now then the seller would have to phone eBay to get the credit.

There is no defect given for Inrs and as I said before, if one was given by mistake and the buyer did say they wanted a refund, it would not be difficult to get a defect removed because it would be a buyer requested cancellation. 

Even IF the fvf were not credited and there was a possibility of a defect, it still does not make sense imo to ship an item to a buyer if they have said that they don't want it.  Because we don't know for sure if they did or didn't still want it shipped, it'S not really possible to answer what the best way would be to handle a situation like this. 

Message 53 of 82
latest reply

Hmmm but when I as a seller create a cancellation case, the buyer has to ok it before it is completed, so at that time they are accepting the fact that they changed their mind and eBay should be happy too. I can't start and finish a cancellation in eBay myself, the buyer always has to ok it as far as I know.

Perhaps I've missed something in the earlier discussion??

Message 54 of 82
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
In order words, eBay doesn't accept 'buyer changed mind' as the reason for the cancellation unless your eBay messages reflect it actually happened.

As ric said, the buyer requested cancellation in an a message.

Message 55 of 82
latest reply

I have no idea whether FVFs are credited automatically after a PayPal case. They're separate so I doubt it. I'm questioning all this for clarification: I don't get INRs either on eBay or PayPal. Only cancel order requests prior to payment due to kids shopping unattended.
Message 56 of 82
latest reply

The buyer has to initiate the cancel order to avoid a defect. Not only agree to it.
Message 57 of 82
latest reply

Often now when you as the seller hit cancel>buyer requested or problem with the address it  closes instantly.  Believe that is based on if there have been messages between the parties.  No idea if there are other factors, but I get a surpising number who buy/pay and want to cancel.  One that was my bad went that way too after i messaged the buyer and got a response before hitting the cancel.  One that was an unauthorized credit card claim through paypal got closed in my favour on ebay by escalating the case but didnt refund the fee until I phoned (which was easy enough).  

No way would I send something I had a chance not to if there was already a claim open 

Message 58 of 82
latest reply

She did NOT ask for a cancellation.

Message 59 of 82
latest reply

Buyer DID NOT ask for a cancellation.  

Message 60 of 82
latest reply