"Top Rated Plus" versus "From Canada".

As I was checking out ebay.com, I got a nasty surprise. As a Canadian doll jewelry maker & seller, I was shocked to see that USA Sellers' listings are marked as "Top Rated Plus" whereas my listings only show as "From Canada".

I've worked hard at my "Top Rated Plus" status, but I now clearly am a second class Ebay member on the USA web site, which in my view looks like a form of discrimination. Ebay is purposefully going out of its way to creating an uneven playing field for us Canadians and any other Countries with accredited Sellers of same status. There is no doubt it hurts my sales, the number of visits alone tell the story by comparison from year to year.

Can Ebay officials explain the reason for this discriminatory and are they willing to stop this practice?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

As a Canadian Seller, I completely share your concern. Yo...

I understand your hurt feelings (and as a seller myself, how this might hurt your sales) but from the buyer's point of view, any Canadian purchase is likely to take longer for delivery, cost more for shipping, and may attract duty and sales tax.

So it is more important for the customer to understand that upfront than to be told that you are a super seller.

Hmm- is there any icon or logo for "Top Rated Plus" that you could drop into your listings? I used to have the PowerSeller logo on most of my listings though I eventually stopped doing that,f or reasons I do not remember.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

You're not allowed to post your own "TopRated Plus" logo - that;s  violation and ebay considetrs it a serious one.

You'll just have to live with the situation.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for your comment however it is clear that you have completely misunderstood the issue I was trying to describe. I never had any intention to post my own top Rated Plus logo anywhere, as a matter of fact, I would not have the first clue of how to do that.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my concern. I like to clarify a misconception in regards to Canadian postal rates. It so happens that the USA postal rate have risen to such an extent that it costs more than twice to ship from the USA to Canada ($7.35) than from Canada to the USA ($3.00). I also noticed that many of my bubble envelopes take between 3 and 5 days to get to the USA. There may be duty to be paid on both sides of the border - it is always a matter of how lucky one gets.
As to my issue, all I am asking is that sellers on both sides of the border are treated equally, after all we pay the same fees as our USA counterpart. I think that is only fair.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

As a Canadian Seller, I completely share your concern. You have perfect feedback, you love your American buyers and likely go the extra mile to earn all those fabulous customers and repeat business. Yet you see 'high volume' local & overseas sellers on ebay.com showing the top rated logo displayed with a history of mixed feedback. 

It does appear there is a double standard that is causing Top Rated trustworthy Canadian sellers to fall through the cracks which is a big let-down especially when 80% of our sales are usually to the US.

We are Top Rated as well and lost Top Rated visibility only in the US this summer due to changes on eBay. eBay needs to realize this and make it a fair marketplace.  Build bridges and encourage those that want to succeed!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply