some advice on package not receved by buyer

Hello

What is my responsibility for an item lost in the mail ??

I haven't sold on eBay since 2006 and have started to get back into things and have run into my first problem buyer.  I live in Canada and sold an Item to Australia.  The buyer insisted on the cheapest shipping possible with no insurance.  Now over a month latter I  am getting nasty emails saying they didn't get their Item and they want there money back.  Being reasonable with them is not working, I am on the verge of telling them to shove it somewhere and except the negative and a complaint about me to eBay. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

By law, the seller is responsible for their merchandise until it reaches the buyer. The only way you can win an item not received claim through Paypal or ebay is by showing with delivery confirmation that the buyer did receive the item.

It sounds like you might have used surface mail to Australia which can take as long as 3 months. Since a buyer only has 45 days to put in a claim for an item not received, it's not a good idea to use surface mail for overseas items. Some sellers use it and it works for them but it does seem to cause problems for a lot of other sellers. A buyer doesn't want to wait 3 months, to find out their item isn't coming and that it is too late to file a claim.

You really should set up shipping for the U.S. and the other countries that you ship to. Quite often, listings that do not have a shipping price for another country will not be shown to buyers in that country. Also, then buyers see the shipping price on the search page and are aware of the total cost before they bid or buy. Not having the shipping price listed can cause a lot of problems.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Never ship outside of North America by any form of surface transport. It is just not worth the hassle. No matter what the buyers says to you, buyers will start complaining about slow delivery, and no matter what Canada Post may say about the delivery time, especially to down under, it is very slow ( some day they may replace the sail powered packet ship that the use on Pacific surface shipments).

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The advice of the other posters here is sound, and will save you from these issues in future.  I doubt the item is entirely lost in the mail -- it will most likely eventually show up, but far too late to do you any good.     

To deal with the problem at hand, I would say you have two choices, depending on your point of view about the ultimate outcome.  These options are based on the assumption that you have no proof of delivery: 

1)  Do you want to try to placate the buyer (is it even possible?) in order to hope he/she won't trash your DSRs and leave negative FB?  If your seller ratings are the most critical factor to you, I would offer an immediate refund -- hopefully this is not an expensive item -- and explain to the buyer that when the item does arrive, you would ask that the buyer either return it to you unopened or allow you to re-invoice for it.  If returned, it may take another 2 or 3 months to reach you, but you'll be able to re-sell it and recoup some of your loss. 

This will obviously only work if you're still on polite terms with the buyer.  The buyer is entitled to make an INR claim, but it may be possible to lessen the eventual damage to your seller status, if the buyer will communicate.  

By the way, have you considered telephoning?  The buyer's phone # is sometimes available on the eBay or Paypal transaction record.  If you have a pleasant telephone manner, I find it's much easier to work out difficult problems and establish a human connection by phone.  Yes, it would be on your dime, but remember that as a seller you are responsible to ensure the buyer either gets the item or gets a refund.  And if you phone, be apologetic, calm, polite and have a solution to offer the buyer (refund).    

The way I see it, you took the risk of using surface shipping to Australia -- even though it was at the buyer's request, the ultimate responsibility is the seller's.  Given a choice, buyers will always choose the cheapest shipping (they don't often appreciate the differences in shipping services, nor should they have to care).  Given a situation like this, I would "subsidize" my buyer's shipping, i.e. pay out of my own pocket for an upgrade so that I can send the item via air (actually I never show surface rates in my listings - yes, this may reduce the number of potential buyers, but you've discovered the unpleasant alternative).  If you can't afford to "subsidize" overseas shipping on the items you're selling, then I'd suggest that you consider not shipping to Australia or other overseas destinations until you can afford such subsidies.  

2)  Do you see it as more or less inevitable that this buyer will trash your DSRs/FB no matter what you do now?  If so, and if you're past the point of being able to communicate reasonably with the buyer, let the buyer open an INR case if he/she wants to.  You will lose the case without proof of delivery, and be obliged to refund in any event.  At that point (and after the buyer has left whatever FB/DSRs he feels are owing), you are done with this transaction, and can learn from it and move on.  

Even if a claim is opened by the buyer and a refund is made, I think there is still potential to salvage something out of the situation if you're able to communicate with the buyer.  There is the possibility the buyer may return the item, or (if he/she is an honest type) may advise you once it's received so you can re-invoice.  You may be able to work these requests into your communications with Paypal.  

Ultimately I think the outcome depends on whether you can (or want to) re-establish reasonable communication with the buyer.  But you do need to recognize that the fault was yours as seller, and you should take steps not to allow this situation to happen again.  

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I agree with rose and fatdane.

If you do decide to phone, remember the 13 hour time difference. I've been awoken by 2 am calls from DD when she was at university in Adelaide.

And if it does go to a Dispute, refund voluntarily before PP does. You will be out the money either way, but if PP has to chase you, that will go on your Seller Record.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Oh dear. You sell coins. I'm sorry.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@dale-and-lisa wrote:

Hello

What is my responsibility for an item lost in the mail ??

I haven't sold on eBay since 2006 and have started to get back into things and have run into my first problem buyer.  I live in Canada and sold an Item to Australia.  The buyer insisted on the cheapest shipping possible with no insurance.  Now over a month latter I  am getting nasty emails saying they didn't get their Item and they want there money back.  Being reasonable with them is not working, I am on the verge of telling them to shove it somewhere and except the negative and a complaint about me to eBay. 

Sounds like fun, but, not so much. Ya get the red doughnut, nasty remarks, case closed against you. Over what? Money?

Buyer is getting under yer skin. Do not allow that. This is business. Do not make business personal. Pretend you are WOOLCO, oops, Eatons, oops, Zellers, oops, WalMart. Just give the refund.

Repeat ad nauseam, "Parcel is in the mail, surface can take three months". Say nothing else. Should they open a case, respond. Give them their chance to respond, this buys you time, then refund. Paypal will force the refund anyway. Ya want a case closed against you as well? That is unnecessary.

If this was yer employer's money and not yers, what would you do? You would refund as it does not come out of your pocket.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the helpful replies.  I sent the Buyer a nice email with options and am waiting a reply and see how that goes. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I had the same experience selling some trading cards to Australia. Buyer got impatient, but they arrived eventually, after around a month.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply