50% UPS Brokerage fee????

kazoobers
Community Member
I bought an item that was $99.95 US. The Seller charged me $16.00 for UPS standard shipping to Canada.

The package arrived and here is a Brokerage C.O.D. due to UPS for $54.17. What a rip! The seller said nothing about additional fees due IN ADDITION to the $16.00 I paid him for the shipping. By looking under Help in eBay, I see there is nothing I can do about it.
The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
Bobby Heenan
Message 1 of 950
latest reply
949 REPLIES 949

sysfixr
Community Member
da 😉

was gonna do Korean, but I don't understand ANY of it,
At least with Russian I can make out every 4'th letter lol

my *other* witty comment is on my bumper sticker
Message 601 of 950
latest reply

pcbayview
Community Member
I too recently received a package from the US using UPS. Their broker fee was almost 50% of what the product shipped to me cost. I called them and basically was told to bad, their fees are based on the value of the cost not their service. They not only lost client, they now have created a negative campaign souce for not good reason
Message 602 of 950
latest reply

bump2k
Community Member
My advice is rotten - don't pay it! Let them come and find you.

That's what I would do, but wtf? There is no reason for fees to be that high, and they are already the subject of a class action suit for doing this.
Message 603 of 950
latest reply

gregcarolann
Community Member
NEVER EVER USE UPS my story is the same as the others $24 item $10 UPS shipping $35 brokerage fees. When bringing things into Canada use USPS.

TTFN Greg
Message 604 of 950
latest reply

brat320
Community Member
Never ever use UPS to ship from the US to Canada, they are the biggest rip off on brokerage fees. I won a free book once in a contest and ended up having to pay $40. The retail price of the book was $25.

Most US sellers are totally unaware of this and are appalled, but sometimes they have to ship UPS for various reasons. I bought a camera bag (no on eBay) that is only available in the US, and they use UPS, in order to get insurance coverage, I had to send them an email waiving any claims for damage or non delivery and they shipped USPS.

Message 605 of 950
latest reply

i*post*with*this*id
Community Member
Gowns, the reason you didn't get charged anything when the customer returned stuff to you is because it was a return & they filled out the papers properly. If they just sent it to you without indicating it was a return to you, the seller, because of a defect you may have been hit.

Americans have a higher import limit than Canadians do. That may also have been the reason. I don't know the value of the goods returned.

If you intentionally mark the form wrong, you'll have a problem with UPS & maybe even Canada Customs. It's called fraud. I don't think you'll get away with that.
Message 606 of 950
latest reply

brat320
Community Member
As I said, it's not the sellers fault, they almost certainly do not know. When I lived it the US, I used UPS for years without any issues. I used to use UPS within Canada for years also was very happy with the service.

It's only after I started importing stuff from the US, that I got stung and found out about this. Now, I avoid UPS even within Canada, since I'm so p****d at them.

I do think that eBay should warn of this under Excessive Shipping Charges Policy, even if they cannot name the company, they should warn buyers that it is their responsibility to check it out.

Message 607 of 950
latest reply

brat320
Community Member
Funny thing, I just noticed that the first thread in this forum "CANADIANS: Read before you purchase from the USA!!!"

...very specifically warns of this problem

Message 608 of 950
latest reply

patchwork_monkey
Community Member
re: #607
It's not serendipity.
It's there for a reason.

Photobucket
Message 609 of 950
latest reply

tys_obrien
Community Member
Hello, I was just about to buy a new TV on ebay for about 600, and I decided to read up on the FAQ for this seller and one of the questions was about additional payments to Canada and UPS Customs Brokerage Fees was one of them. I'm not sure if I understand it completely. I checked the website at UPS and they said they'll charge about $51.00 for something thats going for $600, so would that $51.00 be all that I have to pay for additional charges or would that be more. Shipping is $85.00 if this helps. Thanks
Message 610 of 950
latest reply

bump2k
Community Member
Some advice: warrantees are void the minute it crosses the border - is it worth the cost if it arrives broken? They seem to be charging a fair amount, but how do they know what UPS is actually going to charge you in brokerage fees or what duties and taxes will be?
Message 611 of 950
latest reply

tys_obrien
Community Member
Well I think I got that wrong I'm not sure. I got the $51.00 from the ups website http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html and I don't know it says $500 - $750 would be $51.00, I'm not even sure if that $51.00 is the Brokerage fees. I thought it was.
Message 612 of 950
latest reply

bump2k
Community Member
Probably not - more likely that's the shipping cost and only the shipping cost. Ask more questions before you bid and remember that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Message 613 of 950
latest reply

bump2k
Community Member
Don't forget that anywhere along the line somebody could assess the value of the item as being more than you paid and add more fees on.
Message 614 of 950
latest reply

bangmeplz
Community Member
Some advice: warrantees are void the minute it crosses the border - is it worth the cost if it arrives broken?

ummmmmmmmm ...... what? ...... If I order an item from the states and it arrives broken, you are telling me that I am up the proverbial creek without a paddle? I find that hard to believe.

Ask more questions before you bid

The seller is not responsible for foreseeing what the border charges may or may not be, and in most cases would not even know. UPS charges the seller the shipping costs to get it from seller to buyer, then they charge the buyer to broker it into the country, at which time Canada decides if the item gets charged duties etc., and applies them to the buyer. That is a rough translation of what happens anyways. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Message 615 of 950
latest reply

tys_obrien
Community Member
Well thanks anyway for the info everyone, and I guess I'll be looking somewhere else for a new tv.
Message 616 of 950
latest reply

bump2k
Community Member
Not up the creek without a paddle, just up the creek with dollar bills stuck to the ends of the paddles with shipping fees written on them.
Message 617 of 950
latest reply

i*post*with*this*id
Community Member
Warranties depend on the manufacturer. Don't take blanket advice. Find out for yourself. Some do honor warranties of items bought cross border and some don't BUT it may also depend on if you bought from an authorized dealer. And that means someone they authorize to sell their products like Best Buy USA or Circuit City or similar but not necessarily Joe Seller on eBay.

Find out for yourself from the manufacturer. Call them directly and ask. Some manufacturers do honor cross border purchases if you buy from an authorized retailer and if you have the receipt showing when & what store you bought it from. Generally, that doesn't include eBay sellers but since some are authorized dealers, call & find out for sure.
Message 618 of 950
latest reply

Try Best Buy or Future Shop ... The Brick ... Sears outlet stores...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Message 619 of 950
latest reply

tys_obrien
Community Member
Hello again, I tried some websites for future shop and the brick but there just to expensive compared to ebay. But I have another question about brokerage fees, just wanted to know how do they determined what the brokerage fees are because now I can get the exact same tv from the same seller for about 500.00 and I'm tempted. Compared to instore I can save about $200 would it be worth it? Thanks for the help
Message 620 of 950
latest reply