Any way to claim something from almost two years ago, if it had a voided warranty?

elkfryn
Community Member

So on the December of 2015, I bought a PSU from eBay. When I received it, it worked great until it recently stopped functioning. I checked in with the manufacturer, since they're known for 10 year warranties and this PSU only entered production in 2013. However, after communicating with them, they tell me that the warranty for the PSU I bought was void. So I'm wondering if there is any possible way I can get a claim for this, if so how would I be able to contact eBay staff regarding this, or am I SoL since too much time has passed?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Any way to claim something from almost two years ago, if it had a voided warranty?

Was it used when you bought it? If so, that may explain why the warranty is void (although I cannot be sure).

And eBay cannot help you with that. It's been 2 years since your purchase. I guess you could try to contact your seller, but he is not obligated to anything. With that said, it is worth a try...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Re: Any way to claim something from almost two years ago, if it had a voided warranty?

Most manufacturers will only honour warranties on items purchased through authorized retailers.

Most online sellers are not authorized retailers.

They do this for a couple of reasons.

To protect their dealers.

And more importantly, because the manufacturer has no idea how the 'unauthorized' item was treated between the factory and your doorstep.

It might have been liquidated after a fire or flood in a dealer's shop. It might be refurbished. It might be used. It might be stolen or counterfeit.

They don't know.

At best, you may be able to get the name of your local dealer who can, for a price, supply parts and labour to fix your item.

The trade off for a low price is often low quality, in this case a lower level of service.

TL /DR-- no.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

It just struck me that there will be a lot of merchandise coming up in the next year, that survived the flooding in Texas, Florida and the US south.

More or less survived, anyway.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

That's a risk with an Ebay purchase.  From the seller's side, they have no way of knowing how the item has been used or abused since the sale.  Was it put into commercial use, been in a damp basement, got wet and has been dried out?  Not saying you did anything wrong but if seller's were held to a manufacturer's multi-year warranty they would be scammed silly,   The cost of these items would go way up to.  

Unless the seller made a claim that the warranty was in force, there is no claim.  Your recourse would be in court, and unless there were representations, I don't see the case having a chance.  

Chalk it up to experience, just assume anything bought on Ebay does not have a manufacturer warranty.  Even if it is stated, I would do some research to double check before spending much money on it. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply