Asendia / UniUni are HORRIBLE for Canadians buying in the US! Solution in the text.

zamuler
Community Member

Asendia / UniUni are HORRIBLE for Canadians buying in the US! First of all, the tracking number provided in ebay doesn't work unless you go here https://a1.asendiausa.com/tracking/ Then you get another tracking number. That's right. This company works with 2 different sets of tracking numbers. **bleep**? The one provided in ebay is called "original tracking number" and doesn't work. The second one you get on the website above is called "tracking number" and works. I had to dig through Google and Reddit to find this website out because it's not mentionned anywhere. Plus, Asendia / UniUni have multiple different websites making it all the more confusing.

What's worse is this company doens't leave a printed notice of their delivery attempt. So you don't know. They don't send an email. They don't call. Trying to physically find their warehouse is impossible. No phone numbers. No nothing. You're left trying to wonder where the heck is your stuff.

The days of using USPS were infintely better. I'm told US based sellers don't have a choice in the matter. They're forced to use the ebay international shipping program. That sucks BIG time. Ebay should let the seller choose bewteen sending it through the program or by themselves choosing the carrier they or the seller wants. Plus, the s&h prices of that program are often WAY too high.

If ebay doesn't change back, I see myself buying a LOT less in the US. It's just not worth the hassle.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Asendia / UniUni are HORRIBLE for Canadians buying in the US! Solution in the text.

It's called nationalism and it is what your nation wanted, make you buy local...

...and it is not going away, it will get worse.

AMAZON is under the gun to change all their packaging to paper and reusable in North America, as they have been doing in the EU.

And as for the Brokerage Fee that is here to stay, so watch out for that when you import merchandise also as an importer.

Shop Canadian!! That it is what your cronies inpower want afterall...

With the new lower Canada Post shipping costs it's cheaper to shop local for most things now, unless its a HTF collectable...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

The eBay International Shipping (eIS) system and its predecessor, the Global Shipping Program (GSP) are/were basically glorified international forwarding services.  eIS has a lot of perks for the sellers that use it to the point that shipping internationally through the system exposes the seller to less liability and responsibility than shipping directly to international buyers and even shipping within the US.

It is not mandatory that US sellers use eIS to ship outside of the country and anybody who insists that it is is either misinformed, clueless, or just making excuses.  It's been around for a couple of years now and it's still a work in progress.  Promised features to buyers such as combined shipping, the choice within the listing of eIS or an alternative shipping method provided by the seller, and the choice between paying taxes, duties, and brokerage at your door or at Checkout, are still slowly being rolled out.

I'd never heard about UniUni or Uni Express until a few months ago when users such as yourself, @zamuler. started posting about it in connection with eIS.  They may be headquartered in Richmond just across the strait from me on Vancouver Island, but I get the sense that they don't actually have a presence in my neck of the woods.  My two items that were forwarded through eIS were handled by Canada Post for the "last mile".  My sense is that eIS, like the GSP before it, isn't wedded to one particular last mile carrier; the carrier used will probably depend on cost, availability, the nature of the item being handled, and, of course, the item's final destination.

As for your concerns about cost, as eIS is a forwarding service you're paying the seller's charge for shipping the item to a forwarding hub (likely in Illinois) plus eIS's shipping charge for getting the item from the hub to its final destination.  I generally find that eIS's charges are a bit cheaper than the equivalent USPS service's counter rate, but sometimes adding the seller's charge for getting the item to Illinois can be a deal-breaker.  By the way, that's why you see multiple tracking numbers for your item.  I don't generally get too concerned about checking the tracking for my item until the estimated delivery dates as the information usually doesn't do me much good, but I've found that Parcelsapp is a pretty good universal tracking site that helps pull the various stages an eIS-forwarded item goes through in the delivery process.

How did you finally receive your item, anyway?  Or did you?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I purchase nothing from any Seller using EIS and I do not contact them to ask them to opt-out and use another service for any item I am interested in...

I have found I did not need the thing in the first place, so ended up saving money.

Not to mention the trip around the country before they even get into Canada, what a waste of energy...

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I totally agree UniUni is HORRIBLE! Received email and text advising me my package was delivered with photos. Apparently, driver was too lazy to buzz or call me so they simply left it in lobby of my apartment building where somebody helped themself to it.  Took me 5 days to get through to UniUni rep on the phone. I simply asked rep whether UniUni policy is to just leave package anywhere if receiver not available and she was unable to tell me that. Few days later, I got email telling me to check if somebody who lives with me received parcel (DUHH!!) and they were closing ticket. COMPLETE joke...I've orded stuff from ebay going back to 2000 and never had problem until now. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply