Buyer wants to end an auction 2 days early with an offer?

rbt1357
Community Member

If a buyer wants to end an auction 2 days early with an offer, should a seller consider accepting the offer if they like it, which would mean ending the listing ahead of schedule? This is in a situation where the Buy It Now has expired because bids have already been made on the item. Thank you for your feedback.

R  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Let the bidding go on. It will probably end with more than the offer since there is 2 days left. Politely invite the buyer with the offer to bid. Just a simple "Thank you for your interest in this item. I am not accepting offers. If interested, please place a bid." Do not say any more nor offer any excuses why you do not accept offers.  This buyer might end up winning and you do not want to upset them. The more you say, the more likely the buyer will get upset. As it is, if they win, not accepting their offer and if it went higher, will upset them.

PS I do not know how you will ship the TV for $45 within Canada for FedEx or UPS. Most likely $100+. Package the item well. The original box the TV came is is not a shipping box so it will require a double box to protect it which means more $ to ship.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

rbt1357
Community Member

Thank you very much for your informative reply. I didn't know about the double box requirement. That's very useful to know.

R  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Double box is not a requirement but a way to protect yourself from damage claims. 

By the way, FedEx and UPS will sell you insurance for the shipment but it is more for loss than damage. Unless they package it (Expensive), you will most likely not win a claim for damage.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I gotta agree with pocom.  Let the auction run its course.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

rbt1357
Community Member

Thank you very much for the additional information.

R

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

rbt1357
Community Member

Thank you very much for the advice.

R

Message 7 of 7
latest reply