Buying from China

I know with illegal fentanyl importation, customs inspections and the pushback on the Chinese government on their postal system it sure doesn't seem worth buying anything on Ebay from China these days. I frequently have to wait 2 - 3 months for items.

Even with paying for faster shipping options it is still taking way too long. Sometimes I wonder if the seller is pocketing the extra money paid for the faster shipping and taking a gamble the buyer doesn't complain. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Buying from China

@bpl521_sell wrote:

I know with illegal fentanyl importation, customs inspections and the pushback on the Chinese government on their postal system it sure doesn't seem worth buying anything on Ebay from China these days. I frequently have to wait 2 - 3 months for items.

Even with paying for faster shipping options it is still taking way too long. Sometimes I wonder if the seller is pocketing the extra money paid for the faster shipping and taking a gamble the buyer doesn't complain. 

Er, yes. I avoid purchasing from China but the three times in five years that I have, if the item came tracked it was fast and arrived right on time. It's the el cheapo postage version, you will wait. And wait. And wait. I don't think many Chinese sellers are fully aware of the problem with delays at the border. So, they probably do still send it the least expensive way and hope for the best.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Buying from China

You know the problem.

What is the solution?

What date were you given by eBay as the last estimated date for delivery?

That should tell you how long you will be waiting, and also indicated if the seller is using Air or Surface shipping.

If that date passes without delivery, open a Not Received dispute.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

If the item shows up later, you can return the refund using Paypal's Send Money service.

Never accept an offer of a replacement. It will be vapourware and never arrive either.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Buying from China

Like most things, it has to do with a threshold that you are willing to deal with.

The Chinese seller's I have worked with for orders of watch parts have all used ePacket but my orders have been around the $100 mark so they went for full tracking.

But, I did have one seller earlier this year that I bought over 5 mechanical watches from, pulled a fast one or sent it snail mail. I opened a case and they said: "However, it is also sad that you're opening this case, It does really bad influence on us sellers.

Communication can solve everything,pls communicate with us firstly before you open the case. Pls give us a chance to make everything right, we are willing to solve every problem for you.

Now please kindly close the case firstly, and then you can send us email to inform us. Once we got your message, we will arrange the reshipment for you with in 24 hours."

Ha! Like I am going to close the case. And guess what? I never got my items. That order was about $75. I got a full refund.

For most of my ePacket orders it takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive.

The one thing to keep in mind is that for some items, you may get genuine items but they will be QC rejects. Some of my movements are problematic, but for me that's not a huge issue as I will always need spare parts.

But back to the question, it also depends what you are ordering as that may have an impact on customs delays even if it is a faster service. For example chemicals, glues etc, would be subjected to more stringent checks than perhaps my watch parts. Just saying.

DS
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Buying from China

@femmefan1946 wrote:

You know the problem.

What is the solution?

What date were you given by eBay as the last estimated date for delivery?

That should tell you how long you will be waiting, and also indicated if the seller is using Air or Surface shipping.

If that date passes without delivery, open a Not Received dispute.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

If the item shows up later, you can return the refund using Paypal's Send Money service.

Never accept an offer of a replacement. It will be vapourware and never arrive either.

Yes, quite familiar with the refund process. I find a lot of sellers don't offer the faster e-packet service and some will take your money for the service and ship by the slower method. I feel no remorse filing a Item Not Received with those sellers.  For me it's I just don't want to wait 2-3 months for something, when a year or so ago it would take 2 weeks. Would gladly pay a little extra to get it quicker.  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Buying from China

@retroman_studios wrote:

Communication can solve everything,pls communicate with us firstly before you open the case. Pls give us a chance to make everything right, we are willing to solve every problem for you.

Now please kindly close the case firstly, and then you can send us email to inform us. Once we got your message, we will arrange the reshipment for you with in 24 hours."

Ha! Like I am going to close the case. And guess what? I never got my items. That order was about $75. I got a full refund.

For most of my ePacket orders it takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive.

The one thing to keep in mind is that for some items, you may get genuine items but they will be QC rejects. Some of my movements are problematic, but for me that's not a huge issue as I will always need spare parts.

DS

Yes, been burned a couple time with the old promise of we will ship a replacement item. Nope, no more, case gets filed and should it show up I will pay later. Counterfeit is also  a big problem, it is very rampant in electronics and it amazes me to the extent they will take it, like counterfeiting electronic components that sell for pennies. Even some of the big electronic component suppliers are having issues with counterfeit components making it into the supply chain.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply